I'm just wondering what kind of modulations usually sound nice?
I know modulating to the dominant is good, and I modulated to the subdominant before and it was pretty decent. But just wondering, is modulating to the relative minor sound good to anyone else(it sounds pretty decent to me)and any other ones that sound half decent?
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
Last edited by con job at Jan 18, 2007,
use a neopolitan with a 7th as your new V and modulate to the IV#. or modulate to the parallel minor or the relative major, if youre already in a minor key
^yes...N6's are amazing

Modulating to the ii is common in pop music. Just ask Barry Manilow. But really...it does sound good sometime, but the N6 going to a vii/V or N6- i sounds really nice.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
i heard modulating to iii sounds nice. my friend says he heard a band he listens to do it and he said it was amazing. In theory it works anyway
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
If you want to modulate, its usually better to modulate to a key with one accidental difference. So if you're in C then modulate to either F or G. Same thing if you are in Bb you can go to F or Eb. Also, what would sound interesting is if you modulated to a key a tritone apart. But I guess it depends on what kind of sounds you are looking for.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
lessee here, I enjoy:

I to bVI
I to VI (I.e. natural minor's parallel major)
I to i
i to I
I to bVII
I to V, I to IV, I to V of V
I to II (basically indicating Lydian - go back to the real route of the key for some fun)
I to vi
I to iii if you can use it in a context that makes it sound like vi
I to the neopolitan itself instead of using the neopolitan as a clever pivot chord.

I also have fun just modulating to non-key progressions, such as, say,
i, bI, bVII, V.

I hope I didnt over generalize, even though I know I did. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!