Hey. I was wondering how to properly use the volume and tone knobs on a guitar. If anyone has good examples of how and when to use your knobs like for playing cleans, overdrive, etc, then please share.

Also, I would like to know how to use them for different genres of music too such as jazz, rock, metal, country, etc. Any genre will help really.

If I've missed anything about knobs I should have asked, please let me know.

Thanks
Gibson Les Paul Classic w/Stetsbar
Fender MIM Strat w/ EMG DG20 System
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
Last edited by statopaul_mark at Jan 17, 2007,
personally, i just leave them all on 10, and use my amp and effects to determine my sound
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Look on youtube.com- search "rediculously hard classical **** that no one in their right mind would try" and you'll find some 5 year old asian kids playing it
Quote by jshrn31
turn them

but seriously, the two Tone knobs, just keep those at 10 for a nice sound. the little switch on your guitar? changes the pickups...aaand....yeah.....just play around the get the kind of sound you want.
Who dat?
Well, for volume knob, I know a cool trick. You turn on overdrive, distortion, whatever, and play on the bridge pickup with the volume completely up, and when you want it clean switch to the neck and turn the volume to 2. It works quite well.

Another (simple) trick is to just swell your volume when you come in.
I know what the knobs do, I was more less wondering how to effectively use them instead of just leaving them cranked all the time. I also wanted to know how different musicians in different genres use them.

It's not as n00b of a question as you guys are making it out to be, haha. Thanks so far though for the suggestions.
Gibson Les Paul Classic w/Stetsbar
Fender MIM Strat w/ EMG DG20 System
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
well you can't just like turn the tone and volume down on your guitar and expect an immediate jazz sound or something , but yeah when playing heavier stuff i max out the volume because it seems to make my pickups hotter and just change volume on my amp. and tone, i like to keep it around the middle for cleans, and at 10 for distorted stuff
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
If you're using a clean sound a lot of the time and your amp is set for quite a trebly sound you might find that some of the songs sound better with the tone a bit lower down, especially if you're playing a song where the pick is catching on the strings a lot, which can be a bit distracting, sometimes you will want the guitar part to be more in the background too, so you roll off the treble a bit. It depends a lot on the strumming pattern you use in the song, you have to kind of take a step back and listen to how your playing is fitting into the overall sound of your band.