Page 1 of 3
hes probably one of the most disputed over guitarists ever, so what do you think?

i think hes an incredible guitar player with alot of feeling and emotion put in his playing. A lot of people call him overated as a player, i think hes only overated by people who dont really listen to his guitar playing but instead think hes awesome just because he looks like a badass and because of what others tell them.

no flaming either, everyone can have an opinion
"There are two wolves fighting inside all of us - the wolf of fear and hate, and the wolf of love and peace." The grandson listened, then looked up at his grandfather and asked, "Which one will win?", The grandfather replied, "the one we feed".
He's the guy that made me wanna play guitar in the first place
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
slash is pretty good.

i enjoyed that VW ad that he was in.
and before you start flaming it because it was a first act guitar,
it was a CUSTOM first act guitar, and its quality is up there with high end gibsons.
slash is one guitarist that nobody else can ever sound like even if they play his songs note for note.
Quote by Draken
my opinion is this thread belongs in Bands and artists.

I agree with this man.

On thread topic: I hate him. Don't flame me, because I don't really care about your arguments on "feeling."
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Yes, he does alot of feeling and emotion and he can make pentatonic sound like something new.
I think he's awesome and he was the 3rd reason for me wanting to play guitar right behind Jimmy Page and my uncle.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
imo, he is the greatest guitar player to ever live... he's not the fastest or the most versatile when it comes to soloing, mostly used pentatonics, but he's just awesome, theres no way to describe it
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
ive seen him play some great stuff, then ive seen him bring back hendrix only to kill him seconds later

he has good points and bad points, like most other guitarists.

he's far from the best but he isnt exactly the worst either
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
holy crap are u all serious? best guitar player to ever live? how bout u all go listen to some buckethead, or between the buried and me. thats some good guitar. i mean the opening riff of the song alaska would destroy slash. what the hell is wrong with all of u.
Quote by MachineHeart
holy crap are u all serious? best guitar player to ever live? how bout u all go listen to some buckethead, or between the buried and me. thats some good guitar. i mean the opening riff of the song alaska would destroy slash. what the hell is wrong with all of u.

slash is much more musical than either of those.
^AKedit: Go listen to some Steve Vai or Opeth if you want to argue musical inclination.

Well, honestly, I'm not a GNR/VR fan. Their music doesn't do anything for me. Hes a decent guitarist in his own right and definitely influential, but as far as his playing skills, he is average at best. I respect him for his influence on the masses, but not as an accomplished musician.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Last edited by AK Guitarist at Jan 18, 2007,
One day I might listen to Slash, if he ever is part of a decent band

I can't stand Guns and Roses. I don't even know what Slash's playing sounds like because every time I hear Axl Rose's voice, it is torture for my ears, and I turn it off.

Velvet Revolver was terrible
Slash is THE reason i started to play guitar, all the people that say hes overated, listen to him, he may not be the fastest, may only use one scale most of the time, but the emotion he puts into his playing makes those things void, also, if you listen to him you'd realise that speed isn't everything, hes a blues guitarist. and puts all the things he knows to use when he plays.
Slash owns all guitarists
[/spam]

Freeze...WTF?
Member #1 of the I Poker club. PM Highvoltage45 to join.
Quote by 67_67
He's the guy that made me wanna play guitar in the first place

same here, after the first time i listened to appetite for destruction. the i got dissapointed cause i heard axl kicked him out. im going to the dissapointment islands.
He's OK. Dont like Guns much, and I prefer their acoustic stuff anyway.
VR are just dire.

Izzy Stradlin' has the best post-Guns music of any of them.
Slash is a lyrical player. Unlike a lot of guitar players who play "correctly", Slash appeals even to those that don't play guitar. Not my favorite, but most definitely Top 5.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
Tell her you want to sodomize her with a chainsaw
Quote by FrenchyFungus
OMFG, an opinion.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNN!
Quote by schecter_guy
slash is much more musical than either of those.

can someone say ignorance?

thats the problem with ug, all these ****ing wanna bees just starting to play guitar with ther slash, and ther jimmy page. not sayin these dudes are bad, but they shouldnt be poster children for guitar gods.
Quote by MachineHeart
Ho1lY crap? r U teh serio0s?

OMG leik lisen to mah bandz0rz teh R leike da shredz0rZ. S1ashz R teh sux lol!!!

Fixed.

Quote by MachineHeart

Last edited by Hells_Bell at Jan 18, 2007,
Quote by AK Guitarist
^AKedit: Go listen to some Steve Vai or Opeth if you want to argue musical inclination.

Well, honestly, I'm not a GNR/VR fan. Their music doesn't do anything for me. Hes a decent guitarist in his own right and definitely influential, but as far as his playing skills, he is average at best. I respect him for his influence on the masses, but not as an accomplished musician.

Agreed 100%.
Don't You Talk to Billy Idol That Way.

Gear:
Epiphone Limited Ed. G-400 W/ Maestro Trem
Washburn WI14 Idol Series
Jasmine ES-31 Acoustic-Electric
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by MachineHeart

thats the problem with ug, all these ****ing wanna bees just starting to play guitar with ther slash, and ther jimmy page. not sayin these dudes are bad, but they shouldnt be poster children for guitar gods.

Well, then. Who who would be? Without people like them, the guitar of today wouldn't be here! In fact, we would probably just now be getting around to the music of the 1950s! Also, if you were to ask any one of your "guitar heroes" who influenced them, you could trace it all the way back to Page, Hendrix, and Clapton. They are not "guitar gods" for their speed or technique, but for their ability to "speak" with the guitar and their inspiration to the guitarists of today! And if that alone doesn't make them guitar gods, then there is no such thing!
Quote by WillPlayForFood
Tell her you want to sodomize her with a chainsaw
Quote by FrenchyFungus
OMFG, an opinion.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNN!
Quote by nashville_star
Well, then. Who who would be? Without people like them, the guitar of today wouldn't be here! In fact, we would probably just now be getting around to the music of the 1950s! Also, if you were to ask any one of your "guitar heroes" who influenced them, you could trace it all the way back to Page, Hendrix, and Clapton. They are not "guitar gods" for their speed or technique, but for their ability to "speak" with the guitar and their inspiration to the guitarists of today! And if that alone doesn't make them guitar gods, then there is no such thing!

+1
Personally I think Slash is the best. His tone is unmatched and his solos stand out from the rest. While it seems like everyone is playing lightning fast solos, Slash plays more melodic solos. Sure there are instances inwhich his solos are fast, but it's not all the time. I'm not trying to dismiss any other great guitarist out there it's just that Slash is one of my favorites.
Quote by J Remmy Jerms
Personally I think Slash is the best. His tone is unmatched and his solos stand out from the rest. While it seems like everyone is playing lightning fast solos, Slash plays more melodic solos. Sure there are instances inwhich his solos are fast, but it's not all the time. I'm not trying to dismiss any other great guitarist out there it's just that Slash is one of my favorites.

pretty much said it all right there
VAN HALEN - March 13 at the Izod

Quote by xchiefx
What kind of idiot mows the street
Slash is awesome and I always have to laugh when people slag him off on this site, they wish they could play like Slash but they can't so they rag on him
if you can't be a good example
be a bad warning

Quote by aequitasveritas
lol, so i got a boner this one time and i was watching tv, so i decided to hump the little crack between the two cushions of the couch. yeah.

www.free-game-downloads.mosw.com
i hate the last solo in November Rain. Doesn't bend to the right pitch. its just maybe a Hz or less but its still really annoying.

he's okay. i think the best way to describe him is "Creative" i mean he had some good sounding riffs. Sweet Child O' Mine from a joke??? that's what i call creative.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
No, he's not the fastest or most technically adept player ever. The thing is though, NOBODY sounds like Slash. Nobody will ever play like Slash plays and there is something to be said for that. He's in the same group as guitarists like Clapton, Hendrix, Paige. That's not an all inclusive list and they are not necessarily the greatest guitarists ever technically speaking, but they are all unique and influential guitarists in their own way. I'll take that over some 2000 bpm shredding any day.

Edit: Also, the solos in Sweet Child and at the end of November Rain are absolutely amazing.
I love him. He was when of the most influential guitarists to me when I was learning guitar, and he still influences me now. He may not be the best, but he's still incredible.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by pr0pedestrian
No, he's not the fastest or most technically adept player ever. The thing is though, NOBODY sounds like Slash. Nobody will ever play like Slash plays and there is something to be said for that. He's in the same group as guitarists like Clapton, Hendrix, Paige. That's not an all inclusive list and they are not necessarily the greatest guitarists ever technically speaking, but they are all unique and influential guitarists in their own way. I'll take that over some 2000 bpm shredding any day.

Edit: Also, the solos in Sweet Child and at the end of November Rain are absolutely amazing.

Fucking Word

Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
His playing makes me feel nothing.

That's a shame, I feel sorry for you
if you can't be a good example
be a bad warning

Quote by aequitasveritas
lol, so i got a boner this one time and i was watching tv, so i decided to hump the little crack between the two cushions of the couch. yeah.

www.free-game-downloads.mosw.com
Last edited by Gummy Balls at May 27, 2007,
Quote by pr0pedestrian
. I'll take that over some 2000 bpm shredding any day.

ya dood i no... liek no emoshun or feeling.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Page 1 of 3