I recently bought a new gibson SG and it came with this black tape around both pickups. I was going to take it off since it seems like an extraneous addition to my guitar, but my friend seems to think that it is there for a reason and I'm going to screw up my pickups if i take the tape off. So am I a complete idiot and is it actually there for a good reason?
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
-Kurt Vonnegut
well i know that the cowboys from hell guitar has tape on the pickups to prevent the string from getting caught on the pickups from the whammy bar

but that doesnt really apply to the sg...
I also think its to hold it together
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
there is electrical tape around the coils to keep them from coming unwound. every guitar pickup has them (that arent covered so i wouldnt worry about it.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Alright i might as well just leave it there. Thanks everyone.
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
-Kurt Vonnegut
The tape protects the windings on the pickup...those coils are easily broken by a string getting stuck under the bobbin top or by anything hitting the coil too hard. Leave it on, and do the same in all cases where you seem to have an "extra" part that you seem to have and don't really know why it's there.
twostring is right. It's there for a reason, and you need it. It protects the coils from damage and it isulates. Without the tape you have bare wires haning out, and that isn't good for tone.
Not taking any online orders.