i was wondering if anyone had any tips about improving my vocals for blues. what i mean is like how when blues singers get all into it and go loud and kinda distort their voice. any tips on how to do this right? all i can really do is sing clean and thats nice and all but id like to be able to put some attitude into my voice.
Um go raspy, FEEL the music.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
I know the old school blues like B.B. King, just feel it, like make your voice raspy.
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
I know the old school blues like B.B. King, just feel it, like make your voice raspy.

Thats too for the FEEL the music, go raspy. Need anymore?
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by Sloopy
Thats too for the FEEL the music, go raspy. Need anymore?

Gotta love the blues man.
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Just make you're voice like there's mucus stuck in your throat, i know it sounds sick, but it works, thats how you get the raspy voice.
Drink dehydrating drinks before you sing to get a good rasp. I love coffee, and always sound throatier and bluesyer after I drink 2 or 3 cups.
Start Smoking Marlboro Reds.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
smoke and drink all day everyday
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
If you don't have the blues, don't sing it. You can't 'get all into it'. You have the blues, or you don't.

If you want a blues rock voice, listen to Eric Clapton.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by Encore_God
If you don't have the blues, don't sing it. You can't 'get all into it'. You have the blues, or you don't.

If you want a blues rock voice, listen to Eric Clapton.

to be honest i think hes terrible

try some muddy waters or buddy guy
Yeah, don't listen to Eric Clapton.

Howlin' Wolf is the man, absolutely. That voice blows me away every time. Mark Lanegan, when he does Bluesy stuff, is a good modern equivalent.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I suggested Eric Clapton because he does a good mock blues voice, which is a good place to start. I seriously doubt that this guy is gonna be able to sing like the Wolf straight away, which is why I suggested a sensible starting place.

yeah don't be dissin' the clapton...

Clapton is God

(LOL... hear we go, big arguement of that statement)
well thanks, i do listen to clapton. i can kinda get what i want now, just have to work more. i think i was just afraid to look like an idiot if i didnt do it right or went out of key or something.
I like Clapton.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
well i have my opinion but im not going to pick a clapton fight

when singing, hit a semitone lower and raise up into the right note. that 'blue' note will help.
Quote by Encore_God
I suggested Eric Clapton because he does a good mock blues voice, which is a good place to start. I seriously doubt that this guy is gonna be able to sing like the Wolf straight away, which is why I suggested a sensible starting place.

Why not aim high? I love everything about Clapton, aside from the voice, which I think is pretty terrible.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I think SRV's voice is pretty darn cool too.
aparently i sing in a southern american voice when i sing the blues. i dont mean to, it just comes out thatta way.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Why not aim high? I love everything about Clapton, aside from the voice, which I think is pretty terrible.

When Eric's in the zone, he has a fantastic voice that has actually improved vastly over time.

be careful with this but u can just yell before a performance to get a rasp
"getting into it" is hard to give advice on though

'tis life
Why does everyone reckon that BB King has always had a "raspy" voice? For a start, he's in his 80's, and if you've ever heard 3 O'Clock In The Morning Blues you would agree Mr. King had the sweetest blues voice you ever heard.

And I'd say that John Lee Hooker's voice is the best in between Muddy Water's almost soul like voice and Howlin' Wolf's..er..howlin' voice.
Last edited by ECwomantoneman at Feb 5, 2007,
You have to sing out to get the edge that many bluesmen seem to have. If you're quiet, your voice won't be as cutting.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
I prefer a cleaner, more dynamic voice as opposed to a raspy one. That's one of the reasons why I like Buddy Guy so damn much. Personally, I can't sing . I sing along with the songs when I listed to them but I really can't make my voice do what I want it too.
Quote by BearWithAGun
I've only known one man to use such a gun, and I believe I've killed him two times
Quote by Derigiberble
Start Smoking Marlboro Reds.

agreed, it's hard to sing after you smoked, but it's worth the try