The other guitar player in my band just recieved an extra 3500 bux from a scholarship that he doesn't need for school so he wants to spend some of it and get a new amp and sell his rivera K-100 and possibly his Marshall 1960a cab. He normally asks me about amps because i know a little about midrange amps, but he is looking at Engl's and Bogners and i have no experience with them cuz i have never had the option. I have been to all the guitar centers within 4 hours from here and they have mesa's and marshalls and thats about it. So if you guys have experience with those high end amps that he could get used for like 2.5k for the head let me know what you know. also which cabs would be best, or if possible if the marshall would be fine. We play a mix between in flames, Lamb of god and a slight As I Lay Dying influence. thanks tons.
The 1960A cab is fine - its a great cab. About a head, I Marshall have a new head the JVM410H which is 100 watts and 4 channel, I'm getting one soonish and theyre supposed to be very good and in budget (£900 - $1600?)
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
i forgot to mention i want the distortion to mesh well with my JCM 2000 DSL. Unfortunatly i don't have the same "problem" as him.
I dont think the distortion needs to match that much. But a Marshall JVM would match your JCM with a little more gain for solos etc. He doesnt need to spend all the money on an amp alone, he could always get some effects as well

If he wants to get an amp though and nothing else, how about a Soldano Super Lead Overdrive. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Soldano-SLO100-Super-Lead-Overdrive-Head?sku=489125
Ive heard good things about them for the style of music he likes but Ive personally not tryed one out.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Last edited by Jimbo999 at Jan 18, 2007,
haha i'm sure thats a great amp, but we are trying to keep it under 3k, cuz he also needs a noise gate. and we are trying desperatly to keep it under 3k cuz then he won't have to get a job to pay rent, which equals more time for us to jam. so from what i've seen i've looked at Framus Cobras, Bogner Uberschalls, Engl Powerball and for some reason he is thinking about a Krank Revolution. i'm not sure bout any other amps. like i said i'm new to this level of amps.
He could get a H&K Triamp for exactly $3000. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Triamp-MK-II-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-Head?sku=480468
Its really versatile but if you want something not so expensive the Powerball is a good amp by the looks of things. I think it also has an built in noise gate for high gain channels.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Tell him to try the Krank out, and then tell him to compare it with a Peavey 6505.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
VHT Pittbull Ultralead.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

With that kind of cash he could get a very very nice amp. All the ones listed so far seem pretty good but I recommend looking into Bruno amps.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
alright we comrised a complete list of amps that he likes, i think its only based off artists that he knows uses them, and like i mentioned we can't play any of them.
Mesa Dual Rect
Krank Revolution
Framus Cobra
Bogner Uberschall
Engl Powerball
and now he refuses to listen to me and check out other amps. he thinks cuz he wants a sound close to a band that if he gets that amp its best. i don't agree but out of those which do you think is the best for the money, and should he look into a different cab?
The cab should so fine (a 1960A is a great cab - pros use them) unless you want a matching one for the head. Mesa Dual Recto or the Powerball are the best in the list. The artist sound isnt all amp. The closest RHCP ive found is a Fender Twin Amp and Frusciante uses Marshalls, its settings over amp brand.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

i know i tried explaining that but he's the type of person who won't believe it until he's experienced it. the only thing with the cab since its got GT 12-75s i don't know if it will have the low end to hold the mesa or the krank, and i'm not sure bout the powerball cuz i can't find soundclips on it.
where are you located?

the framus may be a really great way to go, or possibly a mark IV, both great, versatile amps. and with the mark IV, you will have some cash left over
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by eyezclosed
alright we comrised a complete list of amps that he likes, i think its only based off artists that he knows uses them, and like i mentioned we can't play any of them.
Mesa Dual Rect
Krank Revolution
Framus Cobra
Bogner Uberschall
Engl Powerball
and now he refuses to listen to me and check out other amps. he thinks cuz he wants a sound close to a band that if he gets that amp its best. i don't agree but out of those which do you think is the best for the money, and should he look into a different cab?

Well problem is with those amps is that for the most part they're tonally completely different. I would never recommend a Rectifier, I just don't like the tone, although that doesn't mean anything because many people do like it. I haven't played a Krank so I can't tell you. I just got a Framus Cobra and its rediculous, massive low end, warm mids, and a high end that can be dialed in really anywhere, but its smooth, not harsh like rectos. (in the middle it's great.) Bogners are typically a Marshall-y tone, although the uberschall is supposed to have a massive low end. Engls are more upper middy, but with a huge low end from what I've been told. A lot of low end is probably the only thing they have in common, the voicings are totally different.

So really in order to help you choose, we need to know what kind of tone your other guitarist is looking for.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
With that kind of money don't even bother with 5150/6505's or Kranks. Look at Diezel (diesel?) or ENGL's. Or Mesa's.
High as tits
for that budget, forget dual rects; the mark IV would be good.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
For Mesa's:
Roadking (One of the most versital amps around)
Roadster
Mark IV

any of these would be great choices...look at other brands too!
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Ditch the 1960A.... there are far, far better cabs out there both tone and construction wise... The cab is an absolutely integral part of your tone. Just as much as the head IMO. Don't skimp out with an exceptional head and just a passable cab.
Quote by electrik
Ditch the 1960A.... there are far, far better cabs out there both tone and construction wise... The cab is an absolutely integral part of your tone. Just as much as the head IMO. Don't skimp out with an exceptional head and just a passable cab.

+1
I see a lot of guitar players who buy expensive heads but then don't have enough money to buy a good cab. Your tone is only as good as your worst piece of equiptment.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Quote by zackprs
+1
I see a lot of guitar players who buy expensive heads but then don't have enough money to buy a good cab. Your tone is only as good as your worst piece of equiptment.

I learned the hard way, many times. Now that I have an excellent cab, I see how big of a factor your cab plays. And that is a really, really big one.
Bogner cabs pwn
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Another little thing is cables. Bad cables can really make your amp sound band. Not to mention that they crap out very often. Usually right before you are about to go on stage.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Quote by electrik

agreed.

also, why is he selling the rivera? i thought rivera were great?

thumbs down for the triamp from me too, it's way too dear for what it is, IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?