Page 1 of 2
Play through a good tube clean amp (or a clean channel of a channel switching amp)

And play it through a Dist pedal to get their lead sound ?? Oh yeah, nearly maxin out the Power Amp as well......

They (Steve Vai, Ed Degenarro, Mario Parga) said, they do it because they hate stacking two types of distortion (Pre and Power) and choose just to go with Power Amp saturation.... via boosting pedals....

Now..... what difference a pedal like Crunchbox, DS-1 make ?? wouldn't that also mean stacking distortions ??

Ed D, gets his beautiful tone through a clean THD Flexi and an MI Audio Cruncbox ??

And most of them also use the clipping on the pedal.... I thought Preamp tube clipping was better than op-amp clipping ?? yet they do this ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Pedals like the DS1/2 do add gain but can be controlled and sound pretty good for lead sounds, they can also be changed quite a bit to match up etc. Its a personal preferance.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
i do it because my amps distortion sucks ass, and i looooove my DS-2.
i also have an overdrive, so i have a lot of versatility, more so than my amp can provide.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Going by your ridiculous claim of "tone is 75% in the fingers" in your sig, it shouldn't matter too much
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Going by your ridiculous claim of "tone is 75% in the fingers" in your sig, it shouldn't matter too much

Nothing ridiculous about that statement. I read an interview with Eric Claptons guitar tech. Before a show EC and the tech went to a music store. EC started playing some cheap strat and small ss practice amp. The tech was asked "How did he sound?" to which the tech replied "Great, like Eric always sounds".

Just look at the demo vids for amps. If you can find a killer player they'll make anything sound great.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
i do that too, only i stack a distortion on top of my amps distortion bcause i dont get enough gain from the amp and i havent found an OD that adds enough gain either.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by bluespunkmetal
They (Steve Vai, Ed Degenarro, Mario Parga) said, they do it because they hate stacking two types of distortion (Pre and Power) and choose just to go with Power Amp saturation.... via boosting pedals....?

I don't exactly get that. I understand that they use boosting pedals to get more gain but I don't get the whole preamp poweramp distortion thing. I know you get preamp gain from chrnking hte tubes but how do you get Poweramp gain?
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
from cranking the amps master volume, or putting a booster (OD, clean boost, distortion) in your effects loop. and also aome people just really like the sound of the clipping from the distortion pedals over the preamp.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 18, 2007,
But is it true that you get more Poweramp dist if you turn the Preamp gain down....... or use NonMV Marshall heads ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
if you turn the preamp gain down the distortion from the power tubes becomes more prominent, it increases and decreases as the tubes try to put out more volume, it also happens to to prominent on non MV Marshalls because they arent high gain and you have to crank them to get distortion.

Last.fm
I see.... so in order to get maximum Poweramp dist, you need to minimize Preamp gain ??

And the sound of Poweramp dist stacked with pedal tone is better than Poweramp dist stacked with Preamp dist ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
True tube sound comes from pushing the volume in order to get poweramp saturation, it gives great warmth and some unusual harmonics which are what true tube sound is known for. You can get good sounds from stompboxes by running them infront of a clean tube amp and pushing the power tubes hard, because the tubes add that special something. Some people do prefer preamp distortion though, but I'd encourage you to go out to your local guitar shop and crank a Fender Twin as much as you can before they throw you out, and throw your favorite distortion pedal in the mix. I actually preferred running my Metalzone(HEAVILY modified so don't scoff haha) and a few boutique boxes I have through my clean cranked amp, to any recto or marshall I've heard. Having said that, I do enjoy "Amp" distortion as well. Cranked Vox ACs rule You just have to experiment a bit to find what you like.
^Thx man....

What are those "boutique dirt boxes" of yours ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
Dunno about the other guitarists, but Vai's tone is utter crap.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

agreed, his playing isnt that great either, none of its talent its all practice, example hendrix had talent but randy roahds had practice (obviously randy had talent and hendrix practise but the bassis of there skills come from what i just said)
Ed Degenaro's tone is pretty good. Awesome player as well. Vai is kind of overrated, Satch kicks his ass.
I don't understand what power-amp and pre-amp distortion are, could somebody please explain?
Quote by Privilege
I don't understand what power-amp and pre-amp distortion are, could somebody please explain?

