So I got jury duty in my PO box over winter break (meaning... i was 100 miles away and didnt check it). It's on monday the 22nd....

I need to get out of it, I have enough trouble w/ my packed schedule WITHOUT having to drive to downtown santa barbara to sit for 5+ hours on a jury.

SOoo.. any advice on getting out?

I filled out a deferral form that Ill bring in tomorrow saying I'm a student etc and ask for a 90 day deferral, but is there a better way?

Should I just throw it away and pretend not to have gotten it? (I've heard success cases of this, one has done it for 20 years...)

Turn in the deferral?

Do something at the case?
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Pretend your a racist?
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
hospitalise yourself?

Quote by fronkpies
Pretend your a racist?

or show you're biased towards/against the person
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I dont want to pull the racist one, but I might try to pull bias. "I can tell a guilty man by the look in his eyes..."

But I'd like to avoid even having to go the first day...cause that alone would mean missing 4 classes.

you could get out of college and you don't wanna do it? i'd do it for you if i could
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
if u find out what the case is about then say u had a similar experience

like if the guy is sewing a doctor for bad surgery then say ui went through a similar experience
Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
Do you have any ID from an old home or anything that says you don't live in the county in question?

I had an old Driver's license that I hadn't changed over. Just had to go online and say I wasn't from the county on this form.

Quote by cockzit
This is why I don't vote, f*ck jury duty.

You don't have to be registered to vote to serve on jury duty...
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Dude, just suck it up and GO!!!!! Ok, no many ways to get out, hospitalize yourself, instatutionalize yourself saying your crazy. But if you cant do any of those then just suck it up and go.
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
You should perform your civic duty and stop complaining. If you dont want to contribute to a free and just society you shouldnt be allowed to live in one.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Mail them a letter with a printed copy of your schedule, and circle or highlight the times that conflict with when you need to be there. I did that last spring because they wanted me to do it during exam week - uh, hell no! That'll get you out of it, at least until the semester is over.
Do like in "Runaway Jury", pretend you really have to go to a baseball match, then they'll put you on the jury for sure. Being the charismatic guy that you are, you then accept payments to make the jury swing the desired way, but it then turns out that even though the gun firms bribed you, you go against them, setting a precedent which leads to gun ownership dropping 400%.
Quote by cubedeathk
You should perform your civic duty and stop complaining. If you dont want to contribute to a free and just society you shouldnt be allowed to live in one.

The jury duty "system" is utterly broken.

They send me a form while I'm NOT AVAILABLE expecting me to report a week after I've received it.

Unlike someone who works and can receive compensation from employer, I DONT GET SHIT! You know what I get? Depending on the length of the case, I get to either fail all my classes or at least lose a letter grade or so. That's bullshit.

I am EAGER to serve, I really want to see what it's like to be a juror...but NOT WHILE I'M AT SCHOOL. Unfortunately, their dumbass system has a maximum deferral of 90 days, which wont make it to Summer break, where I would have MORE than enough time to serve.

So cut the condescending bullshit, douchebag.

To the others: good advice so far... I have the deferral slip filled out with my schedule attached... I guess that's my only real option right now. Or should I ignore it?

Quote by cubedeathk

If he wants to get the best path in life that he can he can't afford to miss important days of education to hear some random lawyer bitching about stuff that he doesn't give a crap about.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
If you wanted to send a letter, it's about 3 weeks too late. But the only thing you can do is go to the courthouse tomorra and tell the judge about your schedule conflict. Or just carry a gun into the courthouse.
Have you ever went to put on a pair of underwear, but there weren't any, so you started runnin around the house flailin your arms while nude?
Quote by shav0r
Do like in "Runaway Jury", pretend you really have to go to a baseball match, then they'll put you on the jury for sure. Being the charismatic guy that you are, you then accept payments to make the jury swing the desired way, but it then turns out that even though the gun firms bribed you, you go against them, setting a precedent which leads to gun ownership dropping 400%.

your an idiot... the guy thinks hes smart because he saw a movie. Id turn in the deferrel, get yours postponed. Find out when you actually have to serve, and attempt to work your schedule around it.
Quote by jb_designs

You don't have to be registered to vote to serve on jury duty...

you do in most states, they pick jurors at random by going through voter registration lists. I dont know how they do it for federal court.

