At the moment I have a 10 watt Orange Crush practice amp. I want something quite versatile with good cleans and great distortion. I'm thinking of getting something inbetween 60-100 watt, combo or head and cab, I don't mind. I need something which can do small gigs and shows at pubs or something...

I play mainly metal but also play some indie, pop-punk, blues and country.

My budget is £300 ($592) at the max.

I was thinking of getting the Vox AD100VT, would this be a good decision?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by cash49 at Jan 18, 2007,
You could try a Fender amp for clean sounds, and use a distortion pedal. A Marshall would also do quite well for any style of music you want to play.
i vote a good marshall
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
what do you consider metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thats Hughes & Kettner combo looks nice, I think my friend recommended that to me aswell.

And when I say metal I mean stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Trivium and stuff like that. But remember I also needed good cleans aswell.
The DSL401 is slightly too expensive, anyone got any comments on the Hughes & Kettner Matrix?
40 watt Ashdown Fallen Angel is under budget, if you shop around.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ yeah, i'd say probably the ashdown. though try the h&k too.

remember to crank them both though. When cranked, I'd assume the FA is better than the h&k.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
whatever you do though, dont mess with any distortion pedals! If you've got 600 bucks to spend, get the distortion you like on the amp you buy. Never buy any amp without giving it a test run in all the departments you're looking for. I would say two that ive used on a recurring basis are the fender princeton chorus(new and old are both pretty good. I was shocked to hear how amazingly heavy the gain on it was. it shocked me. but not much thump at low volumes, but thats easily corrected. and it has beautiful cleans, especially with some chorus kicked in). My other suggestion would be an ibanez toneblaster. You can buy a half-stack version for less than 600 for sure. They surprisingly have really nice cleans. and of course the gain sick on them. their really versatile. Another suggestion i would have is look for a really nice head and spend less on the cab. The nice thing about cabinets is you can simply swap the speakers out afterwards and it will sound entirely differently. Hope i helped you. feel free to ask me anything more if you need.
I know I don't really count because I own it, but I do really like the H&K for what it does. It sounds a lot more "real" than Cubes and the like, it won't compete with a valve amp but it does sound pretty good. And its versatile, too.

Bad points:

It's quite bassy at higher gain levels.
It has a tendency to give a feedback that sounds similar to a rhino's mating call if you crank it up above 8 with the gain above 6. But you won't need to do that, it's a loud amp.

Definitely try the Ashdown but don't totally rule out the H&K.

http://timiny.dmusic.com

Everything but the valve jr clips (duh) are done with the H&K.

I'm looking to sell mine, incidentally, so if you're interested shoot me a PM.

I'm not saying the amp's good to try and get rid of it - it's a genuinely good amp, I just want to make the step up to valve
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Cool, thanks for all the help!

I'll try out the Ibanez Tone Blaster, Ashdown Fallen Angel and the Hughes & Kettner at my local music store and get back to you guys.
I'm extremely concerned that you know what a rhino's mating call sounds like, tim.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm extremely concerned that you know what a rhino's mating call sounds like, tim.

I had a tough time in 'Nam, k?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cash49
Cool, thanks for all the help!

I'll try out the Ibanez Tone Blaster, Ashdown Fallen Angel and the Hughes & Kettner at my local music store and get back to you guys.

dont even waste your time trying the toneblaster, its so crappy
Quote by DBS_KICKS_ASS
dont even waste your time trying the toneblaster, its so crappy
+1, the toneblaster sucks horribly.
why the hell does everyone say that? the amps dont suck, you just dont like them. Youre too stuck in your ways thats why. Everyone tried to insist they suck, but i played one and was blown away. The only other amp i would desire to get for the price i played for my toneblaster head would be a randall RG200SC. AND THATS IT! The Ibanez is like the second best, but those Randalls are hard to find since they got discontinued. At least try out the amp, phuck these other guys, if you dont like it, then thats all good, im not forcing you. But definitely dont overlook them cuz some dipshi+ on here said they suck!
I hate it when people just dismiss things by saying they suck. Sound quality is a matter of opinion, what some people think sucks might sound great to someone else. What's your definition of "suck"? Nothing sounds more juvenile than saying something sucks without backing up your opinion with some kind of fact or argument. What could be more intellectually lazy?

...but Toneblasters do suck.

