Looking for a 4x12 cabinet to compliment a 1978 Marshall JMP. I use a Rickenbacker 330, the tones with the Rickenbacker and the JMP are the best I've ever heard. Was playing on a 1960A Marshall cab when I was testing it out, though I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for cabinets as I'm not sure what to go with, though I'm thinking the 1960AV (Vintage 30s) Marshall 4x12. I play alternative, indie, and experimental type stuff, of course a little rock as well.
marshall is good, but you can get an avatar 4x12 (or even a 2x12) for a lot less, and it still has vintage 30s.

www.avatar.com
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
get a cab with greenbacks or with REAL vintage speakers, like a marshall '70 cab.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Quote by tubab0y
marshall is good, but you can get an avatar 4x12 (or even a 2x12) for a lot less, and it still has vintage 30s.

www.avatar.com

Found http://www.avatarspeakers.com

Quote by Ibzman
get a cab with greenbacks or with REAL vintage speakers, like a marshall '70 cab.

Greenbacks only add up to 100w.
yeah a 1960 series marshall cab will definitely do it justice. esp w/vintage 30s though actually i prefer greenbacks over V30s and what wattage is your head?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah a 1960 series marshall cab will definitely do it justice. esp w/vintage 30s though actually i prefer greenbacks over V30s and what wattage is your head?

50w. Was the best amp they had in the store. (guitarcenter)
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, id go for a 1960 cab with greenbacks, that will fucking scream.

Is there a modern day model that comes with greenbacks?
hmm in not sure, but you could easily buy a used one and throw some greenback in it. or avatar might make one with greenbacks.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
hmm in not sure, but you could easily buy a used one and throw some greenback in it. or avatar might make one with greenbacks.

Yeah, saw in a custom option on avatar for greenbacks, vintage 30s and a lot more. The only problem I have with the greenbacks is the 25w rather than the 75w of the Celestians.
Quote by fcpremix1
Yeah, saw in a custom option on avatar for greenbacks, vintage 30s and a lot more. The only problem I have with the greenbacks is the 25w rather than the 75w of the Celestians.

for a 50 watt head 4 25 watt speakers would be much better IMO because youll actually be able to get speaker breakup if you want it.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
for a 50 watt head 4 25 watt speakers would be much better IMO because youll actually be able to get speaker breakup if you want it.

Speaker breakup?
yeah its kind of a fuzz sound, its basically what fuzz pedals try to emulate.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah its kind of a fuzz sound, its basically what fuzz pedals try to emulate.

I guess I'm confused, never heard of speaker breakup, though it sounds like with greenbacks I will get it, but its a fuzz that pedals try and get rid of?
no its what a fuzz pedal tries to sound like, and you shouldnt have too much of a problem controlling it with a 50 watt amp.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no its what a fuzz pedal tries to sound like, and you shouldnt have too much of a problem controlling it with a 50 watt amp.

Ohh, emulate, not eliminate. Got it. Would there be a way to mix and match speakers? Not sure how 100w will do with a few of the shows I've played before.
you only have 50 watts of power, the wattage of your speakers has very little effect on volume (and actually lower rated speakers tend to be a little louder.) and 50 watts of tube power through a 4x12 will be very very loud.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you only have 50 watts of power, the wattage of your speakers has very little effect on volume (and actually lower rated speakers tend to be a little louder.) and 50 watts of tube power through a 4x12 will be very very loud.

You can probably tell I'm new to heads and cabs, been using a combo for a while.

As of right now, I'm considering the Avatar custom G412 4x12 (green tolex, wheat grille) with 4 greenbacks. Though, the G412 vintage has the two top speakers angled so they're pointed more towards the player, a huge advantage?
it disperses the sound a little better and helps eliminate some phase cancellation but i wouldnt call it a huge advantage.

Last.fm
I will check my JMP, but is it safe to assume you'd do an 8 ohm hookup for the single cab? And with two cabs you'd switch the cabs to 16 ohm?
iyeah i think thats right, i always get impedance matching with two cabs kinda screwed up. but i think that two 16 ohm cabs have 8 ohms impednace when used together and two 8 ohm cabs have 4.

Last.fm
When you use two cabs of the same ohmage, the impedance of the cab setup halves.

So two 8 ohms=4 ohms total.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Well with my 50w head I'd have the one cab set to mono, with two cabs I'd set it to stereo, there aren't any other options.

I had to post again because I'm still confused about the impedance/ohm. The 50w head has 2 output jacks (obviously for two cabs). What ohm setting should I use for one cab? And two cabs?

Everyone has suggested greenbacks, though I went to musiciansfriend.com and greenbacks can come in either 16 or 8 ohms, if they came in the avatar cabinets, how would I know which ohm setting they are, and if that was what I needed?