Just go into court dressed like a homeless person, the judge will get pissed and tell you to leave, It worked for me. Or do jury duty, and maybe youll be lucky enough to get bribed by the mafia or something.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by TrigFunction
your an idiot... the guy thinks hes smart because he saw a movie. Id turn in the deferrel, get yours postponed. Find out when you actually have to serve, and attempt to work your schedule around it.

um....I think you see he's joking...nothing can drop 400%
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
Do it the Homer Simpson way.

"The trick is you say you're prejudiced against all races."
Quote by Slash Jr.
Forgive me for asking this but what is a dirty sanchez??

Quote by Teh_Guitarer
bahahahahahahahaha nice find ForbiddenDonut. you're my man...
My Dad got out of it because he was working in the oil business, at the time of the oil crisis.

Owned.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
when you're all sitting around and they're going to select you sit there reading the Daily Mail or some other newspaper with strongly subjective views and they will avoid picking you. i wouldn't recommend walking around and telling people your racist.

"hi, my names john, i'm a student and i hate all foreigners" not a great conversation starter.

when i was in court (on work experience) a guy in the jury got off cos the trial ran a day late and he had wimbledon tickets on the day it spilled over onto. the judge let him go which i thought was quite nice.

you could also kill yourself before it but that has the downside of ending in terminated life and it could be messy.
Quote by Bronek
um....I think you see he's joking...nothing can drop 400%

yes it can. thus debt.

for example, i could have £200 shares and they drop 400%, therefore those shares are now worth -£800
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
say "you can't afford it" (money wise) they can't argue with that
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by IndieMetalhead
yes it can. thus debt.

for example, i could have £200 shares and they drop 400%, therefore those shares are now worth -£800

...awesome math!

and would your professors not let you make the shit up? ask a fellow student to record the lecture or whatever.
Stand up and say "Hi,Im Xinlitik.Im 18 and I am a level 32 Paladin on WoW and I want to be a astronoaut when I grow up"

And what do you know you beat the system.
say u have A.D.D my uncle did it, it works...
Quote by guitarman015
Dude, that was funny
BTW +1,000,000,000 Cool points for daf00l
My Calc teacher spent an entire class explaining ways to get out of jury duty.

What he did was he was seated in front of the lawyers and the accused man (he shot at cops for about 20 minutes unloading several clips). So my teacher sits down looks at the guy and says there is no way I'm not pleading guilty and they let him go.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
MY sister (25 at the time) was asked to go to jury duty and she just said she had a mental disability. also you could be racist or biast. tell them "Is the guy black, chinese, asian, or anything but white?" i can guarantee you youll not here from them past the first day. HA!
Whats deferall?

Sorry for bring 73h nubs70rz. :p
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
cant you just say you know the guy?
Quote by Cameronrobson
It's a bat, a cyclops and an owl riding a pair of bicycles. Idiot.
Tell them you need to now what the sentence would be. They won't tell you if I'm correct. Then tell them you could never send a man to prison, or sentence them to death.
epic7734
only give a legitimate excuse. if you lie about something, and they find out, you'll be fined and possibly sent to jail for like 10 days or something like that.

i had to go about a month ago, and i jut told them i couldnt afford to miss 1-2 weeks of school, plus i told them i had finals coming up, which was true. they let me leave after the first day.
Quote by magicninja_
Yeah they can you get paid for it.

but only a few dollars a day. no where near the amount you could make at your job.

they let quite a few people leave when i was called for jury duty, just because their employer didnt compensate for them missing work, and they couldnt afford to lose that much money.
You should go there with a little afro wig and a brown suit and act all wacky like Monk and use every possible thing as a clue to the crime no matter how ridiculous