Hi guys after a lot of thought I have finally opted out two guitars from which to choose.I really love gibson les pauls but the I would only exceed my budget for an sg one like this http://www.thomann.de/gr/gibson_sgstd.htm.Is it versatile enough to play altern rock to guns n roses?It has a metal guitar reputation and I don't know...The other one is this epi les paul custom http://www.thomann.de/gr/epiphone_lp_custom_emg_eb_ltd.htm

I need your help.Thanks
Whats your budget? I guarentee the Agile AL-3000 with the maple cap + new pickups will SMOKE any Epiphone.
well, the sg's quite similar to the les paul anyway. it just has more of a tougher sound.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
SG's are overrated. Washburn makes a better guitar out of the same types of wood for cheaper.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
My budget is around 1000$(euros if U like).I would only stretch it to 1200+ for a gibson.I am into a more altern style sth like cure,placebo,grunge stuff,peppers and so the story goes.
Gibson SGs are great. Really, colourful seems to be a good word to describe it, sound. Maybe not be as pretty as the les paul one, but alot more versatile and more characther. I own a Les Paul, and I would say that SGs sound is alot more mouldable than a Les Paul.
I really like the mysticism of an sg's look but I find les pauls more pleasing to the eye.Just visually talking...
musically i would definitely take an SG, itll do what you want it too and to me it sounds more raw than the LP, which i really like about it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you could get a Les Paul studio for $1000

the SG is actually quite different from the Les Paul. SG's are much brighter and crunchier in terms of tone. SGs have high fret access so it may seem like the neck sticks out a lot more than on a Les Paul, which can be awkward at first. Also, the SG is much lighter in weight. It is by no means a bad guitar, just very different in terms of both tone and feel. You should really try them both out first to see which style you like better.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
If you're looking at an SG-ish guitar, I'd definitely give the Schecter S1 a look. Buddy's got one, it's pretty sweet.
Playing a Gibson SG through a Marshall amp is about as Rock'N'Roll as you can get!
Quote by jhardcore
Playing a Gibson SG through a Marshall amp is about as Rock'N'Roll as you can get!

That's exactly my plan!Though I am a bit worried about having the same tastes with a guy who not only likes Green Day but also is proud of this!(lol)
"IBANEZ VALBEE

Ibanez ValBee E-Guitar Combo,all tube, 5 Watt,with each 1x 6L6GC and 12AX7 Tube, active EQ´s, RControll for Gain - Bass - Middle - Treble - Presence - Volumen, Output forHeadphone/Line out, Send and return, Switch for Standbye and Boost, Valve Powered output for Tube Distortion, High Gain Distortion for Heavy-Rock-Guitarplayers"

If I plug an sg into this amp,how would that sound?Is it any near my tastes?(Nirvana,Rhcp,Muse,Placebo,indie music etc)
The best way I would describe SGs, owning a cheapie and playing many, is as a bite from a mad dog.

Whereas a LP is all smooth and subtle, like "Hear how smoth and thick I am, listen to my awesome with that overdrive....put on the hi gain...you know you want to...."

An SG will just grab you by the balls and go "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!!!"

Because SGs are for real rock No messin' around with an SG. Go listen to AC/DC and see.
Quote by Vermintide
Whereas a LP is all smooth and subtle, like "Hear how smoth and thick I am, listen to my awesome with that overdrive....put on the hi gain...you know you want to...."

An SG will just grab you by the balls and go "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!!!"
LMAO, that's so awesome
ok.... the title is versatility....

Angus Young used one, and Eric Clapton used one to play blues so....

Honestly it is a versatile guitar, Great fret access, lighter than a LP, worst case maybe switch out one pickup, and you've got a beast.
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by Rock Savior
ok.... the title is versatility....

Angus Young used one, and Eric Clapton used one to play blues so....

Honestly it is a versatile guitar, Great fret access, lighter than a LP, worst case maybe switch out one pickup, and you've got a beast.

Indeed, but they always seem to have that snarly tone to them. I hear the P90 loaded ones are pretty awesome, more versatile. Anyone use one or tried one? I've heard you get a really unique sinlge coil/humbucker tone out of them.
I've never tried a p90, but single coils (tapped buckers) is great... It's hard to describe but it's sorta like a strat only warmer (mahogany instead of alder). Combine that with fret access...it's real nice.
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.