Ok, basicly mom's getting a Boss GT-3 for me off her new bf.
He wants 130 for it, it's in excelent condition as to the extent that I've played it. I think he copied all the same distortions onto each patch, but I can fix that . What do you guys think of $130 USD for this? How much are the newest (8s?) ones?

I'm also looking to add to my current selection with the Pod Xt Pro.
What's a good price in the USA for this? How will this sound through my current amp?
How will this sound through my computer speakers (5.1 Logitech analogs)? (considering my current guitars). I know it's better to save up for the real things, but I don't have that much money and I need the versitility . I'm looking at the pro due to the fact that I'll be using TONS of effects, and I'll be getting several rack mountable multi-effects processors... possibly several pod xt pros for the ability to combine more effects than possible with just one. (I'll see about getting a custom built device for allowing multiple pods to link up if it isn't possible normally, though this is MUCH later on).

I'm getting both eventually, just would like to know what's a good price for each to be aiming for?

Btw, in your opinion... this is just for fun, which is better, the GT-8 or the Pod Xt Pro?
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I'd rather go with the Boss. You can probably find the GT-8 for around $350.

The cheapest i've seen the GT-3 for is about $180. Maybe sell it for $150?
Like I said, I'm getting both the boss and the line 6. I need the versitility. I've already tried out the guitar port and was amazed at the tone myself. Especially for that satch G3 tokyo style tone my neighbor got out of it with his lp and the guitar port! So I'll definatly be getting the line 6 pod xt pro, along side the boss .

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
You said GT-3 (three) right? Average price for a used GT-3 seems to be around $50...I think you're getting ripped with anything over $100. Put the money towards a GT-8 instead...you can get them for around $320-$360 depending on how you get your haggle on. If you go ahead with the GT-3, get him down to below $60 and you should have a pretty decent deal on your hands.
You NEED the versatility of two processors?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Each and every processor is made from maximum versatility. They have so many patches that no one could possibly use everything on a single one. Any you say you need two?

You're wasting your money
Well, they can only give you so many effects in a line. Like say I wanted 2 or even 3 different MOD effects, in addition to several other effects? Or if I needed to switch out to a distortion type that 1 doesn't have but the other does... .

They may be made for maximum versitility, but they still have limits that can't be overcome without getting other processors, or having a 2nd one of the same type.

And don't start up with this over-processed sound B.S. As an artist can do what he/she wants to with their sound. Hell, I know I'm gonna be messing around with Planet Cavern style pieces and songs, but with bunches of different effects at different times. I know some pieces I'll be working on will really get out there in effects, like having a Volume pedal, then my O.D./Dist., then a wah pedal set to one position permanently to add that distinct sound, then a Univibe pedal, then a leasly-ish rotory, then a nice large amount of chorus to add a bit of an "underwater" sound, then a HUGE amount of reverb or delay (depending... mostly delay to get the cavernous effect going good), then another wah pedal which will be used to shape the sound back and fowarth from the basses/mids to the mids/trebels... Overprocessed some might say, but then again it's my preference towards shaping sounds to get the desired effects .

I plan on mainly using very minimalist types of approaches generally (effects-wize), but sometimes I'll get WAY out there . And in using processors like this, I shant have to wish for this or that sound, I can totally get there for the most part. I know the effects and amp mods don't completely reach their real-life counter-parts... but thats mods for ya, and I don't have the money to get all these tons of pedals .

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Wow, ok... this forum can let a thread go to page 5 in less than 24 hours, wtf?
:bump:

Anyways, yea, to keep this on topic:

Yea, so what would a generally good price for the GT-3 used be, considering it's basicly in barely ever been used shape (he uses it a good little bit, but it's in exalent shape). This guy takes care of his equipment .

