ive been playing for about 2 years now ad i was wondering what songs do u think shud be played after 2 years....also what solos were you able to play after 2 years of guitar playing
everyone progresses at their own speed... depends how often you play too.
what kind of stuff can you play right now?
shit uhh crazy train minus the fast lick in the solo...the non-tapping part, metallica songs without the solos...solos have always been a weakness of mine such as nothing else matters and enter sandman...i dont know...many riffs and such....you shook me all night long whole song ....a few ac/dc songs with solo such as back in black, highway to hell, its a long way to the top and tnt without the solo...i've tended to be someone who learns riffs of songs and stuff but not whole songs...i played like 3 or 4 hours a day for the first year of playing or so but have slacked off the second year....recently however i have goten back into it and wish to actually learned stuff....i can play unholy confessions by A7X but not perfect or anything like that as well as the Bat Country Verses and Chorus without the solo....hope it helps...but like i siad many riffs but not many whole songs or solos
to learn a solo start off slower and just keep practicing and speed up a little every day until its the right tempo. always works
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
read the post...only played serious for a year....my friend too lessons for a year and plauys all the time and knows less than me so it cant be that bad...like i said one serious year one where i barely played...i mean i can play other shit too just idk every song i know...and i took out really easy songs like iron man smoke on the waTER AMERICAN WOMAN sweet home alabama good riddance...any green day or blink 182...i cud think of more bu i choose not to
dont worry man...ive been playing for two years and i barely know a hanful of FULL SONGS . Just practice scales , speed and learn to play with "feeling" ...once u got that...u can pwn anyone in ur path including peace frog
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal
how do i add shit to my sig...like i keep going to my account and stuff and try to find something to change it with but i cant

EDIT: And i know thats totally random

EDIT2: And totally off topic ^_^
Last edited by killthenakedcat at Jan 17, 2007,
killedthenakedcat wrong forum go ask this in the newbie forum. Im also progessing slowly but im not trying to learn quantity im learing quality. It doesn't matter how many songs you can play its how good you can play them.
Xbox 360 Gamertag - TheTacoDoctor
Just send a message saying your from UG.
CoD4 anyone?
^Yup....thats the best way to put it...and as for ur sig...go to control panel
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal
well thats what im saying what WHOLE songs should i learn all the way through...is that not quality? learning something all the way thru...i mean shit im not a retard nor am i retard strong...my ultimate song i want to learn is little wing and well i don't feel i'm ready for that yet so how should i go about playing this song? playing scales and slowing it down YES for Quality...im just asking peopls OPINIONS
Quote by ThePeacefrog
wow you dont know much at all for two years of playing

Neither do I then. I guess that's my mistake for spending most of my time jamming, composing my own stuff, and learning scales rather than just commiting songs to memory. It's funny because I played with someone about two weeks ago, the guy is amazing alright, crazy awesome technique for a high-school kid. He's been playing for 7 years, I've played for just over two. We started pile-driving riffs, the drummer joined in and he looked confused and barely played 2 notes the whole time. When he played by himself he was amazing, when it came to improvising he was lost. I can come up with whole songs on the spot; shitty, average piles of shit, but songs none the less. I can even throw a couple decent fills on them and a short sorta bluesy solo.

I think what he's learned there is plenty fine. Basically all I know is a shit load of Zeppelin riffs, a couple Radiohead songs, some Muse, And Nothing Else Matters (including the solo tho...), half a dozen other things, and maybe a dozen of my own songs. It sounds like a lot more than it is.

