Ok well I was playing my guitar like you would a bass I guess, except my thumb was almost always at the top of the back of the neck and was straight... somewhere between my index and middle finger... and at times my wrist was bent so after looking at this I have seen that according to this webpage the way I play a guitar is totally wrong and that my wrist should always be straight like that or at least as close to it as possible... is this true?

http://www.online-guitar-lesson.com/carpal-tunnel.html
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
wellll theres two ways of playing a guitar, you've got the classical style which is basically a finger per fret and keeping the fingers pefectly parallel to the frets, whilst doing that your thumb shud be basically in the middle at the back of the neck almost as if its supporting it.

Then theres the blues style which is keeping your left hand at a diagonal slant is much more free about where your thumb should be. Using this style lets you reach across the fretboard to other notes much easier but the classical position is better for practicing.
John Frusciante has been playing with his thumb over the top of the neck for over 20 years, and I dont see him in a wheelchair.
yea, keep it straight, i dont know if its THAT serious, but try to keep it straight, my guitar teacher was on me for that for like a month, so it must be important.
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

Quote by #1 synth
i figure as long as its not a puppy it's fair game for my penis.
slash plays with the diagonal slant kinda position mentioned above but hell if you havtn noticed any pain or anythign the way u play, i would say play however u DAMN WELL WANT! also, im not a doctor/guitar teacher/ any form of expert at all.
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
well i get wrist pain or at least discomfort at the moment so it has to be something.
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
With some chords you can play the root/bass note with your thumb around the top of the neck. If it's uncomfortable, don't do it, just fret it regularly
well, if its causing pain = bad!, best sign that your doin somthin wrong is that its hurting , so yeh you should try and lose the habit and work on your positioning, you don't wanna end up with some sucky disorder or whatever, because then you won't be able to play at all!
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
guess there is not a typical way to fret than eh? hehe.
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
Eh, I get pain a little from some chords. I'm sure my form is aweful but I stretch out afterwards and try not to play for extremely long periods of time. Really if you're going to play rock you're going to use a mix of the two normal positions, and unless you're a total classical nerd you're not going to have the guitar up high enough that you don't bent your left wrist. If you do that's great, better even, I just find it very uncomfortible to play that way personally.
I Don't pay attention as much about how high the guitar is, but I don't see the big deal about it. I know its up higher than maybe most probably because I am used to teh bass being up pretty high. But its not super high, but I don't see what the big deal is what height it is. Point being is I would rather have my wrist feel perfectly fine and be able to pay complete attention on what I am playing than suffer from it.

Besides I am not gonna look cool if I have the guitar super low and sound like a angry chicken being slapped against the wall repeatedly. Just wanted to find out what was the best or commonly correct way not to hurt my self :P
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
question what chords are you playing that you needto use your thumb for your bass note that seems odd to me i mean if youre comfortable with it and it owrks but i couldn't see how i could work through a progression with my thumb in the way im just curious not knocking you or anything
Hmm not my thumb for my bass note, I am playing the guitar like a bass... Were the thumb is straight and towards the top of the neck on the back. I was told that the thumb at least for guitar should not be at the top of the neck. Basically the thumb is at the top of the back of the neck and sits about in between where my index and middle finger are.
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100