Page 1 of 2
ok so i have a Affinity Squier Fender Strat and i have been wanting to mod it for a while. Today i looked under the pickgaurd and to my surprise, the cavities were routed for H-S-H. i think... so im wondering if i can put in 2 humbuckers where the current singles are in the neck and bridge positions... plz make suggestions, thanks

PICS!!
here is the guitar...

the headstock with the squier and affinity logo (along with a signature by john fishman)

the back of the pickgaurd?with all wiring

this is where i want to know if i can put 2 humbuckers into the bridge and neck positions?

and the whole body...naked...
yeah, you could. but you'll need a new pickguard, too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
also, i heard about tilting a pickup a little to make the sound thinner/warmer? is this true, cause i want a hunbucker with a bit brithger sound and a bucker with a dark sound then a singe coil in the middle. Whicgh position should be the "tilted" one, if that makes sense...
Umm...Yeah, you can slant a pickup, to a degree. Towards the bridge.
Your current setup has the bridge pickup tilted towards the bridge.
It'll only brighten the higher strings, though. It's generally done at the bridge, but I guess it could be done anywhere. I don't think you can slant a bridge HB on your guitar, because of the routing.
There's also raising the height, but generally, if your pickup is two nickel's width away from the string, you're good to go. Then if you want, you can raise the treble side a bit...But not too much, always leave at least enough froom for a nickel between the strings. You'll get some nasty overtones.

You can still get a brighter 'bucker....but you won't be able to tilt it. It'll already be brighter because of it's position on the guitar.
By your sig, I assume you play classic rock?
c'mon, bro, help me help you. What's your style?
Every Squier is routed like that. That way, they don't have to have different machines for different routings.

But yeah, that'll work.
ok first of all thanks for all of the info...
i like classic rock/jam band stuff (grateful dead, phish, led zeppelin, etc.)
also, i know that squier isnt high class, what , if any, parts should i replace (bridge,tremelo,tuning pegs,etc.)
Last edited by play th' geetar at Jan 20, 2007,
It isn't high class but so what? That Affinity has an Alder body and some actually like the feel of the Squier neck, so, overalll it's a brilliant platform to mod.

For the bridge, tuners, and even pickup upgrades, check out Guitar Fetish . Lots of GBC modders have had good experiences with them.

If you feel like a gold bridge on a Black or Vintage White Strat, check out their Wilkinson trems.

(Invalid img)
Okay, so you'll need a pickguard like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-White-3-Ply-Pearloid-Pickguard-for-Strat-HSH_W0QQitemZ200071055250QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41424QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And like I said, don't think you can slant yours because of the routing.
Anyway, here's my recommendations:

Neck - SH-PG1 Pearly Gates - Bluesy growl up top, this'll work great for Grateful Dead. Nice top end.
Middle - APS-1 Alnico II Pro staggered - If you plan to use this pickup for clean tones, this pickup will be great for you. Less crunch, softer attack. Good bass responce. Get this one RWRP.
Bridge - SH-11 Custom Custom - Aggressive higher output PAF tone. PAF is THE classic rock tone. You'll be rockin' Zep in no time. Smooth highs, though, so it'll clean up nicely.

Now, hopefully, you'll get 4 conductor humbuckers...so that way, you can have an coil split in the 2 and 4 positions, and get humbcancelling their for the single coil pickup ya got.

Here's a coupla diagrams:
HSH, 5-way, 1 volume, 1 tone, coil tap switch for 2 and 4 positions:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull.html
Lemme draw up a version with two tones...and the second tone control would control the middle pickup and bridge...

If you just want a standard HSH config, no coil split (but I highly recommend it for versatility...):
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/HSH_1v_1t_5w.html
EDIT: ^^thanks! just helpin out.

Okay, drew one up. Had the wrong schem drew up before...This one is the coil tap one.

Oh, and as far as hardware goes...Locking tuners can go a long way on a Strat. And a graphite nute. They have locking tuners at guitar Fetish, I think, where Ippon suggested...but I recommend Sperzel locking tuners. More expensive, but worth it.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 20, 2007,
Quote by Pacifica112J
Every Squier is routed like that. That way, they don't have to have different machines for different routings.

But yeah, that'll work.

not every squire is like that mine is routed HSS, and to threadstarter guitar fetish is a great way to go, pickups from there are good for the price
ok so, an idea popped into my head...
gold (tuning pegs/trees,hardware,knobs,pickups,etc), but red pickgaurd on red guitar.
would this look cool?
any ideas?

and thanks alot! wow u guys have helped sooo much
I think most everyone here is right on. Though some affinity squires are agathis and not alder, either is fine. It is still a solid body, and I actually like the agathis bodies just fine. GFS (guitar fetish) is a great place for parts. I think the pickup list that forsaknazreal listed above is great but a little ambitious. Keep in mind this is still a squire. If you are to replace the neck, Keep an eye on ebay for the mighty might deals that pop in from time to time at around $100 shipped for the birseye. Or even a used MIM Fender standard neck for less. I have done several cheaper guitar upgrades like this and I have always ended up with a true player, but in the end it will cost you more than a higher end guitar. That is why I said the pup list above is a bit ambitious. I think the gold hardware would look great on the red, but when you price the parts including GFS pups at nearly $200 on the low end and more if you replace the neck bringing the grand total to over $500 with the original expense of the squire. Still it's a lot of fun and you can spread out the cost a little making easier on the wallet but in the end you may have a strat you love MORE than you would say a Players deluxe or a MIM signature. Heck even more than good used american, but the cost will be comparable.

