so my guitar at the moment is a yamaha low end range starter kit jobby with a practise amp

now i know that i should spend more on my amp then guitar and its probably best for me to get an amp..but my guitar is falling apart...but i could spend a bit on it and get it fixed up

either way ive got around £300 -£400 and am not sure what to get or wat to look for

theres no point me getting a new guitar as it will still sound crap through the practise amp...but at the same time i would like a new guitar

i can use my yamaha and amp for playing blues/jazz/etc - plus i dont think it can handle thick strings and i want to play in drop c occasionally

but i really like playing various metal/metalcore.....so an amp suited to that may be a good idea...im guessing tube amps are better that solid state but i dont have enough for one of them

sooo...

new guitar with a bad sound still

or new amp with a better sound , but possibly not the sound i want

i (attempt to) play mainly ,at the gates, arch enemy,pantera,madien,sabbath,opeth, trivium, metallica, lamb of god, machine head, and make up my own death/core stuff
new amp, imo the guitar is just for looks, i really couldn't care less if my axe is packing duncans or EMG's
hue
Quote by sock_demon
new amp, imo the guitar is just for looks, i really couldn't care less if my axe is packing duncans or EMG's

I just died on the inside. Please never speak again. If you can't tell the difference between Duncans and EMGs... I'm not entirely sure where to start with that. STFU and GTFO come to mind, but that's not a very pleasant way to conduct oneself.

I would recommend a new amp just on principle, but sometimes rules are for breaking. Just think about it enough and the right answer will come to you.
no
Amp , you dont want a awsome guitar with a dodgey practice amp. as one wise man ( probably not so wise, because im pretty sure i heard this comment ON THIS SITE ), buut whoever the F it was said " its like putting $3000 rims on a $120 piece of sH*t car. "

sure it looks pretty but its pointless :P, i'd go the amp, a new amp will be more versatile for your sound than a new guitar on a practice amp anyway right?
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
I'd suggest Crate RFX 65 or RFX 120. Stay away from GLX and XT lines, they suck. The RFX are good. The Vox Valvetronix would probably work for what you're talking about too.
Find a job and earn some money. You can't get a decent guitar + amp for 400 pounds
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers are not gay. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who is.
for £400 get a decent tube amp.

You could afford a Marshall DSL401, a Peavey Valveking (The higher of the two), a Laney LC30, etc I can't be bothered to list them all

Anyway decent amp then guitar cos if you spend £200 on amp £200 on guitar you won't get much further than you already are.
so i went to the shop today

the guy suggested an ibanez RG350 DX for about £359, and maybe a roland microcube as a better practice amp, but ive seen the RG350 on Gak for £295

he also suggested maybe a peavy solo amp which would be £40

and he said i could maybe spend a bit more on a guitar and get an epiphone les paul but ive herd that these are just utter shite

i think im leaning more towards spending near the full £400 the guitar as im not going to be looking to form a band or gig so theres not much point getting a good amp atm imo.....plus i cant play that loud as ill get kicked out my accomodation

thanks for the replies so far tho
Although people here will recommend you a new amp because you will get a better tone are right, there is no point sticking to a guitar that's not very playable and using it with an amazing amp just to get a great sound since sound doesnt matter at bedroom practise stage (unless you're trying to find individual sounds for future gigs etc) So I would go with a new guitar.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
does anyone have any suggestions for guitars then?

ive looked at some reviews for the RG350 dx and they seem positive except for the slight crappiness of the Edge III
Second hand RG5xxx RG7xxx FTW
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
ive found a few on ebay

RG 37321 - for £280 new?

also a custom made RG F99 42352 FEATURES: V7 V8 PICKUPS, LICENCED OFFICIAL FLOYD ROSE WITH IBANEZ WAMMY, 24 FRET WIZARD NECK II - this is for £170 at the moment, but has 22 hours left on ebay

and a third guitar

Ibanez RG-550 LTD Electric Guitar , for £400
Last edited by *Juno* at Jan 18, 2007,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-RG550-RG-550-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ330077437396QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's not a Lo-Pro Edge as he says - It's an Edge, but apart from that it seems well (it will go up though most probably). I got my '92 RG550 for £200 to give you an idea, but it was in need of some work (only really a LOT of cleaning and replacing rusted screws etc.)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

cool thanks man

i probably should have mentioned this before..but i play in drop d and standard and occasionally drop C....am i right in thinking that its hard to retune a floyd rose style bridge and that it needs its tension adjusting which costs like,so getting this guitar would keep me in one tuning and changing it would require it being set up at £60 a go

sorry to be a complete nublet
You're better off with a hardtail guitar if you're changing tunings alot. Ibanez SZ520?
^ i see

are there any guitars that have tremlos that are okay that dont require me to reset the tension in the brigde ie floyd rose style ones?

