Why do tele's and strats sound different if I were to use the same pickups and a hard tail strat? I mean like the body shape is about the same.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
okay - first their body shapes aren't the same - one's a double cutaway, the other's a single. Second, the reason they sound so different comes from a couple of factors.

1. Body wood
2. Pickups
3. Individual Player Touch.
Quote by ohmerrymayhem
okay - first their body shapes aren't the same - one's a double cutaway, the other's a single. Second, the reason they sound so different comes from a couple of factors.

1. Body wood
2. Pickups
3. Individual Player Touch.

I put specifications in the post. If I use the same pickups and the same wood.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
The metal plate under the tele bridge pickup focuses the magnetic field somehow, also the tele bridge pickup is angled 15 degrees more to the bridge than a strats, giving a treblier sound.

Plus the pickups themselves are slightly different
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
On the neck setting they both sound pretty similar, in my opinion. The difference between strat neck and Tele neck is just p/u's. In the bridge, it has to do with where and how the p/u is placed, as well as the type of PU. The middle one is most different. 2 on a tele corresponds to 2 or 4 on a strat, with the polarity reversed and a hum-bucking effect produced. The only way to get this sound on a strat would be to reverse the polarity of either the bridge or neck, and play through the bridge and neck, but not the mid. Thats all I can think of.

If you put in a tele bridge with a tele pu at a tele angle, it should sound pretty similar in the bridge position.

if you do it, post pics and clips.
Nah im just wondering because I like the strat sound but I like the tele look. My style of music is like oasis,red hot chili peppers, zeppelin type stuff. So I think a basswood tele should suit if I just choose appropriate pickups.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by 7PlaGues
the standard tele has a single coil and a humbucker

If by "single coil and a humbucker" you mean "2 single coils"
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
It mainly comes down to pickups, but the bridge might change the tone a bit too.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Tele is like a chunk of wood with a few routs and a backrout I think. and Strats have a huge chunk taken out so a pickguard will work.

plus the shape of the body.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Well, 'Telecaster' is a copyrighted name owned by the Fender corporation, so NO guitar not made by Fender, however much it may resemble a Telecaster, is a Telecaster.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
99% of the tone is down to pickups. The neck pickup has a very small bobbin which gives you the classic teli neck tone. The bridge pickup has a metal plate under it with gives it that teli twang. The bobbins in the neck and the bridge are slightly taller than strat bobbins and a lot taller than PAF pickups. Tall pickups means bright tones.
Not taking any online orders.
Just thought id add to this thread, I my tele.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
The bridge makes up the biggest difference. The difference you hear between the neck pickups (of tele and strat) is all due to the bridge. Switching to the bridge pickup, the baseplate makes a lot of difference.

Strat pickups in a tele will still sound 90% tele, and vice versa.
As others have said, the pickup rout, the bridge plate and the pickups are big factors, plus the fact that the bridge on a Tele is string through, which gives it more sustain.
Quote by The Iron Man
Why do tele's and strats sound different if I were to use the same pickups and a hard tail strat? I mean like the body shape is about the same.

This is like asking why SG's and Les Paul's sound different
Quote by Oldmonkeys
actually you didint metion the wood in your post

Ya i know. I thought it was self explanatory.
Quote by iHeart_LesPauls

Not not really. The different is much clearer in sg's to les pauls.
Vox ad15vt
yamaha f-310p
Quote by iHeart_LesPauls

not really...there is about a half inch more wood on a lp than on a sg, not to mention a maple cap.

so no- that is not like asking SG's and Les Paul's sound different

and as many ppl said, its the pups. tho the neck, cutouts, routes, and bridge have there effect on the tone, its mainly the pups

and you can put strat pups in a tele- save for the bridge i do believe. alot of country players do that, because they like the twang of the tele bridge n neck, but the mid of a strat.
The body mass...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.