Hi everyone,

I have been playing bass for about 6 months and have progressed quickly. Despite defending the fact that the bass is not just a guitar for people who can't handle 6 strings, my friends are very amused that now i want to buy an acoustic! (Or do I?!)

Now i'm playing bass (which i love), i've got rock, funk and blues covered. However, i want to be able to play all the poncey stuff i love, like Radiohead, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Damien Rice, James Blunt etc. To be able to do this, would i want a fully acoustic or an electro acoustic?!

-Does the electro-acoustic, apart from being louder (duh), have a different sound to acoustic?
-Would i be able to play it through my bass amp?
-Would it mean i could get away with playing songs that should technically be played on electric guitar (for example when Naive by The Kooks sounded better on my friend's electro acoustic than on his electric?
-Could i run an electro-acoustic through my effects pedal?

Or should i just sod all that and get a good ol' fasioned six string that doesn't need plugging in?

I would be very grateful if you could let me know of your opinion or any guitars that would be particularly good to buy (my budget is £300 but i would rather be spending £200).

Thanks! Zac.
i like electro acoustics, but i cant rele give u much advice soz.

except if ur gonna play it live it makes it way easier.
At £200 you won't get a decent quality electro-acoustic. go with an acoustic. quality will be better and you can just mic it or get a soundhole pickup if you're going to be performing at a largish venue
Electro acoustics don't sound different, except for the fact that many of them have smaller bodies, since they don't need to worry so much about natural amplification.

You would be able to play it thru the bass amp, but I would suggest investing in an Acoustic Bass Amp eventually, not required though.

As for the effects pedal, I don't see why not, unless the bass creates too much feedback. I've run my Acoustic Electric guitar thru my Amp and my distortion pedal and in close quarters the feedback is a bitch.
Some electro acoustics sound differant and some don't. If it's an undersaddle transducer like they use on martin guitars and most low end acoustic guitars, then it will hurt tone a little, but not a lot. If it's a soundboard transducer like they use in most non martin high end guitars then it won't hurt the guitars tone at all.

If the guitar has onboard controles that requier you to cut a big hole in the side of the guitar then it will hurt tone. If the guitar only has 3 little holes drilled, or doesn't have any holes for onboard controlles then it won't hurt tone.

I always tell people that it's not worth setting out to buy an electric acoustic because typically the stock electronics are not good, or improperly installed anyway. So the best thing to do is get a good solid top acoustic for about 200 quid, then spend 50 to 80 quid on a pickup. This gives you a better guitar and a better pickup then you will ever find in an electro acoustic for 300 quid and you save money.
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks guys,

After hearing that i'm gonna go with a fully acoustic. Any ideas on particularly good buys for around £200?

Thanks,

Zac.
Quote by Zac!
However, i want to be able to play all the poncey stuff i love, like Radiohead, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Damien Rice, James Blunt etc. To be able to do this, would i want a fully acoustic or an electro acoustic?!

You could play any of that stuff with either an acoustic or an acoustic-electric.
Quote by Zac!
-Does the electro-acoustic, apart from being louder (duh), have a different sound to acoustic?

This generally depends on how nice the guitar is. I tend to find that cheaper guitars (typically guitars under 1000 USD) sacrifice tone when adding a cutaway and/or a traditional equalizer. These guitars sound less full and don’t project as well, in my opinion.
Quote by Zac!
-Would i be able to play it through my bass amp?

Yes. If you are going to play it through your bass amp though, I’d recommend just getting a regular acoustic and a cheap magnetic soundhole pickup as opposed to an acoustic-electric. Magnetic soundhole pickups sound just as good, if not better, when you’re playing through an amp that isn’t made for acoustic guitars.
Quote by Zac!
-Would it mean i could get away with playing songs that should technically be played on electric guitar (for example when Naive by The Kooks sounded better on my friend's electro acoustic than on his electric?

Generally you can play anything on an acoustic guitar that you can play on an electric guitar, regardless of whether you’re playing a regular acoustic or an acoustic-electric. There are some things that an electric guitar can do that an acoustic guitar can’t replicate perfectly such as loads of sustain and shrieking pinch harmonics. Don’t view this as bad or as a problem though. Acoustic guitar is a completely different instrument and style from an electric guitar. They aren’t supposed to sound the same!
Quote by Zac!
-Could i run an electro-acoustic through my effects pedal?

You sure can. If you decide to go the route I recommended (regular acoustic and soundhole pickup), you can also play through effects pedals like that.
Quote by Zac!
Or should i just sod all that and get a good ol' fasioned six string that doesn't need plugging in?

I already touched on this earlier, but for your situation I would recommend going with a regular acoustic. You are going to end up with a much nicer guitar for the same price and you can always get a pickup installed in the guitar later down the road if you decide you want to get a dedicated acoustic amplifier… until then the soundhole pickup is the best option for you.
Quote by Zac!
I would be very grateful if you could let me know of your opinion or any guitars that would be particularly good to buy (my budget is £300 but i would rather be spending £200).

300 GBP is roughly 600 USD, so you can get a pretty nice acoustic for that price. You’ll have to forgive me as I don’t know the availability of certain brands overseas, but my recommendation in this price range would have to be this guitar by Alvarez:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-MD60-Masterworks-Series-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518831

That guitar is all solid wood and I, personally, really love the tone of a cedar soundboard. Tonewood choice is definitely just personal preference though. Either way, Alvarez is well-known for manufacturing quality acoustic guitars for much cheaper than the competition.

If you’re wanting to go more towards 200 GBP, or roughly 400 USD, I’d recommend checking into these guitars:

Alvzarez AD70s: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Artist-Series-AD70S-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518797
Yamaha FG750S: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG750S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518278
Takamine G360S: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G-Series-G360S-Classical-Guitar-?sku=512205
Washburn WD32SW: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-WD32SW-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515939

As when buying any guitar, it’s always best to get on over to your local music shops and try out everything they have. Your ears will give you much better “which guitar” advice than any of us can. The guitars I listed are just suggestions for you to check out should you get the opportunity.
Wow,

I've never used a forum before but your responses have been amazing! Thanks very much for the tips, i'll deffo check out those guitars!

Zac.