I did a search and didnt find anything. I was wondering if anybody could send me a link or explain how to properly play rhythm for jamming. I think I have a basic idea, but whenever I do it, it sounds bland because im just playing the same 3 or 4 chords over and over again. Also, Im terrible at lead improvising and soloing, so if you can find something on that, could you send it to me too? Thanks, and sorry if this has been a huge topic and Im missing an important thread on it or something.
when playing rhythm, it does get a little bland, so try adding little side notes just before you switch to the next one. for instance, when playing a E major, do a g on the high e string just before switching.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
That fact is, a good jam isn't usually spur of the moment. It consists of months of preparation, such as just playing around with your favorite scales, make up your own riffs (to show off), or even by playing other instruments. Learn some scales, some chords, and play around with these adding out of key notes, bends, hammer-ons/pull-offs, harmonics, ect. A good guitar player must be able to play and compose good rhythm as well as a good lead style.
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Jamming is an art form all its own that takes a long time to become a "master jammer." First off, you need to know your guitar well enough to string together ideas fluidly. Next, you need to have your buddies be well enough to play their instruments the same. Finally, you need to all know how each other work and how you want the song to work without saying anything (i.e. someone gradually gets louder, so everyone gets louder).

The whole thing with improvisation and jamming is purely experimental. Sure, you can know all your chord and scale theory to where your playing crazy ideas on top of each other, but most people jam to have fun, not prove how smart they are. Jamming is just about finding your sound, and especially for beginners, finding what sounds good.

If you look up and read how to jam, aren't you in-turn, losing you're own creativity in the process?

Bottom line: Just keep jamming and you'll get it.
Some of the most powerful moments are when there is nothing to be said
Quote by Ocean's Rage

If you look up and read how to jam, aren't you in-turn, losing you're own creativity in the process?

As long as the person knows to take things in stride, and that nothing is concrete, then your statement is quite false.

Learn about key modulation sometime in the future, it will keep the melody-players on their toes.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
just plug in and play any song man jamming songs is the only way to jam be it someones song or just some stuff you just made up it's not that hard unless everyone else wants to be look at me and play something tottally off the song subject
Mourn the living and feed the dead
no offense to the TC but i almost couldn't believe this thread when i saw it. jamming at least to me is about playing what you feel at the moment, it sounds like you need to devote more time to learning what you need to know to really express yourself. if you're playing and you think "it needs to be dirty, like an E dim" then you play it and the transition between the emotion and playing should be virtually nonexistent in that it goes straight from feeling to fretboard. there are really no guides to tell you how to jam, but technique improvements and scale and interval knowledge will help push through how you feel. someone above said "a good jam takes months of preparation" i disagree as i have jammed with many guitarists and they were all always spur of the moment things (and quite good i might add). i still jam by myself (ie just pick up and play without any preconceived thought or notion in mind) and jamming by myself is where about 90% of my music comes from. i recommend more knowledge and overall just jamming more.
jamming is great, if your a bass player, get a guitarist round, make up some shit, you find out how it all works, how to create working basslines, how to put your own fill ins in, better timing. It just comes at the moment, dont be afraid to experiment and change.
here's some simple, essential advice:

LISTEN TO THE DRUMS. PLAY WITH THE DRUMS. FIT YOUR PART IN WITH THE DRUMS.

If your drummer can keep time decently well, you should be able to take a simple four chord progression, play it for like 8 or 16 bars to establish it with the other players, and then once you're in tight with the drummer, start adding little things here and there. even if it's just a slide up to a chord, or a different grip once every other bar, or a little turnaround riff... it's all good. You'll understand and remember your riffs a lot better if you play to the drums.

Oh yeah... obviously, pay attention to your other guitarist and bass player too, but for the sake of the jam, make sure you're playing with the drummer first and foremost.

And like they've all been saying, it takes practice. The more you do it, the easier it gets, and the better you get at guitar. People seem to have this strange conception that good musicians just get together, plug in their amps and magically slam out a three-minute single with hooks and fills and dynamics, with little to no effort. Don't be afraid to play the same damn progression over and over for several minutes just to get it right. The way songs get built from jamming is you come up with a solid basic part, jam it till everyone know the "theme" of the song, and then start trying to add more parts while constantly jamming the riff.