I'd suggest applying yourself to the "Nothing Else Matters" solo, it actually took me less time to get down than the verse, that might just be because I'm horrible at fingerpicking but still. I've never gotten the solo down perfect though. I should work on it. Oh and learn some David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) solos. They're very fun and spirited though the timing is a little difficult.
Learn Some Gunners , Welcome to the jungle, mr brownstone..., Paranoid by black sabbath is fairly simple, no one can REALLY tell you what you should attempt to learn, you know how good you are, if your honest with yourself and your skills, just think of some songs by some of your favourite bands that you think you could play, then push yourself til your fingers bleed to reach your goals ( not literally but, you get the point. )

about overocming licks or riffs you can't quite get to speed or clean or whatever, slow it down, and just practice the same lick gradually increasing your speed ( keep it clean! ), but the main thing is to be honest with yourself,
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
learn ur favourite song.....thats the best...even if its uber complicated...slow it down and just get ur notes right
GEAR

Guitars:
IbanezRG350DX
Slammer Pacer

Amps:
Laney TFX1

Effects:
Zoom G7.1ut
Digitech Death Metal
I've only been playing serious for a couple months...but techincally i've been playing for 2-3 years.

From those months I've learnd...

-Sweet child o' mine (whole song, solo [which is improvised a bit])
-You shook me all night long (whole song, solo)
-No surprize
-crazy train (sorta =\)
-riff for welcome to the jungle
-knock'n on heaven's door
-a little of free bird's solo

More...but, I feel I don't need to contribute more than I have already .
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I've been playing almost a year... I can play fade to black (whole song) crazy train (whole song), welcome to the jungle solo, children of the damned (whole song), cowboys from hell (whole song), and a big handful of riffs from random other songs. I also dabled around with a 40$ acoutic guitar for 2 years on and off learning a few AC/DC licks.
Quote by IzRG350
I've been playing almost a year... I can play fade to black (whole song) crazy train (whole song), welcome to the jungle solo, children of the damned (whole song), cowboys from hell (whole song), and a big handful of riffs from random other songs. I also dabled around with a 40$ acoutic guitar for 2 years on and off learning a few AC/DC licks.

hey did you learn the second solo in fade to black? ive been playing for just over a year and have been thinking about trying to learn that solo but i dont want to just be beating a dead horse with that second solo, it sounds kinda tough.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
Try the sweet child o mine solo and the trooper by iron maiden two songs that seem about your level.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Yeah, im only about 6 months behind you mate. Don't worrry about what songs you can play at this time, just concentrate on making sure what you do play actually sounds good (which can be more difficult than learning the actual song) and learning some scales and chord progressions. As for actual solos? To be honest, i can't play a full one yet. I know MOP irst one from start to finish but i dont think it sounds good enough yet to say i can actually play it.

Don't forget, people lie a lot on these forums, an awful lot, so don't get down because someone else says they can do something amazing after 3 months or something stupid like that.
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
I've been playing about 2 years aswell, pretty seriously. I can play a host of Joe Satriani songs (surfin with the alien, love thing, friends, big bad moon, i believe, satch boogie, circles, speed of light, devils slide, the extremist, summer song, and well you get the idea)
a load of gnr songs (i wont list them, just most of appetite and a few from the other albums)
velvet revolver, motorhead, 1 or 2 vai songs.....and yeh a fair bit
the way i've learnt to improve my speed and accuracy in solo's though was by learning satriani songs, gradually getting harder and harder, more and more technical stuff.........but for you i'd suggest learning a bunch of scales and with learning solo's just take your time, it took me about a month to learn surfing with the alien all the way through, that was about a year ago, but once i was able to play it i improved so quickly when learning loads of other solo's......once you learn one relatively difficult song/solo the rest become easier
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by RadioMuse
Neither do I then. I guess that's my mistake for spending most of my time jamming, composing my own stuff, and learning scales rather than just commiting songs to memory. It's funny because I played with someone about two weeks ago, the guy is amazing alright, crazy awesome technique for a high-school kid. He's been playing for 7 years, I've played for just over two. We started pile-driving riffs, the drummer joined in and he looked confused and barely played 2 notes the whole time. When he played by himself he was amazing, when it came to improvising he was lost. I can come up with whole songs on the spot; shitty, average piles of shit, but songs none the less. I can even throw a couple decent fills on them and a short sorta bluesy solo.

