So i have a cheapish Gibson SG style guitar (Clicky ) and i was wondering would new pickups really improve the sound and make it well better?

If so i dont really have a clue about what pickups would be best or how much they cost or anything (i have quite a big budget) I play mainly blues, classic rock and modern rock.

Specs of the guitar:

Body: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany – Set Neck
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Scale: 24.75"/628mm
Frets: 22
Neck Inlays: Pearloid Crown Tuners: Wilkinson® Deluxe WJ44
Bridge: Tune-O-Matic with Stop Bar Tailpiece
Pickups: Wilkinson® Double Coil x 2 (N)MWVC (B)MWVC
Hardware: Chrome (VS6/ VS6B/ LVS6) Gold (VS6CG)
Controls: 2 x Volume/ 2 x Tone/ 3-Way Toggle

well the body is mahogany so something warm and a bit thick. Get some gibsons, they are about 90 bucks a pop. Or dimarzio makes some nice PAFs that run like 70 bucks. That outa suit your sound and wallet.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Nice, someone asks this question, AND gives the specs and style they play. Usually ya gotta ask.
Say, what brand is that? If it really follows all those specs, it isn't shabby at all.

Hmmm...a good pickup combo might depend on which style you wanna lean towards more. All these would be pretty balanced sets, though. Seymour Duncan is the brand...

A great blues/classic rock combo would be:

Neck - APH-1 Alnico Pro II - Warm, good bass response. Will do good for a classic rock sound with a little less growl.
Bridge - SH-PG-1 Pearly Gates - Rude bluesy humbucker, with a nice top end. Desiogned for brighter guitars...but you can always take a few liberties with that.

Here's a more classic rock/modern rock combo:

Neck - SH-1 '59 - Classic PAF sound right here. Great for classic rock.
Bridge - SH-14 Custom 5 - A vintage-y PAF-voiced classic rock sound, that has rich cleans. Big bottom end. The PAF sound, though it comes from the 60's and 70's Les Pauls...Definitely is more than good enough for modern rock.

Here's a bluesy/rock combo (Designed to work better with brighter guitars...but like I said, it'll still work.):
Neck - SH-PG-1 Pearly Gates - .....
Brigde - SH-11 Custom Custom - Higher output Humbucker. PAF voiced, but more aggressive. More growl. It has more midrange, smoother highs, and clean up better than the Duncan Custom, which is what I have in my SG right now, but they're similiar models. The Duncan Custom gives me a great crunch for rhythms, and cleans in Parallel wiring mode are great. It's served me well, so this HB will do ya fine.

Woo. That was fun. You should be able to find all these HB's for maybe 50, 60 bucks.
Check out the clips on Seymour Duncan's site, see what ya like.
^ Wow nice post thanks for taking the time for me.

The brand is called "Vintage" I think they only sell in the UK.

I like the sound of this set:

Neck - SH-1 '59 - Classic PAF sound right here. Great for classic rock.
Bridge - SH-14 Custom 5 - A vintage-y PAF-voiced classic rock sound, that has rich cleans. Big bottom end. The PAF sound, though it comes from the 60's and 70's Les Pauls...Definitely is more than good enough for modern rock.

I definatly check out this and all the others that were mentioned
So, I guess forsaknazrael is a SD man?
*wishes their pickups weren't so expensive in Australia*
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yes, sir. Some of the models they do are pretty nifty. Some. there are others that I've tried that I don't really like...(Dimebucker, Invader, JB...).

steven seagull has me almost wanting to check out some Dimarzios...Maybe on my next guitar.

But yeah, international pricing can be a bitch. How much is shipping to Australia?
They have Aussie dealers, the general guide is to double the price of any pickups/guitars/amps though. SD pickups range from $120-$220 EACH retail, with full EMG sets going for $380-ish.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Ok this is aimed at UK people where is the best place to buy pickups from preferably online(i guess its cheaper) plus i dont really trust ebay with the liklyhood of fakes etc.
Well in hte uk you coudl check out bareknuckle pups, I've never tried them but they've really gained a lot of respect around here in ug. talk to davemc, he can give yo ulots of suggestions as well.
Quote by the_random_hero
They have Aussie dealers, the general guide is to double the price of any pickups/guitars/amps though. SD pickups range from $120-$220 EACH retail, with full EMG sets going for $380-ish.

Ouch. That hurts my wallet to just think about...

Quote by Sharly
Ok this is aimed at UK people where is the best place to buy pickups from preferably online(i guess its cheaper) plus i dont really trust ebay with the liklyhood of fakes etc.

I've never had a problem with eBay. I bought my guitar offa eBay. The only pickup I wouldn't buy off eBay are Bill Lawrence pickups. They're the only one with fakes. Everything else is pretty much fair game, if you find someone with good feedback.

Quote by kaplac
Well in hte uk you coudl check out bareknuckle pups, I've never tried them but they've really gained a lot of respect around here in ug. talk to davemc, he can give yo ulots of suggestions as well.

They're pretty freakin expensive, though.
Quote by the_random_hero

That's fucking ridiculous.

Gear is already expensive enough in the States. I can't even fathom how bad it must be for you guys.
SD Jazz & SD JB is a good combo too
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
I wanted to get a Blues Jr, till I saw the $1200 price tag
I've been told the JB is waaaay too trebley for most peoples liking? Does that sound about right?
I don't know if Musiciansfriend.com ships to the uk, but check out the Gibson 57 Classic and 57 classic plus pickups. They provide the best, most authentic Gibson tone that I know of. They are a bit pricy (probably about $220 for the both of them) but they are the best neck and bridge pickups in production. Put the 57 classic in the neck, and the 57 classic plus in the bridge. I have that same setup in my Sg 61 reissue, and the sound is comlpetely vintage!
Quote by SG Man Forever
I don't know if Musiciansfriend.com ships to the uk, but check out the Gibson 57 Classic and 57 classic plus pickups. They provide the best, most authentic Gibson tone that I know of. They are a bit pricy (probably about $220 for the both of them) but they are the best neck and bridge pickups in production. Put the 57 classic in the neck, and the 57 classic plus in the bridge. I have that same setup in my Sg 61 reissue, and the sound is comlpetely vintage!

Wow, that response took almost a month