Thanks for checking this out...

Now, I've been doing a lot of research, and yes That Pink Queen, I have read the stickies. I know pretty well what I need to get to start doing some basic home recording. So basically, I have no idea what to do once I get all this stuff. Yeah, you press record on whatever DAW youre using blah blah blah. But how does the whole process work?

I'm probably going to be buying a Tascam US-122L interface, which has 2 simultaneous inputs. I will be using Adobe Audition. So I'm definitely going to be multi-tracking, and overdubbing. What I'm basically asking here, is how should everything work?

I guess drums should go down first, but thats easier said then done. What happens when the drums dont play? How does the timing work? And without the rest of the band, the drummer sometimes messes up and kinda forgets what to play. What normally happens?

I know this is extremely vague, and that I probably won't get many replies. I'm not asking for anyone to come on here and post a 3 page report on how to do things. Links to good websites and articles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Quote by lespaul_jube
Thanks for checking this out...

Now, I've been doing a lot of research, and yes That Pink Queen, I have read the stickies. I know pretty well what I need to get to start doing some basic home recording. So basically, I have no idea what to do once I get all this stuff. Yeah, you press record on whatever DAW youre using blah blah blah. But how does the whole process work?

I'm probably going to be buying a Tascam US-122L interface, which has 2 simultaneous inputs. I will be using Adobe Audition. So I'm definitely going to be multi-tracking, and overdubbing. What I'm basically asking here, is how should everything work?

I guess drums should go down first, but thats easier said then done. What happens when the drums dont play? How does the timing work? And without the rest of the band, the drummer sometimes messes up and kinda forgets what to play. What normally happens?

I know this is extremely vague, and that I probably won't get many replies. I'm not asking for anyone to come on here and post a 3 page report on how to do things. Links to good websites and articles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

About the drums, What I'd do if I were you is if you're just doing it for a school band, etc, try to find/use an electric drumkit. Sure, some of the stuff on them is pretty bland, but a good set has professional drum samples. Makes it a lot easier because theres just a XLR line out, no need to **** with multiple mics. Also means that since the track has no interference, the rest of the band can play along to it and it'll only record the drums. That's what I'm doing with my band.

EDIT: of course, if you alone is doing it, play to a metronome click in your ear, or record a shitty guitar version at the start and play to it through headphones.
OK thanks. I'll pass on the electric kit though. And I dont need to worry about all the mics, I'll probably be using a SM57 as an overhead and thats all for now.
Fair enough. Might sound a bit tinny though, you'll probably need another one for the bass drum.
this is what i do with my tascam; I use put the guitar track first but as more as a guideline, then the drums follow that shitty guitar track, after the drums have been taken care of I delete the guitar track and re-record the actual guitar parts, then bass, then solo, then any other parts you want to add for ambience, the vocals. Premaster everything and bada bing bada boom there you go. the quickest solution, it won't be the best but i like to use this to avoid recording shit for about 8-9 hours
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Ok, thanks for all the help guys. This just in, my friend got a $50 AKG dynamic mic, don't know much about it. So for recording the drums, I have 2 inputs on the interface, so I can mic the drums with 2 mics : the SM57 and the cheap dynamic. How do you reccomend I go about doing so? One overhead, and one kick? What do you guys think?
what i do well i use three but with two put one.. the strongest one you have by the snare and high hat and the other one some out infront of the drumset to catch the rest of the stuff IE. toms crash, ride, and maybe kick... i would use a regular mike for the bassdrum if you don't have another dynamic mike
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
just see what works. experiment, experiment, experiment. try listening on head phones and walking around the room or moving around the kit to find the sweet spots for the mics.

ask yourself, do the drums sound good in this room. do they REALLY sound good? be as honestas you can with yourself. if the room sounds good, distant mics might help, but if they sound like crap in the room, close miking should sound better.

by best advice for any beginner is to try to avoid wasting time on forums and websites and more time figuring shit out for yourself and doing what you feel is right.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line