I want to tune my E string (on a 4 string) down to F#. but it flaps when I tune even down to D. I couldn't imagine it holding up if tuned to F. so my question: is decent downtuning dependant on The String, or the Bass? if I wanted to fix something (so that I can downtune), would I get new strings or do something to the bass?

by the way, this so I can play Damageplan, (FBFB tuning I think).
You are better off getting a 5 string bass and downtuning that with heavy guage strings.
Bass is my life.
F# what the **** is wrong with you...FBFB that doesn't even make sense 4 strings with only two pitches between them? I think you need to do a bit more searching about this tuning you might be remembering it wrong or reading it backwards the G string would go to F# in only a half step you should check on that...sorry if I was harsh at first, unless of course you truly want to tune down to F#, in which case....what the **** is wrong with you?
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Last edited by DaliLama at Jan 17, 2007,
None of Damageplan's songs are in that low of a tuning. FBFB would be almost an octave below standard bass tuning.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
That would be... nearly unaudible. I mean there would be no possible purpose to playing that low any band who does it that low isn't worth being alive. They suck at life. Almost an octave. The onlyt way to do that would have a bass with maybe a 36, 37" scale maybe and uber thick strings. Almost an octave :walks away in a confused days:
^ watch what you say, man. You should know by now there is never a reason to say something as extreme as "they suck at life" or "any band that (does that) isn't worth being alive."

Quote by DaliLama
F# what the **** is wrong with you...FBFB that doesn't even make sense 4 strings with only two pitches between them? I think you need to do a bit more searching about this tuning you might be remembering it wrong or reading it backwards the G string would go to F# in only a half step you should check on that...sorry if I was harsh at first, unless of course you truly want to tune down to F#, in which case....what the **** is wrong with you?

you have been warned.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Step 1: ask yourslef why exactly do you want to tune that low. A tight Bass line can really make a good Bassline in alot of songs! I mean, I love the low frequencys, but there is mroe to BAss than jsut BASSBASSBASSBASSBASSBASSBASS

Step 2, get a new Bass with the longest scale you can find.

Step 3, get these strings: http://www.conklinguitars.com/accessories.html These are designed to go down to low C# (almost an octave below the low B of a 5 string!)

Step 4: get someone to recut the nut fo that Bass, and say goodbye to using regular gauges on that Bass forever.

Step 5: enjoy standing infront of your big anp, vibrating your prostate with your new C# string.
I've tuned AEAD on mine with a 5 string set, but i'm sure Bf#BE would be tuned UP.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That would be... nearly unaudible. I mean there would be no possible purpose to playing that low any band who does it that low isn't worth being alive. They suck at life. Almost an octave. The onlyt way to do that would have a bass with maybe a 36, 37" scale maybe and uber thick strings. Almost an octave :walks away in a confused days:

Isis's bassist Jeff Caxide has at least one of his basses tuned BF#BE. Dare you say that Isis sucks at life?

I don't even think FBFB tuning exists...
BF#BE sounds a BIT more reasonable, but it is still like B Low (5 string, string) F# Higher (E tuned 1 full step up, as E to F is half a step up - thus you need a lighter E string), B Lower (A string tuned 1 step down) E Higher (I guess? D up a Full step?). Looks more like a Michael Manring tuning LOL
Quote by IndieMetalhead
I've tuned AEAD on mine with a 5 string set, but i'm sure Bf#BE would be tuned UP.

Thats what I thought when he said tuning down to F#. I thought he meant up. Even so,with my luck if I was to try that, my string would probably break, go shooting up, hit me in the eye, and finish me off with some kind of badass fatality.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by IndieMetalhead

Yea, I think you guys missed the point. It would make more sense to tune UP to F.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
guys, you'd tune the top DOWN to B, then the A DOWN to the nearest F# (so, 7th fret on the B?). then the next one DOWN to B and so on. wheres all this 'down an octave' confusion come from?

Quote by metaldud536

^ In the first sentence in the first post the threadstarter said he wanted to tune an E string down to F#. That's a bit ridiculous IMO.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
we have conflicting posts, someone said FBFB, someone said BF#BE.

FBFB = impossible

Quote by metaldud536

DUDE F# for that you might aswell tune up^^^^ nearly an its like a tone above a whole octave
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
it is infact B F# B E

just checked

Quote by metaldud536

^ Ah ok. FBFB is a bit ridiculous.
a bit? its either tuning up and having uber taught strings, or tuning down and having your strings STICKING to your pickup

Quote by metaldud536

oh, boy. what have I done?! curse my dislexia!! What they said about B F# B E, sounds more realistic. so after all that confusion, what are my options again? Ya know, aside from the vibrating prostate trick?
tuning an E down to B is possible, but floppy. you could do what i did, buy a 5 string set. then again, i tune lower, so they might be too tight for that.

Quote by metaldud536

F# from an E? You could wrap the string around your neck twice. haha
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
I usually tune C F Bb Eb, but I have used B E# A D before on a 4 string plenty of times. You don't need custom strings or a 5 string set as people have suggested. You need a heavy 4 string guage set and you'd need to set up your instrument. It's not a big deal. Generally I don't agree with using drop tunings on a bass though - it's a guitar tuning if you ask me. Each to their own, but I like the same interval between each string.
all right, cool. that pretty much answers my question. It's great cause the people at my local music shop know me, so they adjust and set up the neck for free.