I'm pretty much near prefect with most techniques (alt. picking, hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, harmonics, bends, etc), but I'm having a little trouble keeping an improvised solo in the right key.

Let's say a chord progession with the chords A, D, and E is being played (power chords). If I want to improvise in the key of A (well, A pentatonic. I don't know, I think that makes it the key of Am? Sorry, I'm not teh l33t hax0r at theory), does that mean I have to stay in the A pentatonic scale for the WHOLE ENTIRE TIME? Today, I was improvising a bit to those chords, and when D was being strummed, I switched over to the D pentatonic scale, and to me, it actually sounded a LOT better. Then when A came back, I switched back to A pentatonic. Is this any right?

Can anyone clear this up for me? A bit confusing
If you can answer my question, I'll give you a big explanation of why this stuff works..

What do you mean by A Pentatonic: The A minor pentatonic or the A Major pentatonic?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
The chords playing are A5, D5 and E5. The notes in those chords are A E (from A5), D A (from D5) and E B (from E5). Put those in order and you have A B D E. This gives you lots of options on what to choose for a scale, I will not go into this, but trust me on that.

The reason why you pick A Minor pentatonic is probably because the A5-D5-E5 is a i-iv-v progression in the key of Aminor. A Minor Pentatonic is derived from A Minor, as seen below.

1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 
A minor:            A B  C D E  F  G
A minor pentatonic: A    C D E     G
                    1   b3 4 5    b7

Do you see that the minor pentatonic is just the minor scale, but without the 2 and b6? Those are left out because they create dissonance with some/most of the chords. For instance: Try holding an F over A5 or E5. Or try holding the B over A5 or D5. I guess you wouldn't really like the sound of it. This is a bit dumbed down, but you get the idea.

When the D5 is played, you switch to D Minor Pentatonic. Why is that? You were already playing in the key of A Minor, and D Minor pentatonic is in that key, as seen below.

1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 
D minor pentatonic: A    C D    F  G
                    5   b7 1   b3  4

As seen, you leave out some notes of the A Minor scale to avoid the dissonance. To be fairly honest, you leave out the B and E. Those are the 2 and 6 of the D5 chord. If you compare this to the previous pentatonic (A minor pentatonic) you see that we left out the 2 (B) and b6 (F) of A5 out.

The same thing happens when you use E minor pentatonic over E5.

1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 
E minor pentatonic: A B    D E     G
                    4 5   b7 1    b3

In this case, the C and F got left out. They create the most dissonance with the E5 chord, seeing as they are the b2 and b6 of E5.

Like I said, I dumbed the thing down a bit. Dissonance can be used very nicely to make sweet sounding phrases. However, you have to learn how to use it. Just switching minor pentatonics is a simple way to work around it.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by RoboRobot
does that mean I have to stay in the A pentatonic scale for the WHOLE ENTIRE TIME? Today, I was improvising a bit to those chords, and when D was being strummed, I switched over to the D pentatonic scale, and to me, it actually sounded a LOT better. Then when A came back, I switched back to A pentatonic. Is this any right?

Of course you don't HAVE to stay in ANY scale. All depends on how you want it
to sound. D pent minor. Hm. Well, I'm not sure that's a substitution I'd make, but
it differs from A pent minor by only 1 note. There's lots of things you can play over
that progression.
First of all, do you know any other scales other than A min Pentatonic?
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Thanks, elvenkindje, cleared a few things up for me. And to modestmouse9191, of course I know more scales, I was just using Amin Pentatonic as an example.
Ok i learned this from Marty Friedman, instead of staying in the scale the whole time. Keep switching scales, Like if the A5 is being played, then play the A pentatonic or major or minor or w/e, and then when it switches to D then play some kind of D scale. Or you can apreggiate the chord that is being strummed, but in this case u are very limited as far as apreggios because the are 5th chords.
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin