I've been playing guitar for about 3 months now. I can play some songs decently and 1 solo kind of. I can improvise some things that sound ok but nothing too complex and therefore awesome sounding. My friend who has played drums for about 2 and a half years was telling me about him and his other guitar friend who jam out together. I asked what all they did and how long it lasted. He said he might come do it with me sometime when I get better. How/what should I practice to know how to do a "jam" session just improvising and what not. I can strum some chords but that would be just kind of bland. I'm not sure what to do. Hope you guys can inform me what you do!
Most jam sessions I go to, at least one person has at least one song/collection of riffs prepared. The other members can either learn the parts too or write something to go along with it. So maybe what you want to do is bring some ideas for covers or something you all would like to play, maybe even write a song or two and have your friend write some drums for it. Good luck
jam session to me = no rules, make it up as you go. like above mentioned, the drummer/bass/guitarist ,(whatever!) starts with a riff or beat, and everyone just pretty well throws down and adds their own little part to the song
-Gear-
Crappy Starter Ashton Guitar
Ashton Ga100212
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
ESP/LTD Viper-50

Quote by cool#9
you my friend, have reached a new level of awsomeness

Quote by sebastian_96

good work The_Shredder

Look at me. Mr.Praises in sig
Have your drummer lay down a beat, then rythm kicks in with a progression,then add bass, then start your lead in the key of the jam.
i've only been in one jam session, with just 2 guitars

at the begining we just said "c major"

jam sessions are pretty fun and simple,
Learn the pentatonic major and minor scales and the chorud patters you can use in a key. One you know those you should be able to recognize (based on the notes you're playing) what key you're in and therefore you'll know what to do with it.

Makes things much easier. It's lots of fun too as long as no one gets discouraged and stops playing.
Quote by Jake333
I've been playing guitar for about 3 months now. I can play some songs decently and 1 solo kind of. I can improvise some things that sound ok but nothing too complex and therefore awesome sounding. My friend who has played drums for about 2 and a half years was telling me about him and his other guitar friend who jam out together. I asked what all they did and how long it lasted. He said he might come do it with me sometime when I get better. How/what should I practice to know how to do a "jam" session just improvising and what not. I can strum some chords but that would be just kind of bland. I'm not sure what to do. Hope you guys can inform me what you do!

Just do whatever

But you don't seem ready.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
You HAVE to know your theory. I couldnt hold my own in a jam for over 2 years of guitar playing. Id be surprised if you could jam with these guys. Jamming is basically soloing for however long you play. Its not that easy. So just keep practicing. And if you can hold your own in a jam, all the best too man, like go for it.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Depends on the format.

With a full band, it's just about... Going with the flow, man. Just finding the position you're happy with and following along, and leading, and following, and all that.

In terms of an organised open mic/ jam, then it's about the type of music involved, and you'll generally have one or two songs to play with the house band.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!