redrumsixsix6
878 IQ
Yeah so this is the best place i think to put this in...

so, i need to soundproof my garage so that my band can practice w/o worrying about the noise, and so that we can possibly have small shows in there. Problem is my parents are renting this house so i cant like build a wall or anything. So how do you guys think i can go about soundproofing my garage w/o spending a crap load of money.
thanks alot!
Dutch_Apples
UG's Career Advisor
1,354 IQ
If you are planning to have shows in your garage, that's a pretty good sign you aren't doing too well booking gigs.

I've heard putting mattresses against the wall helps... you could do the egg carton thing but it's more work.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Baarmy_Sheep
Call me Will
739 IQ
go get some old shagpile carpet. they'll sell all the old patterns for cheap. should do the trick. also, if you're prepared to spend a bit more, get some pads for the drums
Baarmy_Sheep
Call me Will
739 IQ
Quote by Dutch_Apples
you could do the egg carton thing but it's more work.

no, dont use egg cartons. they just amplify the high freq, and dont soundproof at all. will sound bad.
Dutch_Apples
UG's Career Advisor
1,354 IQ
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
no, dont use egg cartons. they just amplify the high freq, and dont soundproof at all. will sound bad.

Why do you think I said more work? I've never tried it but remember reading it somewhere a few years back.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Baarmy_Sheep
Call me Will
739 IQ
yer, but it's more work which is also useless, because it will just make it sound worse. urban myth.
qurazy
Where's my damn pick?
182 IQ
Seriously My neighbors have never complained about the noise. Try playing un muffled, if the neighbors don't file a complaint, you're perfectly fine.
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
metalupurass45
162 IQ
you can only get in trouble if its past certain times in the night anyway....
talentsix
Got Hoppus?
829 IQ
It may not be his neighbors, my parents get mad just if I turn up my bass amp when i'm practicing by myself.
alexm23
Rocker
54 IQ
try hanging some carpets to dampen the noise, or just hang tons of old clothes and towels on the walls or whatnot. Cardboard from boxes is also nice to just put over the walls.
"Reality leaves much to the imagination" - Lennon
redrumsixsix6
878 IQ
yeah uhh well my family is renting the house....and were on month to month payment rather than like a year lease so if the neighbors complain which they have before we can get kicked out of the house.

i dont think just clothes will work...maybe a shit load of like garbage bags full of them on the wall. And the matress thing does work but my mom would flip shit if i started to bring matresses into the house....she hates when "garbage" is taken in haha although it would do us so well.

any other suggestions?
redrumsixsix6
878 IQ
Quote by Seirath
my faggot neighbours called the cops on my band and said they wouldnt if we practised from 3-5 every second day.
i live in canada and the cop said its a 24 hour law, does anyone know if thats true? or where i could find out

google it...
The Ted
Banned
20 IQ
Quote by metalupurass45
you can only get in trouble if its past certain times in the night anyway....

Urban legend. At any time you are considered annoying you can get the cops called on you.
evansut7
610 IQ
Quote by The Ted
Urban legend. At any time you are considered annoying you can get the cops called on you.

not 100% true. you do have rights that vary from town to town.

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/ny/rochester.htm

A.No person shall use or operate or permit to be used or operated any radio, television, phonograph, musical instrument or other machine or device for the producing, reproducing or amplification of sound with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing for the person or persons who are voluntary listeners thereto. It shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section if sound emanating from such machine or device is:
(1)Audible beyond the property line of the premises upon which it is being used between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.
(2)Audible at a distance of fifty (50) feet beyond the property line of the premises upon which it is being used between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
(3)Audible at a distance of fifty (50) feet from such machine or device if operated from within a motor vehicle on a public street.
(4)Audible at a distance of fifty (50) feet from such machine or device when operated in a public park or other public place.

Your better off talking to your neighbors and setting up times to practice that you wont be bothering anyone. soundproofing wont really work well. you cant really soundproof for low frequencys. they will hear your bass no matter how many mattresses you put against the walls.
frigginjerk
UG's Friggin' Jerk
1,160 IQ
Quote by Seirath
my faggot neighbours called the cops on my band and said they wouldnt if we practised from 3-5 every second day.
i live in canada and the cop said its a 24 hour law, does anyone know if thats true? or where i could find out

i live in canada too.... i think it's one of those "polite canadian" things... the law in most cities (i can't speak for your town specifically) says that after 11:00 PM, anything deemed to be excessive or unecessary noise that disturbs neighbours is grounds to be fined or warned under the by-law.

however, if your neighbours make a big enough stink about it (and old people usually do), they can exaggerate and tell they police that you aren't just being loud, you're outright disturbing the peace, which is illegal all the time. I'm sure your neighbours called the cops saying "these kids are having a damn woodstock in the backyard! i can't hear a damn thing! My children are scared! they've been at it for days! etc... etc..."

but for the threadstarter: if you're on a month-to-month lease with nosy neighbours, you're S.O.L buddy. The only effective soundproofing would require actual insualtion / new walls... hanging blankets and carpets can help, but it's not very effective.