Actually it was more like a licking sensation, in the hairy, sweaty, testicular region of my dangling ballbag. But of course, that's just my opinion.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 21, 2007,
^^^well i apologize that not everyone in the world of musicianship is a friggin rich or financially stable person as yourself. If I could afford amps that were "great" I would, but of course money is a factor when it comes to those amps. But I choose to look for underpriced amps that sound good for what they are and what they do. Just one of youre guitars alone cost more than my entire rig! But plus if you ask me if takes much more talent and determination to make crap sound good then it does to just go buy the most sought after and expensive amps on the market. Anybody idiot could do that!
Quote by ready2breakdown
^^^well i apologize that not everyone in the world of musicianship is a friggin rich or financially stable person as yourself. If I could afford amps that were "great" I would, but of course money is a factor when it comes to those amps. But I choose to look for underpriced amps that sound good for what they are and what they do. Just one of youre guitars alone cost more than my entire rig! But plus if you ask me if takes much more talent and determination to make crap sound good then it does to just go buy the most sought after and expensive amps on the market. Anybody idiot could do that!

I'm not sure if that was directed at me but my amp cost me a whopping $500 (actually $620 including shipping from Canada) but it has the best sound of any amp I've ever played. I ditched an $1800 Framus Cobra when I found it. My guitars aren't all that pricey either, the most expensive one was the Jem at $1100, both the others cost me well under $1000. I agree you don't necessarily need to spend an arm and a leg to get equipment that makes you happy. There are alot of great amps out there that are reasonably priced, it's just that the Toneblaster is, um, not one of them.

As far as being rich goes, I'm not, but I'm not a high school kid either. I'm a guitarist in my 30's who is in a gigging band, my rig is actually pretty modest compared to alot of guys I know. I'm not claiming to be an all-knowing gear guru, but I've been playing a long time and have used alot of different amps and it's hard to hold my tongue when I hear statements like "whatever you do, dont mess with any distortion pedals" followed by a description of how "amazingly heavy" the gain is on a Fender Princeton Chorus, followed by "Toneblasters dont suck, you just dont like them. Youre too stuck in your ways thats why".... Oy.

If it wasn't directed at me, well slap my ass and call me Sally! A thousand apologies.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgreymatt
Nothing sounds more juvenile than saying something sucks without backing up your opinion with some kind of fact or argument. What could be more intellectually lazy?

...but Toneblasters do suck.

Actually it was more like a licking sensation, in the hairy, sweaty, testicular region of my dangling ballbag. But of course, that's just my opinion.

That really sounds like a guy in his 30s to me...

yeah i was talking to you actually. What are you saying about the things i said? You said them outta context. I was saying the fender's were heavy compared to my original expectations. Distortion pedals DO suck compared to the amps natural gain. I really dont see why you hate toneblasters so damn much either and why youre making such a big ass deal about me saying they didnt suck. I never said they were like the holy grail of all amps or something. I just said they dont suck. With most any amp you never get the exact tone you'd want outta it. Ive got pedals running through mine that unlock and fill in missing parts. I would love to own a guitar even close to 700 bucks. You say your gears modest to other guys you know, but this guy may be young as well, what makes you think he can spend a shit load on an amp? But i really dont think the price of shit matters so much. I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio with a Zakk Wylde setup(even though im not all that crazy about Zakk) for 500 bucks. Thats about a quarter of the price of what you would pay for one new. But one thing I have yet to see you do is name a single amp in the price range of a toneblaster thats better than it...
Randall RG200 or RG100.

2x12 SS combo, great for death metal scooped sound, decent cleans, all around good SS amp.

EDIT: A good feature Randall heads have is the ability to run a 4x12 ext. cab. The RG75 is a perfect example, its75 watts for practice, but when hooked up to a 4x12 it pushes 100. The RG100 pushes 100 as well, and the RG200 pushes 200 watts. A 200w SS 3/4 stack would be pretty loud, plus the advantage of good sound at low volumes for practice. If you wanna get really crazy, you can run more than one amp at the same time with the preamp outs. You can run another combo as a slave, and that can even drive another 4x12. The possiblilites are endless.

argh I love Randall.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jan 24, 2007,
No, you said that they were really versatile, that their gain was totally sick and that you were blown away them.

