Wonder if any of you can help with a problem.

Basically, i am quite good at pinch harmonics. I have a decent guitar, but i feel my amp may be letting me down.

On the higher notes, i can make ph's ring out perfectly, yet when i try to play one on a lower string, lower note, say 3rd fret 4th string - i get nothing, maybe perhaps a slight increase in pitch.

Having listened to bands like killswitch, i hear that they make the pinch harmonics on lower strings ring out amazingly - they get a different sound completely than to one i do.

Since i can do them perfect on the higher notes, i dont know if it is my technique or whether it is indeed my amp.

I know this matter had been raised previously, but the answers were not really beneficial for me, so i was wondering if anyone could help with my problem in particualr.

Thanks.
for killswitch style ones i just do it on like the 3 an 5 of the low e string an it give plenty of fast vibrato
Well what guitar/amp do you have? They will help. A pair of higher-output pickups will make it easier, as will enough gain on the amp to make it ring out.

What you want to do is move around your picking hand, up and down the string, pinching in different places, trying to find the right node for the fret/note you want. Try over the bridge pickup, then try nearer the neck pickup etc. You'll get it.
My guitar is an ibanez, one of the rg series...but my amp is a basic marshall, had it since the day i started playing...also i have quite a good pair of emgs.

As you can tell im desperate to learn these pinch harmonics...
I'm almost 100% sure it's the guitars pickups that's messing with you...they're not very good... especially not for harmonics.

EDIT: Ignore this, was talking about the original RG series pickups.
Last edited by Saitoh at Jan 18, 2007,
^thats gotta be the stupidest post today, emgs are known for being some of the best for harmonics....
Hope to god it ISNT the pick ups, got my new guitar for chrismtas....not really interested in replacing them already.
Ah missed the thing about the EMGs...thought it was the original pickups for the RG series...sry :P Can't help you then.
EMG's are great for pinch harmonics...What exact amp do you have?
If you have a marshall (I'm talking about the all tube marshalls here) you might want to get an OD pedal (TS-9 and TS-808 are great OD pedals) to up the distortion a bit, that'll make PH easier to get. Trust me on this

EDIT- when I say EMG's I mean the active one's. I personally didn't like the passive's for pinch harmonics. Actually, I didn't like the passive EMG's at all.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
I love Killswitch man and I play tons of their stuff - When you play a pinch on the low E, you need more finger to touch the string, therefore they are harder to get. Try moving the pick further back into your hand so you have less pick exposed. Use the bridge pickup. I get my pinches when my thumb is over the bridge pickup - closest to the neck side of the bridge pup. i.e. on the other side from the bridge pup. Get the pinch ringing clearly first before you try and add vibrato - Once its clear to get a good sound bend the string like so - eg - at the 5th fret - 5b7b8b7b8b7b8 - strong vibrato is a must!

I know what you mean about high note pinches - they're much easier!

Lots of treble and lots of distortion! Also try adjusting your amp settings so you can get the best sound. Volume usually helps as well - but almost all kse harmonics are right up over the bridge pickup. I've heard 'contour' and 'shape' controls can kill these harmonics so adjust them if you have them.

If you're still having problems, either repost or PM me and ill help you out Or if you dont understand my crap about where to hit the pinches ;P hahaha

Good luck with them,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Try moving your thumb down the string a little bit. Higher strings are easier to do it on because theyre so thin. You just gotta adjust your thumb so it taps the string and not holds on it.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Y IS IT ALWAYS "BLAME THE EQUIPMENT" jesus christ...U should be able to pinch without the guitar plugged in and be able to Know you've done it right. Its the feelin u get when u hear it and u know ur nailing it...It aint you kit...I had a Yamaha pacifica and Fender frontman 15 R back in the day..and I was fine with that...Its all technique...just keep goin read some online lessons and ull be fine
That is quite right, If if you have a nice resonant guitar you can do pinch harmonics and hear them unplugged. Make sure your gain is up, and hit it the right way, even emg designed pickups are reasonably high output and should have no problem producing harmonics.