I think what he's learned there is plenty fine. Basically all I know is a shit load of Zeppelin riffs, a couple Radiohead songs, some Muse, And Nothing Else Matters (including the solo tho...), half a dozen other things, and maybe a dozen of my own songs. It sounds like a lot more than it is.

I'd suggest applying yourself to the "Nothing Else Matters" solo, it actually took me less time to get down than the verse, that might just be because I'm horrible at fingerpicking but still. I've never gotten the solo down perfect though. I should work on it. Oh and learn some David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) solos. They're very fun and spirited though the timing is a little difficult.
Im not basing it on how many he knows that means nothing, its the difficulty and i dont know i kinda have a problem with guitarists like that san diego thing .
Quote by killthenakedcat
and frog how long u been plaing what can u play and if ur so good wheres ur links?

My links? Why do i need to record stuff, to get people like you's approval? I dont need validation to know how skilled i am at the guitar. And even if i did decide to record something more then half the population on the forums are stupid 13 yea old metal kids who dont know a damn thing. I play Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, Quicksilver Messenger Service, and a little something from a lot of bands. Ive been playing for a year and a half, and im not trying to prove anything or make you feel bad im just saying what i think about what you said you can play. You need to broaden your music horizens a bit i think.
Quote by Iccus
kudos if you can play the scom fast run @ 2 years

Just kidding

But that song is great, an excellent song for any level of player; Has great licks, phrasing, a tad bit of shred, bends, harmony, etc.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I don't understand why people always ask for songs for them to learn how to play. Maybe if you're looking for songs using a certain technique or from a certain genre, sure - ask away. But if you're just looking for songs in general - WHY? Don't you listen to music? Don't you already know songs you could play?!

Anyway, threadstarter, I'd suggest finishing the songs you started learning. If you've already made the effort to learn their riffs, I'm guessing you probably like them. Thus, they are the ideal songs for you to learn.
well peacefrog i have to say i call bullshit on u being able to play everything i can and all this shit at 1 and a half years...and for the broadening my musical horizons I think not. I listen to everyhing from the beatles b.b. king jimi hendrix led zeppelin ac/dc guns n roses black sabbath u2 coheed and cambria stevie ray vaughan zakk wylde black label society avenged sevenfold green day lynyrd skynyrd the doors the who...and yes i have heard songs from the grateful dead such as truckin and bluegrass pickin...do i need to broaden my horizons...no seeing as how i also listen to rap hip hop RnB and pretty much anything out there even country songs...i know what music is and what music i like no matter what genre because one genre limits you so much...so dont say shit about my musical tastes when u haven't even asked m about them
Epiphone LP
Johnson Strat Copy(first guitar)
Epiphone Dr 150 Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experiance pedal
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech RP50
ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff
Dude calm down no one is attacking you. I agree with yawn though, Ive been playing for two years myself and I dont feel the need to ask people to tell me what I should learn.

You should take responsibility for your playing instead of asking people for homework assignments. Spend some time thinking about what you want to sound like. Think about all your favourite guitar players, find out who they listen to and where they get their inspiration from and then study those players as well. Listen to as much music as you can and not just all the standard Classic Rock stuff, 99% of guitar players can play a few decent Pentatonic licks so you want to stand out from all that.

The best guitar players are the ones who are able to rip off and fuse as many other guitar players styles together.

In regard to Little Wing, its a very intimidating song especially once you get past the Intro. I feel people waste too much time trying to play Hendrix's stuff note for note. For example they try to strum a chord exactly how its tabbed out (which in Hendrix case is usually broken up he rarely plays a full chord) because they think thats the right thing to do. When all you really need to do is learn the chords and any licks in between them and then just keep jamming with the song to get the style and feel down.

