Short answer: no.

Long answer: It may inspire you, and it may influence you, and you may even build your style around it as you learn to play. But it won't make you faster, more accurate, or magically understand guitar theory.
^+1
You nailed it one there Danno
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I agree wholeheartedly though a distortion pedal may make it seem like you're better, because it'll cover up your mistakes. It shan't make you better unfortunately.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

As Danno said. I think it's a good idea to get an effect if you like the sound of it, i dunno how it is for others but for me the sound is very important because the better sound i have the more i love playin...
Quote by Danno13

Long answer: It may inspire you, and it may influence you, and you may even build your style around it as you learn to play. But it won't make you faster, more accurate, or magically understand guitar theory.

Couldnt have said it better myself
Yeh Danno is right. Unless you get a looper then it can sound like your playing 5 guitars at once, but generally speaking no.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Quote by Danno13

95% true 5% false

It's true because of all the thing's he said, and also because it can cover up your mistakes.

False because there is some art to playing well with distortion. Learning to control distortion isn't nearly as easy as people seem to think. It takes practice to be able to crank the distortion to the point of your guitar feeding back, and have each note you play come out clearly without other notes ringing, and all the extra noise that comes with distortion playing. Learning to control that is another key to better playing, and it can't be done by playing clean, because you generally won't hear any of that extra noise.

Still first and foremost you need to sound good clean, before you add any effects. Usually I'll practice everything I play totally clean first, then add everything after it sounds smooth and even.

Someone mentioned a loop station in the thread. This will absolutely help your playing, just loop some simple chord progressions and practice your scales and improve over it. There is absolutely no better way to get ear training than that.
Thanks, I was planning to buy a multi effect thinking that I would learn to play fast if I have an effect, though all of you agreed so I changed my mind and spent my money on something else.
having tons of pedals on a large pedal board will just make you look good.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by Moldedwurm
Thanks, I was planning to buy a multi effect thinking that I would learn to play fast if I have an effect, though all of you agreed so I changed my mind and spent my money on something else.

A Boss ME50 is great. I have mine connected to a Boss SD-1 into any amp and it sounds amazing.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by Danno13

Yup^^
+2

However non guitar players have been like OMG how did you do that???
And there impressed. cause the sound made a wah noise or had an echo and they don't know how
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
when i had my cheap multi effect, i used to play all day. so in a way, it made me better, because i was always playing and wanted to learn new things about the instument

but it wont make you better better
Quote by MiniMusicMasta
no matter how good you are, fx are useful, but won't make you any better. to get fast, use elbow grease.

How am I going to use the elbow grease? Is this a joke or for real?
Even if you have a full array of effects, don't overuse them. I try to play cleanly through a lot of pieces to make sure I am nailing the notes and not covering up mistakes with distortion.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Skip the effect and get a metronome!
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
+A million for both the metronome and looper ideas. The metronome helps you build your speed and keeps those chops tight! The looper is an awesome creative tool, you really just extend your options about a million with that one box. Generally, I think playing clean is the way to go at first, if you can sound good on a dry clean amp without effects, you can sound good on anything.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yup^^
+2

However non guitar players have been like OMG how did you do that???
And there impressed. cause the sound made a wah noise or had an echo and they don't know how

yes it's always fun tricking people into thinking your amazing lol i remember once I was warming up just doing some random hammer-ons and pull-offs, then I click my wah on and my friend was like "OMG that's so amazing!!! Dude your f***ing awesome" and i'm standing there like its not that good, just a little baby crying
Quote by zeppelinpage4
How am I going to use the elbow grease? Is this a joke or for real?

Is that a joke? Have you never heard the term elbow grease before? Well incase you havent, it means just work your ass off
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Dude when i put my whammy up 2 octaves it puts two more notes in my playing thus making me faster! a.k.a you are a dumb shit
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Quote by TehJermie
+A million for both the metronome and looper ideas. The metronome helps you build your speed and keeps those chops tight! The looper is an awesome creative tool, you really just extend your options about a million with that one box. Generally, I think playing clean is the way to go at first, if you can sound good on a dry clean amp without effects, you can sound good on anything.

So which one should I buy first, a metronome or a looper? Both are helpful though I'd like to know which one can help more.

Thanks for all your replies...
A metronome is good for increasing your speed with scales etc. but there are free online versions (Im not sure where but I found one once). A looper is a fun thing, Id use one to record the chords and improvise over the top, theyre also pretty good to just record the song you're playing and play it back and listen to it to spot any mistakes.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by Moldedwurm
So which one should I buy first, a metronome or a looper? Both are helpful though I'd like to know which one can help more.

Thanks for all your replies...

A looper is kind of expensive, I'd go to a guitar shop and ask them for the cheapest metronome that they have, and if you still have enough to spring for the looper, do it. As the guy above me said, metronomes are really great to improve speed, and it will help you to learn to play in time and will make it that much easier for you if/when you're in a band.
all-guitar-chords.com has a free online metronome

And is a wonderfull resource for chords and scales.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Yeah l saw a looper and it really is too expenssive. I already have downloaded a free metronome software though I'll be buying a real one soon so that i can bring it in my room for me to practice. Thanks for all your help... Really appreciate it... Cool...