"Distortion pedals DO suck compared to the amps natural gain". See, it's vague, cut-and-dried, blanket statements like that that make you sound like yet another guy who's been playing for maybe 9 or 12 months, has tried out 5 or 6 six amps, and now really thinks he knows what's up with gear, sort of the prototypical UG'er. It depends on the pedal and the amp you're talking about, as well as the amp you're comparing them to. I think most people would find the distorted tone you get from a Tonebone Hot British pedal and a Fender '59 Bassman preferable to what you'd get from, say, a Toneblaster or a Marshall MG.

Let's see, an amp under $600 that's better than a Toneblaster, uh...

-Vox Valvetronix AD100VT
-Peavey Valveking or Windsor
-Epiphone Blues Custom 30-watt
-Fender Blues Junior
-Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
-Ampeg Super Jet

Any of those would, IMHO, be a better amp for the money. If the threadstarter were to go used, maybe via Ebay, he could get even more bang for his buck. An old Ampeg VT-22 or VT-60, Crate Blue Voodoo120, Traynor YCV50 or a Fender Twin or Hot Rod DeVille, the list goes on and on. Most of these last ones would need a distortion or OD pedal to do anything approaching metal, but there are a large number of great pedals out there that can give you a fantastic high-gain sound with the right amp. Yes I said it, a great metal sound, using a pedal!?! Keep in mind I'm in the US so I don't know alot about what brands are readily available on that side of the pond, but generally speaking I think he'll be happier with a tube (or valve) amp, even if that means relying on a pedal for his heavier sounds.

"I would love to own a guitar even close to 700 bucks", well as I said, I'm an old guy with a halfway decent job and I'm in a band that plays out, it'd be pretty sad if I was playing a Dean EVO into a Peavey Backstage at this stage of the game. I've put in my time playing through crap gear, when I was 18 my rig was an Ibanez Roadstar into a Peavey Renown. If you're still in high school and you have a Gibson LP Studio, I'd say you're doing just fine.

Lastly, what, once you hit 30 you're too old to say words like hairy, sweaty, dangling ballbag? Does ballsack sound more mature?
Quote by chase312
Randall RG200 or RG100.

2x12 SS combo, great for death metal scooped sound, decent cleans, all around good SS amp.

EDIT: A good feature Randall heads have is the ability to run a 4x12 ext. cab. The RG75 is a perfect example, its75 watts for practice, but when hooked up to a 4x12 it pushes 100. The RG100 pushes 100 as well, and the RG200 pushes 200 watts. A 200w SS 3/4 stack would be pretty loud, plus the advantage of good sound at low volumes for practice. If you wanna get really crazy, you can run more than one amp at the same time with the preamp outs. You can run another combo as a slave, and that can even drive another 4x12. The possiblilites are endless.

argh I love Randall.

Generally speaking I think tube amps sound better but if you do go solid-state I agree, I think Randall would be the way to go.
Quote by fatgraymatt
No, you said that they were really versatile, that their gain was totally sick and that you were blown away them.

"Distortion pedals DO suck compared to the amps natural gain". See, it's vague, cut-and-dried, blanket statements like that that make you sound like yet another guy who's been playing for maybe 9 or 12 months, has tried out 5 or 6 six amps, and now really thinks he knows what's up with gear, sort of the prototypical UG'er. It depends on the pedal and the amp you're talking about, as well as the amp you're comparing them to. I think most people would find the distorted tone you get from a Tonebone Hot British pedal and a Fender '59 Bassman preferable to what you'd get from, say, a Toneblaster or a Marshall MG.

-Vox Valvetronix AD100VT
-Fender Blues Junior
-Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
-Ampeg Super Jet

Any of those would, IMHO, be a better amp for the money. If the threadstarter were to go used, maybe via Ebay, he could get even more bang for his buck. An old Ampeg VT-22 or VT-60, Crate Blue Voodoo120, Traynor YCV50 or a Fender Twin or Hot Rod DeVille, the list goes on and on. Most of these last ones would need a distortion or OD pedal to do anything approaching metal, but there are a large number of great pedals out there that can give you a fantastic high-gain sound with the right amp. Yes I said it, a great metal sound, using a pedal!?! Keep in mind I'm in the US so I don't know alot about what brands are readily available on that side of the pond, but generally speaking I think he'll be happier with a tube (or valve) amp, even if that means relying on a pedal for his heavier sounds.