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
How have you coped so far if youve not got loads effects in a row? I agree with others and say you dont need all those effects. No song uses over 3-4 effects and you can change banks and patches in between songs. I think you'll be fine with one and you can save up for other stuff.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Condition aside, I wouldn't pay more than $60 for the GT-3. The GT-6 or GT-8 is a better buy...I'd save for one of those really, if you're really concerned about having a lot of effects on at any given time.
Well yea... but it's mom that's buying for right now, so it's the GT first. I wish I could get the pod right now, but that'll wait till either I have my own job+pay check, or untill mom get's tax returns... So, no more than 60 for the GT-3?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Man... you won't sound good until you get a real amp. I'm sorry, but if you can spend 5-600 bucks on two processors, you can buy a great used tube amp which you won't get bored of within a month. I like effects, but I'm sure (As Ibanez4life will probably agree) that effects can add to a sound if tasteful, and used in moderation. However, having a decent amp as a basis for your sound is far more important. If you make a pizza and use cheap, mouldy bread for the base, it's gonna be crap. Sorry to say it, but amp modelling is nowhere near to accurately emulating the tones of a good tube amp (Vox ad60 and 120 as possible exceptions).

Sorry to go on... I don't want to rain on your parade, but multi effects are great if you have a good amp, and don;t rely on them, although if you do rely on them to achieve your main tone, you'll be disappointed.

Good luck anyways.

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Well, I know it isn't as good as the real thing. But I don't have 35,000+ dollors to shell out for 1 amp, much less the amount of amp mods at my disposal with the pod xt lineup. Then there are the effects and amount there of on the pod xt lineup! It's a steal, considering all u get, to get one for 400 bux! (or 200-250 USD on ebay).

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
But you don't need all the amp models... A few good sounds with separate effects pedals will work wonders. It's not a good thing to buy into if you solely want quantity over quality. Find a used tube amp. I bought a pod 2 a while ago for the same reasons as you are looking at these, and I regret the decision. A decent tube amp is so much better, and surprisingly versatile. Look at a used Traynor - they have great cleans and a great crunch, and can be boosted for metal with a decent and affordable pedal (Digitech bad monkey). I understand where you're coming from, but effects get boring fast, and you'll start to dislike your tone, strip away the effects and then not like what you have left. Look for a used blues junior and a boss me50. Then you have a good base tone, and all the versatility you'll ever need.You'll sound better and more alike to artists who use a lot of effects (Brian May, Satch, Gilmour etc) if you have a decent amp in the first place.
Multi effects are toys, and generally for people who use a lot of effects and already have a kickass amp. They don't improve the sound, they only alter it.
Used tube amp FTW!

Jimobb78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Yeh I use and ME50 and a SD-1 and that sounds great through my practise amp, but when I tryed it through my friends tube half stack it came to life. I agree with Jimbob. However, if you're just going to get the GT3 I think you'll be ok.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by jimbob78
But you don't need all the amp models... A few good sounds with separate effects pedals will work wonders. It's not a good thing to buy into if you solely want quantity over quality. Find a used tube amp. I bought a pod 2 a while ago for the same reasons as you are looking at these, and I regret the decision. A decent tube amp is so much better, and surprisingly versatile. Look at a used Traynor - they have great cleans and a great crunch, and can be boosted for metal with a decent and affordable pedal (Digitech bad monkey). I understand where you're coming from, but effects get boring fast, and you'll start to dislike your tone, strip away the effects and then not like what you have left. Look for a used blues junior and a boss me50. Then you have a good base tone, and all the versatility you'll ever need.You'll sound better and more alike to artists who use a lot of effects (Brian May, Satch, Gilmour etc) if you have a decent amp in the first place.
Multi effects are toys, and generally for people who use a lot of effects and already have a kickass amp. They don't improve the sound, they only alter it.
Used tube amp FTW!

Jimobb78

I have to disagree. Although I do put my GT-8 through a tube power section, when I record, it'd GT-8 direct to pro tools. I could not be happier with the results. I can whip up great tones with very little effort spent trying to mic and EQ an amp...it's all in the box in front of me. I spent years working with tube amps, and I'm just as happy tweaking sounds on the GT-8. My GT-8 is not a toy, but a very important tool I use to craft songs.

Keep in mind that just because you think something is great and "FTW" doesn't mean that it will be the same for others. Everyone finds their own path...
He doesn't have a tube power system or pro tools (Which is monstrously expensive) or any recording gear. Given the situation, I wouldn't reccomend it. It works for you because you have a decent and rather expensive reording rig... You also seem a little hypocritical ordering a mesa roadster rig. Also, many amps have line outs for recording.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

Quote by jimbob78
He doesn't have a tube power system or pro tools (Which is monstrously expensive) or any recording gear. Given the situation, I wouldn't reccomend it. It works for you because you have a decent and rather expensive reording rig... You also seem a little hypocritical ordering a mesa roadster rig. Also, many amps have line outs for recording.

