Page 1 of 2
For some reason after I use a new pick for about 2 days, the pick is worn down quite a bit and I can't play as good. When I get a fresh pick I'm way better again, should I keep using the worn picks to get used to them or is this normal? I'm using Dunlop .73. Yellows.

Thanks.
i play the same ones as u
or the dunlop tortex 1.0 but yea
i still have my first picks from each bag...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Lol, I've been using the same 3 picks for the past year. And each of them are worth one-sixth of a dollar. Though, they all lost their pointed sides so it's hard for me to tell which side is the "picking side".
try a thicker pick maybe? idk, i like my picks a little rounded and worn down. I can alternate pick faster when they are worn down.
Epiphone les Paul Standard
Crate GT1200H & Cab
Digitech RP70
DAndario Strings
ya man i find that I play better with new picks, especially tortex. But I try not to waste and attempt to make them last about a month or so.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
I've used like five in the past two years, the best type (I think) are Martin Co. Because they're just so well-made.
you're picking to hard. I went throuhg the same thing, but now i lightened my attack a little and use the same picks i did a year ago, only worn from pick-sliding of course.
The thing is, they're not THAT worn down, I'll take a picture in a minute and show you.
Lol, I could take a picture of mine.

They look like plastic circles
Here, top is used, bottom is new.

I think I'm gonna sk my parents if they can make my Christmas/bday money and give me guitar lessons, because the whole self taught thing is just too much trial and error...
Quote by yawn
^ That's from 2 days?

Yep, but is that a, that's not worn at all or a, how the hell did you ware that out in 2 days ?
I'm the same way, picks for me are only fresh for a day or two at most, but i only insist using FRESH picks in performances or important rehersals, so most of the time i practice i use a worn one.
They also wear faster with heavier strings
Youve gotta realize some people dont play guitar and whine about how their lives suck, for some people its more about releasing anger than dwelling on it, so youre not gonna be playing softly very often...
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
How hard are you strumming? How long have you been playing?

You don't need to hit the strings so hard.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Do you take Billie Joe as a role model and punch the guitar strings?How long do you practise?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
lol do you pet your vermin with them?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Broken-pick
Do you take Billie Joe as a role model and punch the guitar strings?How long do you practise?

Punch the strings...haha..
Quote by MavataR
thats one hell of a find. Did it have change in the case? cause you probably stole it from a busker who was off taking a piss.

I got some free dunlop pick in the mail (thanks to a thread somebody made on this site like two years ago) and I've been using that same pick since then. I personally love how worn down it is. It just feels right in my fingertips, ya know?

I don't know how long I've been playing with it, I guess, but it's very worn down. Before this one I had four fender medium picks that I had been using, I love them, too. I just don't care for brand new picks as much as personally worn down picks. That's just me.
I prefer my pick to be worn. It's just like new shoes, it's not comfortable until it's worn in.

I don't know what mine is but it's green and looks like nylon. Got a a textured surface with a wheel design on one side and target on the other side. What do I have? Dunlops?
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
those tortex one are prone to do that, try anothe rmaterial, the nylon ones dont ever wear down.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Dude, judging by the picture, it's not that worn down at all.
I never have problems with pick wear anyway, I have about 30 or 40 picks of all shapes and sizes and colours etc (yes i know I have allot but my local guitar shop leaves their pick section unguarded all the time so i cant help but swipe a few whenever I go in there, bloody theif I am) but I suggest to using a higher gauge pick if your worried about wearing them down, like a 1.5, I love them
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I've been using the same pick for about 2 years now, still works great, no scratches that affect it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I use two picks a week but thats because I use fairly thin picks (Dunlop .60s - orange). I suppose because I play my guitar quite low I hit the strings harder. When I lose about 2-3mm from the pick I change it. I practise like 5 hours a day though and play quite a bit of stuff with scratching etc. so thats probably why they wear down pretty quick.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
I like mine rounded. Well i do a lot of alternative picking and tremolo picking and sweep picking and it just slides along the strings and i guess thats what i like.

I like my picks super ass thick like bass picks with the thumb imprint in the middle?

I wore off the brand, what kinda pick is it? does any one know?
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
I like mine rounded. Well i do a lot of alternative picking and tremolo picking and sweep picking and it just slides along the strings and i guess thats what i like.

I like my picks super ass thick like bass picks with the thumb imprint in the middle?

I wore off the brand, what kinda pick is it? does any one know?

Arent they the Dunlop stubbys. I cant use thick picks, I end up dropping them or hitting 2 strings at once
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
I think theyre stubbys but i dont really know. But they just fit my fingers ( i have long ass fingers)

whats wierd is i either use those which i think is a 3.0 mm or like those super ass floppy ones that are like .08 haha I Dont think it's that small, but you get what i'm saying.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Try Dunlop Ultex picks. They're similar to the Tortex, but they only come in one colour. They have a smaller range of sizes. They're my favourite picks: They last ages, have a great tone and don't have the weird dust like the Tortex have on them. My 1mm Ultex that I've had for 2-3 months hasn't worn at all, all I've managed to do is take the shine off the very tip.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
i use a couple different picks. I usually use Dunlops, 1mm to 2mm. But they do wear down, but not in like 2 days. When that happens, it feels like theres nothing to pick with, similar to a flat surface. I think thats what is happening to you. Sometimes i'll use a 3mm pick (i only have one, but would like to get more), its also Dunlop.

Another type of pick i use is Dunlop gator grips, 2mm. They have a kind of rounded edge, so they arent good if you're playing something thats like tremolo picking, because it wount have as good of an effect as a regular medium - heavy pick. But anything else, it sounds pretty cool. If you're playing with a clean sound, they can give you a really nice sound, great tone.

I reccomend any of the picks i mentioned above.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

I need the pick to be "soft" enough to slighty bend it so it fits my thumb.. alternate picking and pinch harmonics tear alot on them.. use mainly dunlop black nylons.. they last a fair bit.
1975 Ibanez Les Paul Custom with EMG 81\85 pups
Ibanez RG 470
Fender DG-8
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Marshall MS2
Marshall JH-1 dist pedal
I use Dunlop Delrins 1.14 or 1.5. They dont wear down at all and are great for shredding and stuff.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by MrCarrot
Try Dunlop Ultex picks. They're similar to the Tortex, but they only come in one colour. They have a smaller range of sizes. They're my favourite picks: They last ages, have a great tone and don't have the weird dust like the Tortex have on them. My 1mm Ultex that I've had for 2-3 months hasn't worn at all, all I've managed to do is take the shine off the very tip.

finally dude youre the only other person Ive ever seen on here who uses those

and btw, the rhino is a different color depending on what size you get
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
thats a weird way to wear, and even weirder for that to wear in just 2 days.

these picks are about a year old, i just grab whats in my wallet. they get used about the same

as you can see, the tips are really faded. and i dont relly feel a difference in new picks to old.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
i like mine pointed too. so i take an exacto knife or sharp scissor and cut a new point in it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Page 1 of 2