Hey Guys, Ive been watching a few Joe Satriani DVD's and I really want to know how to pull those high pitch screams, he does a few in Satch Boogie where he seems to put his fingers near the pickups. Any Ideas?
Master of Puppets is pulling your strings
On you tube there is a video where Satch explains how to play surfing with the alien and he explains how to do those screams.
pinch harmonic most likely....pluck the string with the pick, but at the same time touch the string slightly with ur thumb (one using to hold pick). it's hard to explain, so search up a vid. btw....pinch harmonics have to be done at certain parts of the string (always near pickups) so u have to do them until u find that sweet spot.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I think his hands are near the pickups also for muting all but the one string, its really hard to do if the strings arent muted.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by wasp2020
Pinch Harmonic on an open string, then whammy bar.

exactly, you pinch the harmonic exactly in the same place as you were in the 12th fret
Natural harmonics and the whammy bar, not pinched.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Pinch an open string, then you ever so slightly but quickly push your whammy bar down a tiny bit then bring it back up with some power, then slowly come back down to normal. the reason for the pushing it down slightly at the start is as satch says "so that when you bring it up to the top of your squeel it sounded higher than it would if you just raised the bar straight away with the whammy in the normal position" well he says something like that anyway, i cant remember
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by deluxity
exactly, you pinch the harmonic exactly in the same place as you were in the 12th fret

Well, you could pinch it over the 5th, the 7th, etc.... wherever a natural harmonic would be on the neck, you would get a different pitch, not just the 12th.