You're never going to get the feel of a song through a tab, so dont bother trying to understand how the person who tabbed it feels the song. Instead, learn the basics of it and then spend time listening to it and playing along with it.
It would be like somebody saying, "I don't want to use words to talk, I want to just go by feel, I want to rub my penis all over them. I don't want to talk" - John Frusciante's view on people who don't want to learn music theory
learn rainingblood . the song isnt that hard to play and it opens you up for unique solos, technical rhythym guitar riffs , playing fast, and good picking technique ..... go for it
Fucking Metal all the time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music page
Quote by killthenakedcat
well peacefrog i have to say i call bullshit on u being able to play everything i can and all this shit at 1 and a half years...and for the broadening my musical horizons I think not. I listen to everyhing from the beatles b.b. king jimi hendrix led zeppelin ac/dc guns n roses black sabbath u2 coheed and cambria stevie ray vaughan zakk wylde black label society avenged sevenfold green day lynyrd skynyrd the doors the who...and yes i have heard songs from the grateful dead such as truckin and bluegrass pickin...do i need to broaden my horizons...no seeing as how i also listen to rap hip hop RnB and pretty much anything out there even country songs...i know what music is and what music i like no matter what genre because one genre limits you so much...so dont say shit about my musical tastes when u haven't even asked m about them

ok lemme get this straight you ask what songs you should be able to play at this point and when i say what i can play, you say im lieing. Do you know me? Have you ever heard me play? No so dont give me that. And the bands you named are all pretty similar to kids around your age. They like the standard classic rock and some new stuff, nothing wrong with that but its not very broad tastes. Dont start with me about the stuff i can play becuase you dont know...people that lie about what they play is just sad. And for you, you told us what you can play. Dont expect to get "OH SHIT MAN YOU GOOD" when you list the generic songs that everyone can play.
you see i don't want people to say "OH MAN YOU GOOD" I wanna learn to play the guitar. And exactly how old am I? and how old are you?
Epiphone LP
Johnson Strat Copy(first guitar)
Epiphone Dr 150 Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experiance pedal
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech RP50
ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff
im 15 but thats pretty irrelevent, so how exactly do you wanna "learn guitar" by asking what solos to play? And im guessing your about 13-14 and if you say your older i doubt it
I've been playing around 2 years now

Myself, I like to improvise the solos for songs, although I still like to keep it close to the original. I can play Crazy Train (whole song), Cowboys From Hell (whole song, even though I play the solo very sloppy... I'm working on getting that cleaner), Couple of Satch songs, 1 or 2 songs by Vai, A handfull of Guns n' Roses songs and so on...

It's not really a question of how fast you learn things really, it's more of how well you play it. Everyone progresses at their own pace.
Quote by killthenakedcat
you see i don't want people to say "OH MAN YOU GOOD"

i thought the OH MAN YOU GOOD is what every guitarist wants...
Last edited by rob878 at Jan 20, 2007,
Quote by Slash_metal
I've been playing around 2 years now

Myself, I like to improvise the solos for songs, although I still like to keep it close to the original. I can play Crazy Train (whole song), Cowboys From Hell (whole song, even though I play the solo very sloppy... I'm working on getting that cleaner), Couple of Satch songs, 1 or 2 songs by Vai, A handfull of Guns n' Roses songs and so on...

It's not really a question of how fast you learn things really, it's more of how well you play it. Everyone progresses at their own pace.

What exactly is the appeal of "Crazy Train"?

Actually, what is the appeal of any of that 80s metal shit?
"karma is a simple yet dangerous tango, and a bee stung my testicles yesterday"
Try Stabwound by Necrophagist, not the solo's (unless you want to) but just the rythym.
Quote by rob878
i thought the OH MAN YOU GOOD is what every guitarist wants...

I sort of agree, it helps your self-esteem and makes you want to practice more. Duh.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Dude, it doesn't matter how many songs you can play - take a look at what you learn. If you learn a load of scales and chords, you're probably better than someone else who's been playing 2 years, who just knows songs. Learn lots of scales, and write your own stuff.

If you're looking for covers though try a load of Guns N' Roses. Songs that you could probably be able to do most of after a while, are:

- Sweet Child O' Mine
- Welcome to the Jungle
- Paradise City (Outro solo is tough - I improvise this)
- Mr Brownstone
- Knockin' On Heavens Door
- Nightrain