This isn't a discouragement though. I still do it all the time. I say go for it, but know the ropes. Honestly if I may offer a mod suggestion and this is one I am going to do soon as well: The Jimmi MONTEREY strat. Do a goodle search for images if you are unfamiliar with it. AWESOME!

R-
Don't drink water, fish #@$! in it.
^that jimi strat looks though, maybe later lol...

ok so, the pickups look good, (where is the best place to buy these specific ones?)
but forsaknazrael... what does RWRP mean?
and i am compleately new to wiring so i need lots of help, lol, what do i do????

i need all info possible (what wires to use, how to attach them to the pots? which wires go to which place? EVERTHING!)
sorry but if you can help thanks ALOT!!!!!
Quote by Pacifica112J

But yeah, that'll work.

Not true. I have a Squier Affinity Strat, routed for SSS.
Is that john fishman as in drummer from phish's autograph? How did you get that?!
Quote by play th' geetar
^that jimi strat looks though, maybe later lol...

ok so, the pickups look good, (where is the best place to buy these specific ones?)
but forsaknazrael... what does RWRP mean?
and i am compleately new to wiring so i need lots of help, lol, what do i do????

i need all info possible (what wires to use, how to attach them to the pots? which wires go to which place? EVERTHING!)
sorry but if you can help thanks ALOT!!!!!

I get my pickups from eBay, but perhaps ordering them from a website is the best option for you, since you'll be needing a RWRP (This means reverse wound, reverse polarity. This ensures that you'll have hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4). What country do you live in? So I can help ya find a dealer that'll order them with a RWRP option. Try eBay, first though. Might be able to find some deals.
EDIT: RWRP might not be a problem, here, actually. You could do without it. Just depends on which coils you use when you split it. So if you find a good deal on eBay, just go for it. Wire it all up like I show in the schematic...and then we'll see if it's hum cancelling. If it isn't, I can help ya out with that.

As far as wiring goes, I posted up a schematic for you, bro, just follow that.
Have you ever soldered anything before?
if not, you'll need:
a 30 watt soldering iron
60/40 tin lead rosin core solder
desoldering braid

and read this: http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/how_to_solder.htm

For extra wire you can buy some at any Radioshack or electronics store, proably 22 AWG is cool. You can also order some at stewmac.com, I believe.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 21, 2007,
Those pickups...do they have bar magnets on the bottom, or is it just foamy stuff?

I've just never seen the bottom of cheap pickups

Oh, and GFS pickups are great, as well as those Wilkinson bridges (this is coming from a happy customer).
Quote by mr_hankey
Those pickups...do they have bar magnets on the bottom, or is it just foamy stuff?

I've just never seen the bottom of cheap pickups

Oh, and GFS pickups are great, as well as those Wilkinson bridges (this is coming from a happy customer).

I have some squier strat pups right here, and yeah, they have a bar magnet on the bottom, and the pole pieces sit on that.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
ok so i know how to solder...
but how do i follow a schematic? is there a difference in where a green wire goes than where a red one goes? and the 4 wires that go into the humbuckers, all attach to the same part of the humbucker? sorry but this is the first time i have wired something more complicated than a flashlight...

and Saltydog914,
for 8th grade, we had to do a project on something big, of the 20th century. Something like world war 2 or watergate (I live in United States , by the way) or in other words something boring. So i decided to do my project on ...PHISH!. So halfway through the project i knew i was going to whip out the guitar during the presentation and play Tweezer...I told the tutor about this and she said, "well you know what is funny about that!. John Fishman bought my house a couple weeks ago!" I was amazed....and i simply asked her..."Get him to come to my presentation." So 1 week later, its presentation day, and the tutor comes up to me and there a kid beside her..wait no, not a kid , John Fishman!!!!!!. He is really short!!!. It was the best day, i played not just tweezer with him, but simple and parts of divided sky...I soloed on all three of the songs, and he would just...play like a god. He would start with just a hi hat and snare, then add in all the toms, the bass drum the symbol, and he would be flailing around, and the sound coming from the drums was amazing.Then after, i got some pictures, and an autograph.
Quote by play th' geetar
but how do i follow a schematic? is there a difference in where a green wire goes than where a red one goes? and the 4 wires that go into the humbuckers, all attach to the same part of the humbucker? sorry but this is the first time i have wired something more complicated than a flashlight...

