i have been playing guitar for about 2 1/2 years now and i got a bass as a chirstmas present and i picked it up in about 5 min.....i was already better then my friend who started at the same time as me (he plays bass). So really my question is....is it about the same for a bassist to go to guitar.
Probably not. Added strings and the sizes would probably make it feel like a toy. And the person would probably have a more bass/rhythm style of playing it.
Quote by Quantonyne
i have been playing guitar for about 2 1/2 years now and i got a bass as a chirstmas present and i picked it up in about 5 min.....i was already better then my friend who started at the same time as me (he plays bass). So really my question is....is it about the same for a bassist to go to guitar.

No, they wouldn't be good at using a pick. Probably not used to chords as well. BUT, most guitarists that I've let use my bass are horrendous at using their fingers. But they are really good guitarists, usually. By saying you are better than him already in 5 mins suggests that you use a pick, and personally I hate seeing people who think that they are amazing at the bass because they are shredding.
Quote by banjo1735
No, they wouldn't be good at using a pick. Probably not used to chords as well. BUT, most guitarists that I've let use my bass are horrendous at using their fingers. But they are really good guitarists, usually. By saying you are better than him already in 5 mins suggests that you use a pick, and personally I hate seeing people who think that they are amazing at the bass because they are shredding.

i am not gonna lie i do use a pick....some of the time...cause its really second nature for me.....but i still play with my fingers and i am still better then he is (which i am not trying to down him cause he is still good)......plus bass isnt about shredding...its about carrying the groove and layin down the funk.....
Quote by Quantonyne
plus bass isnt about shredding...its about carrying the groove and layin down the funk.....

Agreed.
Quote by Quantonyne
i am not gonna lie i do use a pick....some of the time...cause its really second nature for me.....but i still play with my fingers and i am still better then he is (which i am not trying to down him cause he is still good)......plus bass isnt about shredding...its about carrying the groove and layin down the funk.....

a few things that are different are the rest stroke technique..also slapping/popping as well. When you change notes on a bass it is harder to make one resonate while the other is played..and also fingerings can be trickier. Also a lot of things are played on the E and A strings for an enhanced tone. Try to play John Myung bass lines and see how you get on!.
some people think if they can play guitar so thay also can play bass...but what the hell,hey cant use their finger very well,just use pick...
Quote by banjo1735

Especially since the bass isn't about shredding. Most people I know think that you're good at it if you can play quickly. But when you shred on a bass, I find there's usually even less emotion than mindless shredding on a guitar.

And who's that chick in your avatar?
Well, I can play bass quite easily with a pick, but any bassist would kill me with their finger picking 'skillz'.

I was playing around with a bass yesterday for the first time in my life, so I learnt how to play the Hysteria intro.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
bass isnt for shredding? shredding is the only thing i do on bass

i picked up a guitar for the first time a week ago and i can shred just as good on that