hi im moderaltly new to the care of electric basses
lately theres been some weird stalagtite (the ones that hang down) stuff growing from my strings
i precieve it to be some kind of dead skin? or oil? because when i rub it, it comes right off
just FYI i do slide alot on the strings, so maybe thats why
can anyone help me with this disgusting gunk? thanks !
also theres some weird **** on my fretboard too
like in between the small grooves of the wood and stuck on the sides of the fretboard
any ideas on that too?
it seems like when i rub that it comes off too
thanks again ^_^
its normal. i get it all the time. i think its from the sweat on your hands and either the dead skin or random dust on the guitar mixing and building up on the strings
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
Get youself some string cleaner and fretboard cleaner/conditioner. Take your strings off, clean the fretboard, and then put new strings on. See if that makes any difference. If it continues, use the string cleaner on the new strings as often as necessary.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
kay thanks guys ^_^
i thoguht it was about time i stopped sliding so much anyways
why would u stop sliding???
its just rust... u can wipe it off with anything like tissue!?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well i slide overly much
i guess im just lazy
my index finger has no more feeling on the left side becuase i slid so much
Quote by yayboogers
well i slide overly much
i guess im just lazy
my index finger has no more feeling on the left side becuase i slid so much

Play bass long enough you lose feeling over all the fingertips If sliding is your style, then slide, it sounds cool anyways.

As for the gunk, it happens, just wipe it off, you'll probably need to get new strings soon too just because the buildup dulls the tone.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
^+1

Wash your hands properly with soap before you play and make sure you dry them well. This will remove dead skin and and grime and grease that your fingers accumulate throughout the day. This will also greatly improve the life of your strings.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by -February-Star-
^+1

Wash your hands properly with soap before you play and make sure you dry them well. This will remove dead skin and and grime and grease that your fingers accumulate throughout the day. This will also greatly improve the life of your strings.

And wipe down your strings and neck after you play. It WILL extend the life of your strings and its just good bass maintenance procedure.