"I would love to own a guitar even close to 700 bucks", well as I said, I'm an old guy with a halfway decent job and I'm in a band that plays out, it'd be pretty sad if I was playing a Dean EVO into a Peavey Backstage at this stage of the game. I've put in my time playing through crap gear, when I was 18 my rig was an Ibanez Roadstar into a Peavey Renown. If you're still in high school and you have a Gibson LP Studio, I'd say you're doing just fine.

Lastly, what, once you hit 30 you're too old to say words like hairy, sweaty, dangling ballbag? Does ballsack sound more mature?

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
-Vox Valvetronix AD100VT
-Fender Blues Junior
-Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
-Ampeg Super Jet

If you must know I've tried all these amps except the Ampeg and Ashdown(considering how hard they are to find). Those are all bluesy sounding amps that you named. I dont look for bluesy sounds. And if the guy who started the thread is a Metallica fanatic I HIGHLY doubt he's looking for bluesy tones. But I'll admit your right about the distortion pedal part, some cheaper amps do have shitty distortion on them.

Quote by Ready2breakdown
"The only other amp i would desire to get for the price i played for my toneblaster head would be a randall RG200SC. AND THATS IT! The Ibanez is like the second best, but those Randalls are hard to find since they got discontinued."

I even said that Randalls are better than Toneblasters, but somehow you managed to skip over that one. But then you agree with someone else when they said it.

Just because I'm not in my thirties doesnt mean i dont know what a good amp is "supposed" to sound like. I'm always trying to find better tone. But simply because I own an amp that YOU think sucks doesnt mean shit. I could be running some many things through it to make it sound just as good as other shit, and youre not taking that into consideration. Now I know my tone isnt the best, and it never will be, because everyone has their own idea as to what tone is, and how people of a certain genre should only sound a certain way(now thats typical UG members response to stuff). I've never run into a single person on ug that agrees with what i say, so how am I a "typical" member

And dude please dont take any of this stuff to heart. I'm stating my opinions. I got this sense of frustration outta what youre saying. People fight for things they love. Musicians fight over music because they love it. So it's all in good fun for me.
^ the ashdown and windsor aren't bluesy (i know you said you haven't tried the ashdown)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fatgraymatt

-Vox Valvetronix AD100VT
-Fender Blues Junior
-Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
-Ampeg Super Jet

+1

Cept I just got out of high school last year and I got more gear than I dare to say .

And the ToneBlaster just isnt a good sounding/built amp, IMO.
ready2breakdown, at the end of the day, we're both just a couple of idiots arguing over amplifiers on the internet, so no ill will here. And you DID mention the Randall, which I didn't acknowledge. So let's let bygones be bygones. In the words of Ari Gold, "Wanna hug it out, bitch"?

My theory, when trying to get good metal sounds for not much money, is to start off with a good tube amp with a solid clean sound, and beef it up with a pedal or other outboard distortion device. The thing is, most of the best high-gain amps- Mesa's, Engl's, Framus, etc... are pricey.

