Hey. I can play my own solos, which are usually crazy as hell and go all over the fretboard, but its difficult to play a bands solo. And no I don't wank when I play. I plan out what I'm playing and sometimes play slower melodic stuff, so...whats the deal?
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
What do you mean you cant play others' stuff? You need to practise them! I dont think even a professional can just listen to someone's solo and start playing it right away! Everyone needs to practise! Sorry, not clear what you meant.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
Its all good dude. Thanks.
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Adopt someone else's style, like Steve Vai's, then begin yo stray from it into something that sounds more like you, and there you go, you now sound unique and so do your solos.

BC Rich Warlock
Peavey Rage 108 Trans-Tube Practice Amp
Boss ME-50 Multi-Effect Processor
Yamaha PSR-273 Keyboard
Errm...it's easier to play your own stuff, because when you write it, you unconsciously take into account how you play and what kind of techniques you can utilise, plus you always play stuff no faster than you can manage that particular idea, and usually you are familiar with the ideas....with other bands' songs their guitarists feel that way about the songs, but it's harder for other guitarists to emulate because they aren't actually that guitarist and don't think identically or have the same ability on guitar etc.
That'll be hard considering the guy can't play anything from the other bands, how do you expect someone with no musical training (assumed) to pick up a guitar and learn theory then just start playing their own stuff without ever having written any previous pieces of music (assumed.) Valid point though.

BC Rich Warlock
Yamaha PSR-273 Keyboard
Quote by last_biscuit
Errm...it's easier to play your own stuff, because when you write it, you unconsciously take into account how you play and what kind of techniques you can utilise, plus you always play stuff no faster than you can manage that particular idea, and usually you are familiar with the ideas....with other bands' songs their guitarists feel that way about the songs, but it's harder for other guitarists to emulate because they aren't actually that guitarist and don't think identically or have the same ability on guitar etc.

You're words of wisdom and you retarded ass name, make me happy.

I know what you're talking about. You should learn others' solos though to expand your abilities.
We're only strays.
Probably cause its your own stuff, your own style, and your very used to it. When you go to play something else, it seems strange and foreign because it isn't your style.
Quote by zwart_gitaar
You're words of wisdom and you retarded ass name, make me happy.

Lol name is from an old band as a kid... friend's dad chose it cos 'everyone wants the last biscuit...' or somethin like that
Dude...H.E H.A.S N.O S.T.Y.L.E., hence why he's here. How can you have a style when you can't play anything? Well, anything that sounds good (no offence)

BC Rich Warlock
Yamaha PSR-273 Keyboard
Hey. I'm not bragging dude, but what I play sounds good. Its just that I lack the ability to play other solos.

^^^ shut up

all because he cant play others stuff doesnt mean he has no style

your problem may be the fact that everyone plays uniquely and that you can never fully copy another guitarists solos as you dont have thier fingers and mind !

try stuff like power tab and guitar pro that shows you notes while they're being played giving you a better idea of whats going on

listen to the song over and over and you will eventually hear what it is the guitarist is doing
Dude its not big deal i am the same way so what you do is sit down and dont learn the other person's solo thats just ripping them off and hurting yourself, take a couple of KEY licks the stuff that sticks out or maybe some new style you've never seen before and then you take those licks and base your own solo around it its as simple as that
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
What do you find difficult about playing someone else's solo?

I have the same problem and even on relatively simple solos such as Paranoid.
The reason is not technical ability, but because I can never get the rhythm exactly right.
And the reason is because I don't spend enough time listening to the solos.
On the other hand, you might not need to get the rhythm exactly right and solos are often improvised live and don't have to be note perfect.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Ok well, i never mentioned it before because i can't quite explain this, but say you were in a covers band/were covering a song for something at school or a gig...i discovered this while learning the pieces for my Grade 8 Rockschool Performance exam...before even starting a song, try to clear your mind of anything you might add to the song if you had written it...try to basically ignore your instincts you hear in your mind when you listen to or play the song. Think about the song, and try to fgure out what emotions it is supposed to convey, and what kind of urgency or desperation, or calmness the piece has, not just tempo-wise, but how long the notes sustain *is it staccato or does it have long phrases with a few, held notes*.
Then try and imagine what the possible things the composer was trying to convey through the choice of notes, and the sounds they create with the notes...basically just try to imagine you were watching the composer play it and learning every nuance of the song.
Then as you start the song, try and keep the feeling and emotion of the song stuck in your head, and keep feeling it the best you can.
In short...try to 'get into the mind of' the composer/guitarist. And just lock to the feel of the song and let your fingers and subconscious thought control what you play. You will find this brings you alot closer to the original song, and also helps you to understand the rhythms and overlapping phrases etc.
Sorry i can't explain it better.