Preamp distortion is what happens when you crank the gain on your amp. Power amp distortion is what happens when you crank the volume all the way up, running the power amp tubes at full. Power amp distortion is favored for a more 'vintage', classic tone, because back then, many amps didn't have a gain knob.
Quote by The_0thersid3
agreed, his playing isnt that great either, none of its talent its all practice, example hendrix had talent but randy roahds had practice (obviously randy had talent and hendrix practise but the bassis of there skills come from what i just said)

I have to say that's one of the most dubiously ignorant comments I've ever seen. People don't just get born talented. They all practiced for years. I recently heard something to the likes of "guitarist's aren't born, they are made". That is the truth. Hendrix may have been a god among men, but he didn't just have talent and pick up a guitar one day and say "oh shit, I'm good".

To threadstarter:
Different strokes for different folks.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by soccerdude3465
I have to say that's one of the most dubiously ignorant comments I've ever seen. People don't just get born talented. They all practiced for years. I recently heard something to the likes of "guitarist's aren't born, they are made". That is the truth. Hendrix may have been a god among men, but he didn't just have talent and pick up a guitar one day and say "oh shit, I'm good".

To threadstarter:

He's right.
Quote by soccerdude3465

To threadstarter:

+1
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by Mudder
Nothing ridiculous about that statement. I read an interview with Eric Claptons guitar tech. Before a show EC and the tech went to a music store. EC started playing some cheap strat and small ss practice amp. The tech was asked "How did he sound?" to which the tech replied "Great, like Eric always sounds".

Just look at the demo vids for amps. If you can find a killer player they'll make anything sound great.

No, they won't. I don't care if it's Clapton, Hendrix or Jesus Jumping Christ in a Sidecar, if they play through my little 10-watt Gorilla they will sound like crap. Will they sound better than you or me? Sure. Will they sound great? Of course not, because it's a shitty amp with a shitty speaker. If that's the case, why does Clapton use the vintage Fenders he loves so much? By that logic he'll sound great through anything, why not just use a Line 6 Spider?

What's Clapton's tech going to say, "Eric sounded like a bucket of ass"?
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 20, 2007,
you know whats funny is that if any one of us were to jump on rhoads, wylde or even hendrix's rig we would sound like shit....People design there tone around there playing technique, ability etc. You have to experiment and find what works for you.
^ If a crap guitarist jumped on a pros rig they would sound like crap, but there tone wouldn't sound any different
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Its obviously going to sound like Clapton if Clapton is playing, that doesnt mean he can get good tone from any equipment. It just means he plays the same riffs and licks all the time. Your gear doesn't affect your playing style.

If I have a really funky, palm muted type style. I'll sound like that on any gear I play through - but I wont get the same tone through some huge ass Metal Stack than I would through a clean Fender amp. Nor would I get good tone out of a crappy practice amp/guitar because my playing doesn't stop all the buzzing and humming that the amp/guitar would produce.
It would be like somebody saying, "I don't want to use words to talk, I want to just go by feel, I want to rub my penis all over them. I don't want to talk" - John Frusciante's view on people who don't want to learn music theory
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Thank you for your insight pinky.

Now I'm not sure about the extra two, but Vai doesn't just run a clean amp, he has a distortion channel too, and my assumption is that he will run the dist pedal on top when he needs more gain and volume. aka. solo boost.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
But I read somewhere, he and Ibanez are designing a new pedal to replace his DS1 and TS9...... kinda a Two-in-One pedal

Why does he want such pedal..... because the two pedals it was modelled after SOUNDED GREAT THROUGH THE CLEAN CHANNEL of his amp....... wow !!

BTW, is anyone familliar with the MJM Blues Devil OD pedal ?? OR the Blackston Appliances OD pedal ??

What is Mosfet ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by x0dus
Your gear doesn't affect your playing style.

Ok you tell that to someone who is used to playing on a high gain solid state shit crate amp.. He may sound really good on that amp, but throw him on a marshall vavle amp and he will not be able to sweep thru the stings etc. So tell me how that doesnt effect your style. Ultimately that marshall amp is going to make you a better more accurate player because you cant fake or cheat ne more.
JaredFace,

Still, style is the kind of music you play, not how clean or accurate you play it....

If you like funk, you'll play funk no matter the amp.. the only difference is probably is in tone, EQ, voicing, or cleaness (this requires practice duh !!)