You might check for fret buzz, if your string touches a fret down from the one your fretting, it will kill it. Try raising your action slightly and try it, easily reversible.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Quote by Maddy!
Y IS IT ALWAYS "BLAME THE EQUIPMENT" jesus christ...U should be able to pinch without the guitar plugged in and be able to Know you've done it right. Its the feelin u get when u hear it and u know ur nailing it...It aint you kit...I had a Yamaha pacifica and Fender frontman 15 R back in the day..and I was fine with that...Its all technique...just keep goin read some online lessons and ull be fine

agreed. You just need to learn how to do them well and maybe stack some distortion up.
Nah some of that is bullshit hey,

I couldnt do them with my Fender FM65R but I can do them with my Randall - They sound really similar to KsE - I couldnt do them very well with my rocktron silver dragon either - Gear does have some part to play guys...... Pups, guitars and amps will all affect it.....
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by danastasi
Nah some of that is bullshit hey,

I couldnt do them with my Fender FM65R but I can do them with my Randall - They sound really similar to KsE - I couldnt do them very well with my rocktron silver dragon either - Gear does have some part to play guys...... Pups, guitars and amps will all affect it.....

hahahahaha sorry i gotta laugh...That's the stupidest thing I've heard...yeh the way they effect it is by making it sound nice..at the end of the day if you got bad technique good gear aint goin to help you out...you should be able to do em clean...and without the guitar plugged in...and be able to hear it ring properly...I ****in hate kids that blame there kit when they can't play stuff or do stuff..Does my head in..
I don't think is the amp, pickups or anything related to the guitar. Is the technique, i had the same problem as you, but with the high E. Then i change a little my way to play pinch harmonics, and with some practice i got it. My guitar is an extremely cheap superstrat copy (Biscayne Fyler) and i can hear pinch harmonics even unplugged.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I play along with fixation on the darkness on the "set this world ablaze" DVD almost every day and ive found since i got my ESP (see sig) the harmonics do sound exactly like theirs now, more so than the ibanez (particularly on the thinner strings as the EMG seems to pick those up much better)

But the long and short of it is that both joel and adam have an incredibly tight technique for pinch harmonics, and i have no clue how they hit them every single time. But its possible to get their exact sound if u practice enough.

ATM i would hit about 3 outta 5 harmonics like them, but thats difficult, especialy when ur trying to match their pitch.

JUST PRACTICE MORE
assuming you're right about your technique, it could be your amp and pickups. you want a modern high gain tube amp (up loud!) and quality pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can pinch those harmonics pretty easy and I'm in drop C#. It just takes practice. I kind of cheat on the 3rd fret sometimes by hitting a natural harmonic first then fretting the note. The harmonic won't change at all, and you can vibrato all you want. You'd never know I wasn't pinching it.
We're only strays.
Jeez Maddy,

I didnt mean that it was all gear...... I meant gear does stilll have some part to play, and there are certain types of gear that will make pinching easier or harder..... I wasn't blaming the 'kit' at all..... It wasnt an excuse for not being able to do them...

Best of luck with them threadstarter

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by danastasi
Jeez Maddy,

I didnt mean that it was all gear...... I meant gear does stilll have some part to play, and there are certain types of gear that will make pinching easier or harder..... I wasn't blaming the 'kit' at all..... It wasnt an excuse for not being able to do them...

Best of luck with them threadstarter

Dan

Sorry I just go off on one sometimes..
For the lower strings, I usually pinch more towards the neck but I can stil pull them off cleanly towards the neck etc... Just practice and you should get them
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
hahahahaha Maddy!

Nah man, you're alright

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
There are seven different areas on the string to hit with your thumb to do pinch harmonics called 'nodes'. You just have to find the right node to get the right harmonic tone.
Hullo all i have no idea if this post is dead or not or if anyone will see this msg but...have u ever considered using artificial harmonics instead of pinch harmonics..especially on the bottom strings..i don't have good gear really..i mean my ibanez has single coils ffs..and using the dan doengan signature "Weapon" distortion and i can get kse's harmonics almost the same using artificials instead of pinches + heavy vibrato. Am i wrong?

(for those who don't know what an artificial harmonic is:

A.H. - Artificial Harmonic

For the artificial harmonic, the left hand finger presses the string like a normal note. It is the forefinger of the right hand that lightly touches the string several frets higher. The right hand has to play the note too, so it may be difficult.

The easier way is to use ur forefinger on the note and stretch ur pinky finger so it lightly touches the string several frets higher..it sometimes requires practice to find the 'spot' to begin the harmonic..then apply lots of vibrato to make it squeall like kse..lots of distortion and good pickups required..also if ur strings are a thick gauge u wont be able to bend for the best squeals)
Last edited by Oriphen at Nov 22, 2008,