--Warning: long, boring story/rant ahead. Disregard or risk boredom--

The reason for my theory about this comes from recent personal experience. I spent years as a "tube amp distortion-only" guy and bought a bunch of high-gain amps-- a Dual Rect, Stiletto, Blue Voodoo120, Ampeg VL-1002, JCM2000, Lee Jackson-modded JCM800 and more, finally settling on a Framus Cobra, which I still think is a great metal amp. I owned a Boss GT-3 for effects, and it wouldn't work through the Framus' FX-loop, so I bought a Line 6 PODxtLive. The Cobra has both a monster high-gain sound and great clean, and I liked the FX on the XTL so I thought my perfect rig had been found. Then one day, just for kicks, I downloaded a bunch of user-created patches from the Line 6 website to my XTL and tried them through the Cobra's FX-loop input (bypassing the amp's preamp section). Most sounded like garbage (as I expected them to) but I came across one that floored me. After messing with the programming for a while, that XTL patch run through the Cobra became the most incredible high-gain tone I'd ever had. I spent over an hour A/B'ing that sound with the Cobra's own distorted sound and the XTL-generated sound won hands down. It seemed stupid to own a high-gain head that cost almost $2000 and not even use it's distortion, so I started looking for a clean amp that would make the XTL sound as good as the Cobra did. It took a while but I eventually found the old Ampeg VT-22 that I have now. The previous owner was a tech who did some mods to it and replaced or upgraded all the old wiring, caps, filters, etc... VT-22's are really underrated killer clean-machine amps (no built in distortion on the early-70's models) that are loud as hell and have really versatile EQ's anyway, and this one was as close as you could get to owning a new one. What I found is that it made nearly every amp-model on the XTL sound great (provided certain things on both the XTL and the amp were set correctly), and that original high-gain patch that sounded so good through the Cobra was even better through the Ampeg. So I sold the Framus and have been using the XTL/Ampeg rig for over a year now and my sound has never been this good in my life. With most of the amp-sims, this setup even feels like you'd expect an all-tube amp to, responding well to picking dynamics, cleaning up when the guitar's volume knob is rolled down, the whole 9 yards. In my band I play distorted most of the time and the sound I have now is like Killswitch Engage with the midrange warmth of the first Van Halen album. People always talk about the "sound in their head" and this sounds actually better than that to me. Literally every time I plug into this setup I'm surprised by how amazing it is, and I've never gotten more compliments about my sound from my bandmates, soundguys, audience members, etc... Old Ampeg's are known for their great clean sounds as well as for their volume and sheer power so I bypass the XTL when I want a clean sound.

I'm going on and on about this not to brag about what a Tone God I am but to explain how dumb luck forced me to change my attitude about tube distortion. I still love great high-gain heads like Framus and Engl but I've since met alot of other players who base their sounds on great clean amps like Fenders, old HiWatts, Sunns, etc, and use pedals or other outboard distortion devices to get higher gain, and I've been pretty amazed by what I've heard. There's a guy in a band where I live who has an array of cool distortion and OD pedals (both ToneBone models, a vintage TS9, Fulltone Fulldrive, and a Crowther Hotcake among others) that he runs into various vintage Fenders and he has some of the most amazing sounds I've ever heard. His band plays fairly heavy music too (my band usually opens for them so I get to hear him up close every time) and he's able to get as heavy as any Mesa you've ever heard but with a clarity and warmth that's unbelievable. Anyway, even if you're not talking about vintage amps, there are alot of good possibilities out there, even for heavy music, by basing your sound on a good, simple clean tube amp.
--End rant--
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 27, 2007,
^ that's interesting...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, Kurt, Ready-- never again should we argue. Let's all join hands and sing Kumbaya...
That's really interesting indeed, I'll actually have to thank you a bunch for writing all that down, great read that certainly made me thinking. Mixing a good clean amp with a distortion effect of your choice should give you quite the ability to customize your sound further than with just amp distortion aswell, which is a big plus in my book.
Quote by maxter0
That's really interesting indeed, I'll actually have to thank you a bunch for writing all that down, great read that certainly made me thinking. Mixing a good clean amp with a distortion effect of your choice should give you quite the ability to customize your sound further than with just amp distortion aswell, which is a big plus in my book.

Thanks, but I made it all up. I'm not even in a band, I just spend all day in my room playing Poison songs through a Line 6 Spider II and masturbating.

Just kidding...
Quote by fatgraymatt
Dave, Kurt, Ready-- never again should we argue. Let's all join hands and sing Kumbaya...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im actually glad i bitched for a change. I'm actually glad you shared that information with us. I might check that out. Im actually shocked that a Line 6 pod xt live got you to switch. Thats almost unheard of. But cool none the less. I will probably try what you said(not the hugging and Kumbaya. lol) but I still have yet to find a distortion pedal that i was truly happy with. I still wanna check out those Krank distortous maximous, so ill check out the pods when i get a chance too. Thanks for the story, I actually liked it.
I was actually shocked that the XTL got me to switch as well, I used to absolutely hate modelers. I still wouldn't use the unit straight into a PA but I've been really happy with the results when running it into the right tube amp. The tubes really warm up the sound and take away the digital harshness. I think these guys have the right idea:

http://atomicamps.com/

I tried out one of their 50-watters in a store once with a POD 2.0 and it sounded really good. I think if Line 6 really wanted to get pro and semi-pro guitarists to switch from their Marshalls and Mesa's they'd put out an amp that paired their modeling technology with a good tube power section.