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Mudder
"How did he sound?" to which the tech replied "Great, like Eric always sounds"
I had to say something to this; your playing makes a huge difference in your overall sound and style, but hardly affects your tone. Kirk Hammet playing through a Marshall MG will sound like Kirk Hammet, but his amp not sound like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. They're just unrelated.
^Xactly......

Keep the faith, baby!!
about the comment i made earlier;
i didnt mean that people are born amazing guitarists but some one who has been exposed to much music early in life and even in the whom and some one whos parents also played music at a high standard would be born with a natural talent wheras some one who hasnt experienced this would be less naturally talented. if some one had bigger hands they prehaps would be better at playing music than some one with small hands.

im not saying people are born great but the first time i touched a guitar i could already figure out a few songs with out any prior knowledge.

also randy rohades said that your tone is 50 percent in your fingers, i think that some of that must be from your picking hand some from your fretting hand, some for your personal style and some from other factors.

what do you guys think?
I think it's important that people be exposed to music from when they're an unborn baby in the whom to when they're dead and lying in a twom.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 21, 2007,
Quote by The_0thersid3
about the comment i made earlier;
i didnt mean that people are born amazing guitarists but some one who has been exposed to much music early in life and even in the whom and some one whos parents also played music at a high standard would be born with a natural talent wheras some one who hasnt experienced this would be less naturally talented. if some one had bigger hands they prehaps would be better at playing music than some one with small hands.

im not saying people are born great but the first time i touched a guitar i could already figure out a few songs with out any prior knowledge.

also randy rohades said that your tone is 50 percent in your fingers, i think that some of that must be from your picking hand some from your fretting hand, some for your personal style and some from other factors.

what do you guys think?

It's not just like 'SRV has slightly thicker callouses and more mass in his hands which gives him sustain,' it's the phrasing. Someone who has just started, will sound like that, no matter what he plays through. Eric Clapton will sound like Eric Clapton, no matter what he plays through. Eric Clapton will sound better through some random UGer's rig than some random UGer will sound through Clapton's rig. The reason why these people go for the high end stuff is because they can. It sounds slightly better, but the main tone comes from the first thing in the signal chain, the fingers.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by xifr
It's not just like 'SRV has slightly thicker callouses and more mass in his hands which gives him sustain,' it's the phrasing. Someone who has just started, will sound like that, no matter what he plays through. Eric Clapton will sound like Eric Clapton, no matter what he plays through. Eric Clapton will sound better through some random UGer's rig than some random UGer will sound through Clapton's rig. The reason why these people go for the high end stuff is because they can. It sounds slightly better, but the main tone comes from the first thing in the signal chain, the fingers.

Ummm, no. For one, the word "phrasing" has nothing whatsoever to do with tone. It refers to how the notes are divided when played.

And let's see, a Soldano SLO100 sounds "slightly better" than an MG? Oy...

If you think 75% of your tone comes from your fingers, try getting up onstage and playing Master of Puppets through a Twin Reverb with no distortion pedal. Or playing a Dick Dale song through a Dual-Rect with the gain dimed and no reverb. See how close you get to the real sound using your fingers.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 21, 2007,
^^Stevie had GIGANTIC hands. He had the largest Fender neck, and at one point, his high e was an .018 (!) That creates a pretty distinguishable tone. No amount of phrasing/style emulates that. You gotta have the setup, and play with your hands like him. Yes, phrasing is essential. But that's not the whole picture.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Ummm, no. For one, the word "phrasing" has nothing whatsoever to do with tone. It refers to how the notes are divided when played.

And let's see, a Soldano SLO100 sounds "slightly better" than an MG? Oy...

If you think 75% of your tone comes from your fingers, try getting up onstage and playing Master of Puppets through a Twin Reverb with no distortion pedal. Or playing a Dick Dale song through a Dual-Rect with the gain dimed and no reverb. See how close you get to the real sound using your fingers.

Alright man, then tell me, why weren't the guitar parts on Appetite for Destruction credited to Jim Marshall?

We're not talking about playing covers here, we're talking about playing. Thinking that your gear is the only thing that has a bearing on your 'sound' is narrow minded. Even in the sense of playing covers, listen to Santana's Black Magic Woman, closely. Just listen to all his small choices, how he doesn't play things in straight rhythm. He could play that through your amp and sound brilliant. You could play that through his amp and sound shit.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Page 1 of 2