Of course there's a difference. Just follow the schematic I posted, man. it's pretty clear. Save it to your hard drive.
Quote by forsaknazrael
ok so i get it, but what comes with the piickups?
do they come with the black,white,red and green wires already attached? what parts do i need wires for. And i solder everything? or just where it say solder?
so do the pickups come with the colored wires?

and for the schematic:
ok... well i dont have that thing that is attach to the volume pot(rectangle w/ six dots on it) and what is the green ".047 cap"

and i know i put a "blob" of solder where it say solder and attach wires to that, but for all oter connections, like to the switch, i just het the metal the wire is going to attach to?

sorry but i am compleatly new, Thanks

are there any suggestion as to where i can get the pickups for cheap(i live in USA)
or i could get cheaper pickups from guitar fetish/get 1 or 2 you suggested and 1 or 2 from guitar fetish?
Last edited by play th' geetar at Jan 22, 2007,
No, still use solder for those points, too. And yes, they should come with colored 4 conductor wires.

Here's where ya get the capacitor (.050 microfarads) (You could proably reuse the one in your old wiring setup...actually): http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Caps_(capacitors).html

Here's where ya get the push/pull pot (500K):
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers_and_push-pull_pots/3/Potentiometers_and_Push-Pull_Pots.html
2^ i edited that post

where do i get 60/40 tin lead rosin core solder?
and what do i use a desoldering braid for?
Last edited by play th' geetar at Jan 22, 2007,
Desoldering braid sucks up old solder.
You should be able to get it and that kind of solder from Radioshack. Since you're in the US, you should be able to get em there.

As for pickups, yeah, you can always go for Guitar Fetish. I've never tried em, but everyone here seems like em for a cheap alternative. If you're gonna do that, get the bridge humbucker from Seymour Duncan. eBay'll have the SH-14 for about 60 bucks, but without a chrome cover. Check any local guitar shops, get a quote from them for ordeirng the pickup for you if they don't carry it.
is a SH-14 Custom 5 different from a SH-14 Custom Custom???

Im thinking of getting the bridge and neck pickups but getting the middle one from guitar fetish? What single coil do you suggest?(a good clean tone)
Quote by play th' geetar

and Saltydog914,
for 8th grade, we had to do a project on something big, of the 20th century. Something like world war 2 or watergate (I live in United States , by the way) or in other words something boring. So i decided to do my project on ...PHISH!. So halfway through the project i knew i was going to whip out the guitar during the presentation and play Tweezer...I told the tutor about this and she said, "well you know what is funny about that!. John Fishman bought my house a couple weeks ago!" I was amazed....and i simply asked her..."Get him to come to my presentation." So 1 week later, its presentation day, and the tutor comes up to me and there a kid beside her..wait no, not a kid , John Fishman!!!!!!. He is really short!!!. It was the best day, i played not just tweezer with him, but simple and parts of divided sky...I soloed on all three of the songs, and he would just...play like a god. He would start with just a hi hat and snare, then add in all the toms, the bass drum the symbol, and he would be flailing around, and the sound coming from the drums was amazing.Then after, i got some pictures, and an autograph.

pics, now!
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
lol, sorry, those pics where on my computer but i had to reboot it, so i dont have them, i will try to get a video up or a pic or two, but not in this post.

anyways, this is what i have in mind to buy:

3-Ply White Pearloid HSH Pickgaurd
Pups-Neck=SH-PG1 Pearly Gates
Middle=5.55k Alnico Boutique Single Coil
Bridge= SH-11 Custom Custom
.047 400V Sprague Orange Drop Capacitor
500K Alpha Guitar Push/Pull Potentiometer
/60/40 Tin Lead Rosin Core Solder\
\Desoldering Braid / <From Radioshack

And I MIGHT get these:
Wilkinson Vitage Tremolo(Gold)
Sperzel Locking Tuners
GraphTech Tremnut (Graphite Nut)

So any ideas/suggestions/etc. are very welcome
Thanks
Oh, you should probably get new normal potentiometers.
Like that push pull will do great for one of the tones or something, but you should change the other too, anyway.
So add 2 500K audio taper potentiometers to that list.
I'll say this, though...
Perhaps add in a treble bleed circuit? I use my volume control alot, and I notice it's not really great for the gradual change I'm looking for. A treble bleed circuit is really easy to do, and helps ya clea up your tone better if you use your volume control.
http://www.stewmac.com/wiring101/resistors_capacitors.html

Also, consider using the resistor in that circuit on all the pots, just because it'll make it more even between a humbucker and a single coil. You know what I mean?
Oh, and the anti-shock circuit in that diagram ain't a bad idea, either.
smallbearelec.com, if you decide to go that way. If you do, go with a .033 cap from Small Bear. Also a better compromise between a .022 (humbucker) and a .047(single coil)

Other than that...You pretty much got everything else figured out.
so your saying, keep only the 5 way switch and get 2 new pots and 1 new push/pull pot, which pot should the push/pull one be?(volume, middle tone, bridge tone)
Can you draw in a schematic with the treble bleed...
and the bottom of the pot is where you solder the ground to, but i looked at the push/pull pot ad there isn't a "bottom". So where do you put a ground?
thanks...
Page 1 of 2