ok,

im in an band and i play bass (i know this is a guitar forum but listen)

i love the bass but i love the electric soo much more. and im actually better than our lead,
anyway

i dont want to like show him up or anything because ehh im not a butthole ya know?

and plus i dont want him to quit hes really cool

but what should i do?
Well, theres a thing called communication.

In which by posting this forum, shows you can't talk to your band mates lol

Plus you used the word "butthole"

hahaha
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
easy! take turns. if he plays the lead better on certain songs let him do it and visa versa, you dont have to be THE BASS player or THE DRUMMER, the band for instence they mixed it up alot. just make sure its fair
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
i think my ideas better. challenge him to a guitar duel, like mucking around, then show off youre true skills, then the rest of the band mates will probly suggest you be the lead
Quote by groll01
easy! take turns. if he plays the lead better on certain songs let him do it and visa versa, you dont have to be THE BASS player or THE DRUMMER, the band for instence they mixed it up alot. just make sure its fair

+1

Suggest switching around on one song and see how he feels. You can decide where to go from there based on your bandmates' reaction.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
yep! and if you have a laid back attitude and just be cool n friendly bout it it will go over alot better
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
If you're good and he's good then why not trade some songs? You don't have to stay on bass and vice versa. A good band should be able to do that. Switch around and show some talents. Show that y'all are all around musicians.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Ask to be a rhythm guitaist, and get a new bassist.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Alternate between playing lead. Just tell him you want to explore your abilities further by using them with your band, and for songs like sweet child o mine you can have it like you do the first half of the solo, he do the second.......there's plenty of ways around this kind of problem
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Hmm, i've been in a similar position and I agree with the switch instruments thing. It makes it a lot more fun aswell. I play in a band and in it I play electric guitar, bass guitar, acoustic guitars, drum kits, percussion, keys, piano, and other various "weird" instruments. Ask if your guitarist would like to alternate between playing bass and guitar, and see what he says.

or

You could carry on playing bass in this band and start a new one maybe? I guess it all depends whats right for you.
Last edited by MEmmett at Jan 18, 2007,
get another bass player and play lead / rhythym ( switch off songs w/ the other guitarist )
Fucking Metal all the time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music page
And be sure to tell us what happens once you talk to him about it.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I was once in a band that had seven members = two guitars, two guitar/vocalists, keyboardist, bass player, and drummer. We swapped around like we were at a swinger's convention. I mean, there aren't many guitars written for four players, and depending on what all was needed to cover a song, we all played various instruments. That may not work for you due to the type of music you play.

But you might trade places with your bassist now and then, who knows, he may like it better after he's tried it awhile.

But if you're not happy with your role, I suggest that YOU move on, but let the others know why. Or else look for a new bass player and move to guitar.