Have been trying to get my head around some theory and am getting somewhere finally with the circle of fifths i think. Can work out the scales for notes , but how do i do it for chords.
It isn't just the same but in chord form
The way to do it for major scales is with the following 'formula'

I ii iii IV V vi vii*

Where capital letters are Major Chords and lower case letters are minor chords, the one with the astrik (supposed to be a degree symbol) is Diminished....

So for example, if you wanted to know the chords for Cmajor it would be:

Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj Gmaj Amin Bdiminished
Here is the C major scale: C D E F G A B. To form the first chord, we take the first note, the third note, and the fifth note, C E G. To form the second chord, we take the second note, fourth note, and sixth note, D F A. To form the third chord, we take the third note, fifth note, and seventh note, E G B. You should see the pattern and be able to form the rest of the chords.

While the formula works for major scales, it falls apart when you get into other scales.
Thanks, great to get same straighyt forward replies that acxtually make sense.
Major and minor are made up of a 1st, 3rd, and 5th note patern. Major is 1-3 is 2 whole steps, and 2-3 is 1 and 1/2 whole steps.
So in the scale of C, C D E F G A B C, C to E is 2 whole steps, and E to G is 1 and 1/2 whole steps, so it works. D to F is 1 and 1/2 whole steps, so it doesn't work. The other two that work are F (F, A, C) and G (G, B, D), so your Major Chords in C major are C, F, and G.

Minor chords are formed just like major chords, only the spacing is swithched, 1-3 is 1 and 1/2 whole steps, and 3-5 is 2 whole steps. Look back at the scale, and you see that C-E is 2 whole steps, so it doesn't work, but D-F is 1 and 1/2 whole steps, and F-A is 2 whole steps, so D works. The other two that work are E and A.
So your minor chords in that scale are Dm, Em, and Am.

So so far, you have 6 chords.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb