Does anyone do/know anything about Music Tech for A Level? I was thinking of doing it. It says music GCSE is preferred, but not required and I think I should be ok. The requirements are an enthusiasm for popular music (check), have a good ear for music (check, I think) and good keyboard skills (not check). Keyboard is one of the few instruments I haven't yet given a go that I'd like to. Will it be absolutely essential to have good keyboard skills or could I pass by on a pretty decent level on bass, guitar and even some drums? The course includes using Cubase and Sibelius. I believe Sibelius uses those small USB keyboards, but I reckon I could transcribe a song I’d written on guitar onto keyboard.

So yeah, any help or advice would be appreciated. Cheers.

EDIT: I'll be taking it a Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys, if that has any relevance or anyone by chance knows the school.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Last edited by -February-Star- at Jan 18, 2007,
Im thinking of doing that too and i heard that you really only need VERY BASIC keyboard skills, and its not that hard to learn. You usually have to take a brief exam before they let you on the course though to see if you are suited
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
They ask for rudimentary keyboards, but to be honest nothing really past maybe a few bars of a nursery rhyme. In interviews generally they are looking more for ideas about recording than specific knowledge, like for example, if you said you prefer recording a guitar direct as opposed to mic'd and why, that'd be more repsected than going in and stating the modes of the major scale off your head.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I went to an open day at the college im going to and they guy actually said to me, you really dont need to be able to play keyboard, as long as you can read a short melody in the treble clef and prepare it within half an hour you are fine
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I do this course at my sixth form.
Through out the two yeas in a nutshull:

* Arranging using advanced methods of MIDI sequencing.
* Composing
* Producing musical scores.
* Engineering recording sessions.
* Performing in recording sessions.
* Listening to a wide range of pop/jazz music, and learning to appreciate the various methods of sound engineering employed in recordings.
* Analysing film music.

To do this course at my school they say you require a minimum of Grade 3 theory. From the title of the course and what it includes it seems to be all computer work but it is far from it.

Ill write a bit more about it a little later
I'm doing it. I can't read music. I can't play the keyboard. And i don't have a good musical ear. However i'm getting on with it quite well. It's a cool subject and isn't that difficult.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
TECHNOGOLY is the key word here. Like your music GCSE, but like what Cjay4 said.

It's more of the right move to take if your looking into the more techical side. If your looking for a more music music side, you're probably besat off taking something else.
I posted my application just yesterday, and I chose Music and Music Tech. Partly becaus my brother took Music Tech and said it was piss really so long as you keep up.

The teacher at this college recommends Grade 5 theory though, and he's even giving extra theory sessions starting in a couple of weeks to those taking the course.

If I were you, I'd buckle up with your theory and have a play around on the keyboard

But anyway, most colleges allow you to swap your subjects about in the first few weeks if you're not happy........ That's why I took R.S :p
It's a good course

I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in music

Quote by Craigo
TECHNOGOLY is the key word here. Like your music GCSE, but like what Cjay4 said.

It's more of the right move to take if your looking into the more techical side. If your looking for a more music music side, you're probably besat off taking something else.

Not true as such

I've been doing lots of theory in my lessons as well
Arg i wanted to take that this year but i can't read music fluently only tab lol. I can read basic music but not at grade 5 level. Havent been playing guitar long enough.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by stratele
Arg i wanted to take that this year but i can't read music fluently only tab lol. I can read basic music but not at grade 5 level. Havent been playing guitar long enough.

all my friends who do it aren't any grade at all. hell, they cant even read any notation.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Does anywhere really allow you to do both? (music and music tech)

I've applied for music at my school sixth form, but they say when it comes to it you just choose the one you wanna do, you can't pick both

is this the case in most places?
Cheers people. I'm getting the idea that maybe loads of keyboard experience isn't needed, which is good. I may get my friend to teach me the basics (he's not bad on piano) and take it from there. I'm way more interested in the technical side of music anyway, as opposed to music as in what you do at GCSE, which is why I'm considering this course instead of Music.

I got an info sheet for the course earlier and it looks very simalar to what Cjay4 outlined, most of which appeals to me and I think I could manage, it was just the keyboard thing I was troubled by, but if only a basic level really is required, I'm sure I could get that down.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts, anything else you think might be relevant would be greatly appreciated. I've got options evening next thursday, so I'm thinking about this a lot at the moment and any help is more than welcome.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-

I got an info sheet for the course earlier and it looks very simalar to what Cjay4 outlined, most of which appeals to me and I think I could manage, it was just the keyboard thing I was troubled by, but if only a basic level really is required, I'm sure I could get that down.

Yeah your right about that when it comes to they keyboard you need to just be able to relate your ideas through the keyboard.
I asked the music teacher at my school and she said it requires grade 5 theory.

Your teacher's the best person to speak to.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club