No, I don't really have an expensive recording rig. The copy of Pro Tools I have is a demo version and I'm using a rather cheap sound card. Just because it's got "Pro" in the name doesn't mean I had to shell out $30,000 for it.

And I don't feel hyprocrytical at all. I'm choosing the gear that I feel works for me. The GT-8 will still be in my rig if it works with the mesa, and I don't see any problems with that. What works for you works for you, and I'm pretty certain the threadstarter is going to get the GT-3 no matter what you have to say about it. If it works for him, then it works for him...end of story.

As far as amps with line out capability, not all of them sound that great going direct, which doesn't really seem like a deciding factor for the theadstarter. "You won't sound good until you get a real amp"...what kind of comment is that? Sounds a lot like "you won't drive well until you get a Lambo" to me. And who determines what a "real amp" is...you? Don't think so. I can get a great sound with my GT-8 through a keyboard amp, and it will sound just the same at any volume level...I can't say the same for my Fender HRD. And while I can get a great sound with the GT-8, I found that in a live setting, I was mainly using the recto amp model, although recording I use many amp models on the GT-8. Couple my live sound with the fact that love knobs and I love tubes, I ended up deciding to get the Mesa.

I'm not trying to bash you jimbob...you have an opinion and you stand by it. I respect that more than anything else. I just feel like I have to balance that argument out by reminding you that you don't determine what sounds good to the threadstarter...many make that mistake. I think for him, he's going in the right direction with wanting the POD...the GT-3 I'm not so sure about. He's wanting something that can cover a pretty broad range and has a good selection of effects. A tube amp is a good investment if you want that one sound, but what if a Traynor doesn't nail that sound for him? With the POD, you have a little more breathing room to decide where you want to go.

A friend of mine uses a GNX4, GT-8 and a V-Amp pro all through a pair of KX-1200 keyboard amps. He's able to sculpt any sound he wants on the spot. Although I feel that he could get away with using one of those processors, he wants to use all of them. That's his choice, and I can't argue with the results.
Thanks TwoString. That was a very well thought out post.

And what he said about my wanting a broad range of sounds is preaty near dead on. The reason for going with not only the Pod Xt line, but also with the Boss GT line, is because I'm looking for a broad spectrum of sounds and tones. I also don't quite have an idea as to what sounds and tones I want, well, not completely anyways. In doing this, I am making quite a wize decision, because I get to find exactly what sounds and tones work for me. When I find the amp+effect, or amps+effects, that I like and use most often within the Pod or GT line ups, I'll be able to buy their real-life counter-parts when the time, and money, come. And of course, in having both, as previously stated, I'll be able to get the amount of effects that I'm looking for. I'm not solely looking at it because of quantity though. I myself have tried some of the Line 6 approximations of amps/effects and quite liked my experience with them. (I, at the time, was at my neighbor's/friend's house and got to try his epi LP through the guitar port with some of his custom settings and some of the presets... It completely blew away his Vox 15watt Hybrid (ADV or whatever it's called)... and I thought he sounded sweet at church, LMAO!..... my jaw just hung for a while at how awsome he was through that little thing+computer!)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Ha, and yea, I don't have a tube system at all. Used to, but sold it years ago thinking tubes were antiquated technology that wasn't around anymore except through very expisive places... but how wrong was I.

Anyways, yea... So what, no more than 80 bux you sould say for the GT-3?

How are it's default sounds generally speaking? Quality considering it's mutli-effects, or even for mutlieffects it's shite?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I should mention I've played it, but the guy seemed to have the same patch on every channel almost, so that's why I said what I said above. I would have put this info in with an edit, but It's already page 6! My good, the shear amount of new threads made in 1-2 day's time! It's insane around here! We may need to make some sub forums for amps, then effects, and then the other stuff .

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
a GT-3 for $50?? where's that at? (average closing price on eBay is well over $100)
I found this ended auction on Ebay and it sold for $48 (with $15 postage)
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap