Page 1 of 2
Our first gig could not have gone ANY worse. I joined up a band about two weeks ago and they asked me to learn about 8 to 10 self-produced songs for a show we played tonight. After two weeks of intense practice and sleeplessness, we all get to the gig and our drummer starts complaining that he was feeling sick. TOO sick. He was already looking drowsy and feverish when we arrived three hours earlier, and yet he still went to drink up at the bar. Regardless of whether or not he drank alot, that made him feel alot worse.

As the last band before us goes on (by this point he's completely gone], he comes up to the rest of the band and tells us he's out. He packed up his drum kit and drove himself home. Myself, our singer, keyboardist, and bassist are sitting there completely shocked and baffled. We had no drummer, a ton of equipment we had rented, and it was our turn to go on next.

Our singer pushes us onwards to perform without the drummer, trying an acoustic type set (which ends up failing miserably considering most of the songs are built off of heavy riff structures and clashing drum pieces). The vocalist was on the money, but the keyboardist didn't know how to contribute to the sound aside from what she typically does. The bassist was getting lost, and myself without the drum parts was missing cues all over the place, desperately trying to make sense of the power chords and progressions best I could as I tried to play them cleanly. We got through half of one song, had to stop, moved onto another, played it through (relatively well considering the circumstances), and completely bombed on the third one, as our bassist angrily stormed off stage...

I just sort of stood there for a moment completely shocked and embarrassed, as our singer said "well, I guess that's it". It was a small gig in a bar/pool hall, admittingly, but a group of 15 friends of mine showed up and paid cover to see a performance that will probably be remembered as the most pathetic performance they've seen. The crowd cheered us on considering they knew the circumstances, and the other bands present appreciated the fact we had the balls to still go up there (a few of the guys came to reassure us after the "set"), but beyond that, it was seriously the worst performance our singer (and myself) have ever witnessed.

Tonight was a horror story. Worst of all was that I invited a girl I was looking to meet up with tonight to the show. I hope none of you guys have to go through what I did tonight... sad.

Our drummer is going to hear it...
You guys were incomplete as a band. You shouldnt feel so bad about it. As for your drummer... Kill him.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
That guy has tarnished the rep of drummers everywhere. As if you'd pack up your drums and go home, what a pussy even if you are sick, I've taken an english exam with a broken wrist before (tons of writing).
yo.

I BELIEVE
I'm a drummer and one night I played 3 friggin sets with 3 different bands (all high energy) in a row, after taking a cheap caffeine pill me and my friend bought at a gas station on the ride to the gig. By the end of the 3rd set I was very close to vomiting, but I kept playing. Felt horrible the rest of the night, even though I still enjoyed it all and it was a ton of fun.

A musician that is sick, and then DRINKS on top of that before a gig, then BAILS, needs to get the boot.
We're only strays.
That's pretty stupid...

I mean, I wouldn't blame him if he was just sick and stuck it through, but he drank to make it worse, then left.

He was probably just nervous anyway. Bastard.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
Cut the drummer's balls of with barbed wire.
Anyway, show him that you're really mad and that you want him to suffer! muahahahaha
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers are not gay. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who is.
My band had an even worse performance. We were gigging in front of our whole school and had been practicing for almost 3 weeks for it and then on the night our singer just does not show up. We were totally screwed cuz the bassist and i cant sing to save my life. The other guitarist can sing pretty well but he cant sing while playing. So in the end our drummer sang but bcuz he was singing his beats got mixed up so the bassist just playin the notes out of sync and so me and the other guitarist also just were playin diff parts of the song and later when i heard the recording it just sounded awful.
Next day when we asked the singer y he did not show up here is what he said
Singer:wtf was it yesterday?? I forgot ,sorry dudes. did u go through it
Us: Yes
Singerlaughs) that must have been really funny

Needless to say after we were through with him, he was the one who ended up lookin really funny
Did ya cut his balls of with barbed wire? Did ya? Did ya? That would be really funny to hear him sing then.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers are not gay. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who is.
Every band needs to have that one horrible show though. It is a learning expierience. Better to have gotten it out of the way earlier rather than later. My horror story goes somethin like this.
My metal/hardcore band is friends with this rock/pop band. They scheduled a huge show outdoors on a saturday in this park area deal. On thursday night me, thier bass player and guitar player went out boozing. The guitar player got in a fight and broke his ankle, he was hospitalized and had surgery = can't play for 2 weeks. They can't cancel 2 days before the show b/c tickets sold, stage built, sound booked, etc.... So me, my guitar player, and our singer decide to offer our help. The night before the show (friday) we start learning the 30 some odd songs (mostly covers) with the other bands singer. We maybe ran over each song once. So with no real practice with the whole band we took stage and in my opinion sounded like a 3rd grade marching band. Everyone said it was "ok" but I knew they were lying because after the 10th song or so 1/4 of the crowd boned out. That sucked.
Thats pretty crappy, its not normal for a drummer to pack his gear up and go, nor is it normal for drummers to just walk out... I mean, he could have been the last one on stage and layed a shitty solo, and still looked cool! I think its the only instrument on its own that you can get away with.

Normally its the egotistical singers that throw a hissy-fit and walk out, meh.. dont worry about it.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
My first gig went alright, apart from our lead guitarist completely cocking up on two occasions. He's a fantastic guitarist but he's not all there upstairs, and tends to just be in his own little world when he's playing - as a result he managed to play half a beat ahead of the rest of the band for an entire song. I don't think anyone noticed though.

Worst, though, was our last song. It's a two-part one - the first part is quite low-key, ominous minor chords, bowed guitar, that sort of thing. Then there's a bit where it collapses into a wall of looped feedback and the guitarist is supposed to kick in with a really heavy riff and we go into a rock-out at the end. However, he managed to forget that he was meant to do this and went back to the first part of the song for some reason. So here were the rest of the band waiting for the cue to rock out, and he's strumming a D minor at about 80 bpm. Completely ruined the song and our finale. As a result, I took his distortion pedal hostage.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
kill your drummer.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Ouch, but seriously, hurt the drummer, throw his own drumkit at him.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by efferus
Our first gig could not have gone ANY worse. I joined up a band about two weeks ago and they asked me to learn about 8 to 10 self-produced songs for a show we played tonight. After two weeks of intense practice and sleeplessness, we all get to the gig and our drummer starts complaining that he was feeling sick. TOO sick. He was already looking drowsy and feverish when we arrived three hours earlier, and yet he still went to drink up at the bar. Regardless of whether or not he drank alot, that made him feel alot worse.

As the last band before us goes on (by this point he's completely gone], he comes up to the rest of the band and tells us he's out. He packed up his drum kit and drove himself home. Myself, our singer, keyboardist, and bassist are sitting there completely shocked and baffled. We had no drummer, a ton of equipment we had rented, and it was our turn to go on next.

Our singer pushes us onwards to perform without the drummer, trying an acoustic type set (which ends up failing miserably considering most of the songs are built off of heavy riff structures and clashing drum pieces). The vocalist was on the money, but the keyboardist didn't know how to contribute to the sound aside from what she typically does. The bassist was getting lost, and myself without the drum parts was missing cues all over the place, desperately trying to make sense of the power chords and progressions best I could as I tried to play them cleanly. We got through half of one song, had to stop, moved onto another, played it through (relatively well considering the circumstances), and completely bombed on the third one, as our bassist angrily stormed off stage...

I just sort of stood there for a moment completely shocked and embarrassed, as our singer said "well, I guess that's it". It was a small gig in a bar/pool hall, admittingly, but a group of 15 friends of mine showed up and paid cover to see a performance that will probably be remembered as the most pathetic performance they've seen. The crowd cheered us on considering they knew the circumstances, and the other bands present appreciated the fact we had the balls to still go up there (a few of the guys came to reassure us after the "set"), but beyond that, it was seriously the worst performance our singer (and myself) have ever witnessed.

Tonight was a horror story. Worst of all was that I invited a girl I was looking to meet up with tonight to the show. I hope none of you guys have to go through what I did tonight... sad.

Our drummer is going to hear it...

Well im playing my first show saturday, and I'd just like to say, thanks. I am now nervous as ****.
Quote by jhardcore

Well at least all the musicians in your band stayed.

I lol'd. Either way that's a bitch.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
We desperately need a drummer. Send him on over to us.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Quote by Cardioclash
Cut the drummer's balls of with barbed wire.
Anyway, show him that you're really mad and that you want him to suffer! muahahahaha

the drummer wud need 2 grow sum balls first, wat a twat he shud be kicked such a pussy
Kick him out the band, get a new one and kick ass at your next show. You weren't to blame, and people knew why you weren't playing good, so don't worry about it. It wont be the last gig you ever do.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Man ive played drums with high fever and stuff man....ok it isnt easy but atleast he could atleast played some easy stuff......atleast back u up.....man pull out his testicle he deserves to cry...

And i applauad you for your guts
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Last edited by X-Boy at Jan 18, 2007,
I'm a lead vocalist and multi-instrumental (other things besides guitar, such as violin, bagpipes, piano, etc.) of a folk-metal band, and a friend of mine who owns a guitar shop (Which puts on shows from time to time) asked us to perform. Now, when he made the posters, he didn't think 'folk-metal', he thought 'metal', so thats what we were billed as. No problem, we can play the heavy. This place was filled with metal heads. That day, a rainstorm had been brewing, with thunder and lightning and all that good stuff. We have the amps going, everything warmed up, and 5 minutes until we perform....the power goes off. With 60 or so metalheads just staring at us like: "Now what?", we calmly put down our electric instruments, and I pick up my violin, the bassist a cello, the drummer...well he only plays the drums, and our other guitarist pulls out and acoustic. We then go into a medley of folk songs. I haven't seen a place clear out that fast since someone yelled "FIRE" in a movie theater.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
our first show was for the carnival of shrieking youth in Edmonton ab, they had theme nights emo/alternative/metal etc. we were originally supposed to be on alternative night, but we got pushed over to emo night (we're an alt-ish band) so we were like... 'this isn't that bad' but then we got pushed to metal night. needless to say, the fans didn't like us. we went on stage and played our first song...which one person clapped after...our guitarists mom [we all had people there]. our singer is a huge fan of crowds not just standing there, so for part of a song that he wasn't singing he tried to rally the crowd - he actually jumped off the stage to do this. he got told to f*** off. after another song, we decided that the crowd was just being completely unresponsive. it wouldn't have been so bad if they had atleast acknowledged that we were there. no clapped for the rest of the set which was like 6 more songs.

on top of this, 3 members including myself were very sick - the other 2 vomited before we went on...
Quote by jakekilgore666
christian music is sooooooooooo bad
if you love god that much, why make music that makes god want to shoot himself?
Geeze, for those of you who threw some of your own stories out there, thank you. They help me realize that maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, and overall you're absolutely right that it was a good experience to have, and that it won't be the last gig I'll perform.

As for everyone else, thanks for all the support. Hopefully the tale of ridiculousness from that night has in someway served some purpose aside from affecting me personally. hahaha. peace, guys.
Quote by efferus
and that it won't be the last gig I'll perform.

May not be the last bad gig you perform either
S'pose everyone has to go thru the bad to know the good is better, although im not really qualified to reply.
May i ask how long you've been together as a band? Sorry if that was in the original post.
Quote by the dave
hahahahahahaha I laughed so hard I shat a little

he didn't even stay to watch?!?!
you should stick his drumsticks up his ass
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

our first gig in front of people who actuly like rock was crap, we organised it like 2 weeks before it was on, the band that was bringing the drum kit rocked up 30 mins after we ment to start and half the crowd left before any bands started playing...and no one danced
It was terrible.

We used an ear bleedingly bad borrowed PA system, and the sound guy plugged me into the system in such a way that my pedals distorted the entire PA.

I was re-plugged in after the third song (sounding horrible), at a level that was barely audible, and for the remainder of the set it stayed as it was was.

The drummer missed cues, singer was flat by a mile, and the levels were screwed up to the max. Nothing went right that day.

Plus my (ex) Girlfriend brought her friends to watch...
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
Quote by Aidy Damage
Sack the drummer, asap.

+1
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Page 1 of 2