ok i got this amp from my grandparents and i dont want to tell them to take it back cause it sucks and hurt their feelings lol ...... its to bassy for me would buying a distortion pedal help it? cause its a huge ass amp
Gear:

Ibanez GRX
Dean MLX
Dime Crybaby From Hell
Ibanez Practice Amp
Pyle Pro PPG86OA 300 Wat Amp
Homemade 100 Wat Cab
Crate GT1200H Amp Head
if its too bassy youll need an EQ pedal most likely and a distortion pedal will help with getting you more distortion obviously.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Just explain to them that it was very kind of them buying an amp for you and you realy appreciate it, but the one they got just doesnt suit you. They should understand.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
How about you describe what you don't like about it in a way besides "it's too bassy." The obvious solution is turn up the treble, although the amp will have some inherent tonal characteristics. And if the bass sound is too strong, buying a distortion pedal will only make the bass sound more distorted.

EDIT: Yeah, if the topic title is "not enough distortion" and in the thread you don't even mention it, people are going to get a bit confused.

EDIT2: People, look in his signature. He has the gear list right there.
no
Last edited by bucky_2300 at Jan 17, 2007,
buying a distortion pedal should help, i dont know what kind of music you like to play but i play death metal, heavy metal, so i prefer the digitech death metal, but the only thing you get out of the pedal is 500 tons of distortion so if your into cleaner music go for like a tube screamer or just a regular overdrive pedal that would help to clean your sound a bit
disasterpiece
thats not the one i have the one i have is twice the size of that and its the same brand and i was thinking about getting the digitech death metal distortion pedal
Gear:

Ibanez GRX
Dean MLX
Dime Crybaby From Hell
Ibanez Practice Amp
Homemade 100 Wat Cab
Crate GT1200H Amp Head
Well, considering that your signature says it's 300w, I picked the 250w link because (surprise!) there isn't a 300w model. 250, 450, 850. And no matter what, it's a piece of shit amplifier. Augmenting it with a shit pedal (Death Metal) will do nothing for it.

EDIT: Hold the phone, I found a 300w (?) version at another site. And it's still crap.
no
wow holy shit they make an 800 watt peak output amplifier with an 8" speaker WTF>

Last.fm
i know its shit but is there anything i can do considering i cant tell them to return it becasue ones in the hospital and they like 4 hours from me
Gear:

Ibanez GRX
Dean MLX
Dime Crybaby From Hell
Ibanez Practice Amp
Homemade 100 Wat Cab
Crate GT1200H Amp Head
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
wow holy shit they make an 800 watt peak output amplifier with an 8" speaker WTF>

That is what is referred to as "trying to wow you with numbers." Believe me, you aren't going to get 800w of power out of that thing. They might be able to make the numbers say that, but I would bet a nice stack of money that my 100w 2x12 would out-roar it any day.

Quote by fayd
i know its shit but is there anything i can do considering i cant tell them to return it becasue ones in the hospital and they like 4 hours from me

Sell it on eBay, buy a new amp, and they will have forgotten what kind of amplifier they bought you by the time they see you next. Because if you end up with an amplifier like that - it means they walked into Future Shop and asked for a guitar amplifier for their grandson.
no
uhh i guess you could see how much you can get for it at a pawn shop, a lot of times they dont know crap about amps and if they see something with super high wattage like that theyll give you a decent price for it.

Quote by bucky_2300
That is what is referred to as "trying to wow you with numbers." Believe me, you aren't going to get 800w of power out of that thing. They might be able to make the numbers say that, but I would bet a nice stack of money that my 100w 2x12 would out-roar it any day.

true im sure you wont get that much power out of it, but still, thats got to result in some massive speaker distortion.

Last.fm
Just be grateful they bought you anything and buy yourself a distortion pedal.

Having said that, with those kind of power ratings I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually bass amps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Peak means nothing. Anything other than RMS means nothing. It's just an excuse to use a big number.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
Peak means nothing. Anything other than RMS means nothing. It's just an excuse to use a big number.

But RMS is calculable from peak, so it does mean something.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Indeed, it's a crappy amp, and a shite distortion pedal won't do you any better.

Sell it/take it back and get a good amp, explain it to your Grandparents so you don't sound rude.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Dr. B
But RMS is calculable from peak, so it does mean something.

It's all advertising. If all amp companies followed the same guidelines most wattage rating would be different.

But most peak power ratings that amp companies give are just a BS number. It's even worse with PMPO where the logc seems to be: take the RMS rating, double it because you have two speakers, multiply it by ten because we put the word peak in there, then multiply by your favorite number.

The only rating you can really trust is a RMS rating.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
You can try buying a Danelectro Fab Metal pedal, is very cheap, not the best tone for lead, but it has plenty of gain. It cost something like 15$ or less.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS