Right, so I'm thinking about getting my first acoustic guitar. I've been playing electric for about 7-ish months, so I'm not a total noob.

Anyways, my guitar teacher recommended the Yamaha FG730S. I like the color choice and the 20$ price difference on the FG720S, however. But I have no idea how the differences in wood affect the sound, so could somebody please explain how the FG720S would sound different than the FG730S?

FG730S: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_yamaha_fg730s_solid_top_acoustic_guitar?full_sku=103114294

FG720S: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_yamaha_fg720s_acoustic_guitar?full_sku=519168%2e001

Thanks alot,
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

DEFINITELY go for the FG730S. Are you sure it's a $20 price difference between the two? Last time I checked its a $100 difference. Either way, definitely save up for the 730. I've played both and the sound difference is pretty significant. If you're really up to it you could even go for the FG750S, which is another $100 more expensive than the 730.
I'm the proud owner of a 730s. Check out the review on this very site... I could not be happier.

And the difference between the two is outstanding. The 720 has nato back and sides, versus the vastly superior rosewood back/sides on the 730. Such a warmer, rounder tone, the quality of the binding and fretwork is much higher, sturdier built in general and the spruce they use for the top looks absolutely stunning on the 730.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I have a 730S and love it - have not played the 720, so I defer to those that have played both as to how they differ in sound. Question on the Rosewood though - I don't think the sides and back are solid rosewood, but laminated on (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) - in that case, how much would the Rosewood truly affect the sound? Isn't it pretty much cosmetic?

That said, the rosewood is much prettier, and I think that alone makes it worth the extra $20.
Both are good.
Get one of each.

OR

Just go play both and try to decide if you can justify the extra money on the FG730S.
In general it is always better to spend more. But as a first acoustic, you don't need to spend too much, especially considering that with both guitars you will want to upgrade sooner or later if you continue to play
If he difference is only $20, you should take the FG730S. That's not alot for a better sound and a better look. The FG730S has an abalone rosette, headstock binding and the rosewood sides and back. FG720S has more color options (Black, Brown Sunburst, Dusk Sun Red, Ocean Blueburst) but in my eyes the natural finish looks much better. I own the FG730S, but I haven't tried the FG720S so I don't know how much difference there is in the tone.
The FG720S is "discounted" at $279. The FG730S is $299. Eastern mahogany vs rosewood, both laminated back & sides. The $20. difference is strange. I have both sitting in my living room right now. The 720 is new; the 730 is a perfect condition 2000 model, so by all rights the aged 730 should sound much better. Not so! I was going to sell the 720, but IT sounds much better. More of everything - bass, volume, fuller sound. The much quieter 730 is a little warmer, but much thinner sound. Makes no sense. The 730 has been set up, so the neck is like buttah, but otherwise, the necks are identical. All other dimensions are identical. Both made in China. The 730 is definitely prettier with it's extra bindings and rosewood - but... what can I say? I can't bring myself to throw away the sound for the flash.
{Gotta add: the 730 serial number indicates it was made in Sep 2000, but the label sez "Hangzhou" - which apparently opened in Nov 2003. So..... I'm guessing the serial number chart is wrong, not the plant - ha}
Last edited by Greasyjon at Apr 6, 2014,
Quote by Greasyjon
The FG720S is "discounted" at $279. The FG730S is $299. Eastern mahogany vs rosewood, both laminated back & sides. The $20. difference is strange. I have both sitting in my living room right now. The 720 is new; the 730 is a perfect condition 2000 model, so by all rights the aged 730 should sound much better. Not so! I was going to sell the 720, but IT sounds much better. More of everything - bass, volume, fuller sound. The much quieter 730 is a little warmer, but much thinner sound. Makes no sense. The 730 has been set up, so the neck is like buttah, but otherwise, the necks are identical. All other dimensions are identical. Both made in China. The 730 is definitely prettier with it's extra bindings and rosewood - but... what can I say? I can't bring myself to throw the sound away for the flash.

That was a huge necro O_O 7 years?
So I texted Yamaha - and wow! one day response. Nothing matches. The 730 is a 2009. They're better at guitars than paperwork.
FU: gave my son a blind test to pick the one to replace his Fender (who allowed them to make acoustics), and he immediately picked the 720 - pun intended.