i think i could live without it tho but i do like using it sometimes

can you get hardtail versions of the guitars ive mentioned?

ive looked at the SZ 520 on gak and it looks nice....im genna go to the guitar shop and try a couple out tho
Last edited by *Juno* at Jan 18, 2007,
If you want to drop tune, you will have to set up the trem every time. That is the only fault of the double locking tremolo IMO, though I love everything else about it. Once you learn how to set it up yourself, you can do it with your eyes closed. TBH, if you have any common sense you should be able to do it anyway.

avoid the 350, the trem is iffy.

if you're willing to spend all your cash on the guitar, you can almost get a new 1570.

or, if you're willing to go secondhand, go with a used 550 or something like that and get a roland cube or similar. In fact, the ashdown fallen angel 40 watt combo is only like £240 at the moment, it's worth a look, and all-tube into the bargain. If you can get to try one of those, I'd definitely look into that.

as everyone says, though, if you like changing tunings a lot, a floyd mightn't be the best plan... though you could maybe think about a tremel-no to block off the trem when you want to switch tunings, but that's another £45...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get neither, save up for a NICE tube amp... then buy a decent guitar later.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
^

hmm i see what your saying

well i think ill go with a hard tail for now as i dont want to do somthing wrong and break by guitar, especially since this will be lasting me 3 years plus before i can think about any sort of upgrade

so im looking at the SZ 520 at the moment...ive looked at the fallen angel combo and see it for 270 so ill have another look around for it...if not my plan was to get a microcube or cube 30 or somthing

ive not herd of this tremel-no before, but it might be a nice comprimse

i know that with a iffy FR bridge that the strings wont stay in tune perfectly, but with this tremel-no system will it make it any worse?

so overall i think im looking at getting a micro cube or somthing like a peavy solo amp

as for the guitar , im thinking of a 550 - but then i would need the treml no thingy

or an SZ520 which i also like the look of from what ive seen on GAK

lastly, would THIS be worth a look seeing as its near to me and its cheap ( well atm)
^ i'd avoid an iffy trem totally. the tremel-no would let you "block off" the trem, as it were, but then you're stuck with an iffy trem's crap sustain, as the sustain block is made of papier mache (probably).

i'd consider an rg321MH through an ashdown fallen angel... i think dolphin music in liverpool is the one with the great price on the ashdown? google that anyway.

^ that guitar says it has a crack in the neck. Without knowing any more about it, I'd avoid it- if you need a new neck it's liable to be £200.

EDIT: arg, i think it's up again to £270. still worth a look, if you can up your price range a little.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 18, 2007,
ok i leave the ebay guitar

i see what your saying about the trem

i think for now ill totally avoid a tremlo as i do like playing in stardard and drop d alot, and switch between the two daily

so im genna look into the fallen angel and prehaps a SZ520, but will also check out the RG 321 ...i may go to the guitar store on saturday and see what else comes up, but for now i have a better idea

thanks for your help everyone! atleast im less noobish lol

(ps dolphin music was were i saw the fallen angel combo for 270 - does it have some effects built in? im not sure what channels etc means, but ill research all that myself)
^ yeah, i think the fallen angel has some fx built in. They aren't amazing, but should be good enough until you buy some good ones.

also, the sz320 might be worth a look too, it might save you £20 or £30. The sz is better than the rg321, IMO, but it depends on your budget (sz will be close to or a little over £300, compared to about £200 for the rg321), and also they feel quite a bit different, a lot of that will depend on personal preference.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ive found the RG 321 for 179 and ive found two SZ 520's for under £300, so im tempted to opt for the SZ 520, but im going to go and try some guitars out tomorrow

ive only found the 40w combo for £280 without p&p at the moment tho, so i may end up paying more for a guitar and just get a slightly better practise amp with some effects, or a cube 30

a cube 30 and SZ 520 would also fit nicely into my budget

would you say the SZ can be used nicely for metal, and also a bit of heavy rock?

and whats the difference between the FM and QM ( QM = quilted maple ???)

regards Juno
^ the FM, as far as I can tell, is a newer model with different inlays, while the qm only has an inlay on the 12th fret. It really depends how much you like having inlays. Only difference between qm and fm is looks, basically. I haven't been able to try the fm, but I'd assume it's the same quality of guitar as the qm.

dolphin music has the FA for £270, but I don't know how much postage is.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?