I'm likely to get a job this summer and I wanna save up for a really nice guitar, I've been playing for almost 3 years or so, so my version of really nice might be more slack than that of others, but anyway, what are your thoughts on the gibson explorer, it seems nice, reviews are great, just want to learn a little more
Solid guitar. You can't really go wrong. Get a more style specific amp and it'll work for what you need.
We're only strays.
Can't go wrong w/ a Gibby ever, you want to see a nice guitar? Check the classified gear forum for the DPZ I am selling if you like Explorers
1980 Gibson Explorer e/2
1979 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty
2006 USA Jackson Select RR1T
So, would you say it would work well with a Traynor YCV50 Blue combo amp? I think it's a pretty nice amp, it could use an extension speaker maybe but I like it, but would that be pretty good for the explorer?
Yeah if you like the sound then go for it. There's no real set "good" combination of guitar + amp.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Traynor... sell it and get a JCM2000 DSL100 and that Explorer will sing
1980 Gibson Explorer e/2
well, I don't really plan on selling it, I just bought it like half a year ago or so, I like the sound and everything from it, of course I'll most likely get a new one within the next year or two, I just like getting new stuff but going from an Epi LP-100 to a Gibson Explorer is a pretty giant leap I think.
get the explorer theyre sick
deff try 1 before you buy though so can mske sure you like the neck and stuff
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Explorers are pretty versatile, it should be a good combo.

I'm going to get one eventually and I play grindcore and metalcore; adversely, there have been classic rock, blues and other musicians that have used Explorers.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jan 18, 2007,
Yeah, luckily where I'll be working is like maybe 5-10 minutes away from a Guitar Center, woohoo!!! so, yeah, hopefully I'll be able to play around and find one I like. Thanks for the input!
Quote by Dean ML Tribute
Traynor... sell it and get a JCM2000 DSL100 and that Explorer will sing

DSL is garbage the traynor will be fine for now from what i have heard they are good amps. Upgrade when your ready if your satisfied thats what is important.

About the Gibson go for it they are amazing guitars. I have 1 and it never steers me wrong. Great feel and amazing tone.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I hear traynor's are great amps!

And to the guy who said, "You can't go wrong with a Gibby"

I wouldn't tend to agree to that statement.

Havn't played an explorer before, but I hear great things about them. Cheers!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Syn Harvest
DSL is garbage the traynor will be fine for now from what i have heard they are good amps. Upgrade when your ready if your satisfied thats what is important.

About the Gibson go for it they are amazing guitars. I have 1 and it never steers me wrong. Great feel and amazing tone.

Are you high? JCM2000 Dual Super Lead 100w sucks? Oh, you must be one of those guys that can't afford one so therefore they suck...

Better get your facts straight
1980 Gibson Explorer e/2
I got one last year as a step up guitar from my first one. Lets just say, I wont need another guitar ever!
Quote by Dean ML Tribute
Are you high? JCM2000 Dual Super Lead 100w sucks? Oh, you must be one of those guys that can't afford one so therefore they suck...

Better get your facts straight

They're definitely not worth the money. And I can't afford one, but that doesn't mean I bash on everything expensive. Some things simply should not be expensive.
yeah, another question would be which seymour duncans would be best in it? I would like quite a bit of versatility, be able to play hard rock and stuff but still get good cleans, I think it's like a JB or something that I was looking at that looked like what I wanted.
Go for it... the exsployer is an awsome guitar i don't think you can go wrong.
Gear:

Guitars:
Jackson King
Ibanez GRG170DX
Replica Stratocaster
Acoustic Crafter

Amp:
Practice Amp

Accesories:
POD X3
POD 2.0
Aria Wah Pedal
Quote by punkrawkdude
yeah, another question would be which seymour duncans would be best in it? I would like quite a bit of versatility, be able to play hard rock and stuff but still get good cleans, I think it's like a JB or something that I was looking at that looked like what I wanted.

The JB/Jazz combo is really popular.

I dunno if the stock pickups are good in the Explorer, because they might be fine in the Gibson varieties.

Btw, in my opinion, the Korina Explorer is the best looking colour. It's absolutely timeless.
yeah, I liked the korina, well, I liked them all, but I think I want the white actually. So a JB/Jazz combo, how much would that be?
What ever you do, don't get the Epi It's a '58 so the neck is real thick and not what you want from that kind of guitar. I believe the Gibsons are '76 re-issues so the neck should be faster.
Hey dude... Check out a Hamer Standard, if you can find them, especially an older one off EBAY (better colours)

I guarantee you, built better and with better stock stuff than Gibson comes with.
Quote by punkrawkdude

Thats a waste of money, the tone from the 496r/500t combo in an explorer is similar to the tone from the duncans.

If you want more gain get EMGs or Dimarzios.

The best tone I've heard on an explorer is an EMG 60 in the neck and a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by SuperSnake2012
What ever you do, don't get the Epi It's a '58 so the neck is real thick and not what you want from that kind of guitar. I believe the Gibsons are '76 re-issues so the neck should be faster.

All Gibson explorers, except for the 58 models that were korina that had the 50's neck, comes with a 22fret Gibson 60's slim taper neck. Its very comfortable. The fretboard radius is 12" which is very flat and very good for shredding and sweeping.

More info on the pickups as well; the bridge pickup which has a ceramic magnet has a dc resistance of about 22.0k and the neck has about 18.0k. Don't quote me on that last part, I'm going off of what Gibson/Nashville told me about my guitar when i bought it over a year ago. The pickups are high output for passive.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I have the Takamine version of the Explorer (circa 1983!) and man, although she's no Gibson.... that shape just rocks. Plan and simple.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by punkrawkdude
yeah, I liked the korina, well, I liked them all, but I think I want the white actually. So a JB/Jazz combo, how much would that be?

Last time I checked, 150-ish CAD.

I'm not sure if it would be worth it to go from stock Gibsons to a JB/Jazz set, cause the Gibsons might actually be nice, or at least give the sound you're looking for.

I'd say save the money to get a good wah. Try some vox's for a classic sound or Morleys for a more modern wah.
Go for the duckbuckers. My friend uses them for blues and jazz solos, then kicks on the distortion for AFI
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by punkrawkdude
I just like getting new stuff

the explorer is pretty amazing, i wanted one for a while, but settled for the sg because i'm kinda small.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
the 500T pickup that comes in the explorer is awesome. some of the best (not just highest) output i've heard from passive pups. and it comes with the matching neck one. i just dropped the 500T into my SG, and it's still runnin' round picking up women well after i'm asleep. and all that extra mahogany in the explorer should eat up the slight treble bite, providing a very stable sound that can still cut heads and drop thongs.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
well i i think you should go for a ESP Explorer. there not made anymore(due to gibson lawsuit) but 've [layed one and there just beautifull.ebayyy if your intressted
My Facebook

MAIN Gear:

Jackson Pro Rhoads

AMP:

Head: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier BLACK FACE

Cab: Mesa Boogie 4x12 Road King Slant