Im gonna buy an amp soon so any imput will help me. Basically, i came across a pretty sweet head, but it is only 5 watts. My question is, if i buy a 200 watt cab will the amp produce 200 watts or 5? I wanna form a band so 5 watts wont really benefit me.

Thanks!
5 watts. The cab can take more or less 200 watts before the speakers blow.
5 watts
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
The cab provides no extra volume to the amp, that should be made clear right away. No cab has a volume control/booster...it is always the amp head that powers the cab, the different sizes of cab determine the tone and things like bass response etc, rather than volume.
5 watts tube through some good speakers should be fine for band practice, and at a gig, you could mic it to get more volume. The number of watts doesn't matter, but different speakers have different sensitivity and can be a lot louder than others. Celestion Vintage 30s are really loud speakers I've heard.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by last_biscuit
The cab provides no extra volume to the amp, that should be made clear right away. No cab has a volume control/booster...it is always the amp head that powers the cab, the different sizes of cab determine the tone and things like bass response etc, rather than volume.

It controls volume too. A 4x12 is louder than a 1x8, because it moves more air.
the 200W just means thats how much it can handle.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by mr_hankey
5 watts. The cab can take more or less 200 watts before the speakers blow.

+1

Quote by last_biscuit

bullshit, speaker efficiency makes a MAJOR difference to volume levels. More so than wattage.

it'll still be the same wattage, but louder.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ it should be ok, if I've understood what you just said.

you're going to hook up your 130 watt head to a 400 watt cab?

that should be fine, just make sure the impedances match up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just as long as the cab rating is the same or higher than the output of the amplifier, you will be okay.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
i am wondering about a subject that sounds similar to this... if i have a 40 watt combo and it has an external speaker jack, how much louder would it be if i used that, because its still only putting out 40 watts, just to two speakers instead of one, right??
^ you'd probably notice it.

depends how sensitive the combo's speaker is compared to the cab's speakers too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
okay... also its a 16 ohm output minimum it says, and i am having trouble finding a 16 ohm cab.
any recomendations?
my ashdown cab is 16 ohms, and i believe alot of marshall cabs are 16 ohms
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
okay just one more question.
i was looking at this cab ( i dont know if its any good yet) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-ST212S-140W-2x12-Guitar-Cabinet?sku=602078
and it says like 16 ohm stereo/8 ohm mono switchable and i dont know what that means. i would like one that is 16 an 8 ohm compatable if thats an option because i know alot of stuff is 8 ohm, so if i ever got a different amp or head i could use the cab with it also. someone please explain.
Quote by tubadude
my ashdown cab is 16 ohms, and i believe alot of marshall cabs are 16 ohms

Orange has a lot of 16 ohm cabs, too.

But I'm interested in this as well. I'd like to find an inexpensive 16 ohm cab to run with my Nano. That's supposed to be it's best fit. A 1 x 15 would be ideal. Put a little variety in my life.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'm not sure, basically. what wattage is your head?

stereo, as I understand it, splits the two speakers, so that'd only handle 60 or 70 watts in stereo (i thought v30's were 60 watts, not 70?).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
right now ive got a peavey xxx 40 watt combo. theres an output in the back that says external speaker minimum 16 ohm. i cant seem to find a 1 or 2 x12 for it.
^ yeah, that's a problem. a lot of 4x12's are 16 ohm.... I'm not well enough up on the electronics side of things to tell you how to wire a 2x12 to make it 16 ohm, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok... thanks for your help. im going to look into if peavey ever made an external cab for the xxx or not.