Hey, I figured this goes in here, but if it doesn't, I'll delete it. Anyways, my band's other guitarist wants to tune low. And I mean LOW. Like Drop D down 2 steps (Drop B). I don't have a problem with this guitar-wise, seeing as how I'll be using his guitar, but I'm worried about my amp. It's an old Fender from the 70's, and I don't want to break it permanently or have to spend money replacing the speaker or something. Would this harm it? Keep in mind its for band practice (with drums) so It will be up around 7 or so.

And also, could it harm it being up at high volumes (like 5-10) anyways? How easy is it to damage you speaker or tubes?

Thanks in advance,

Zac
that range wont kill a guitar amp or speaker. some amps will sound better or worse at it than others, but it wont kill anything.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Drop B is actually one and a half steps down. But a few of the things you'd wanna concern yourself is strings and intonation. If you're going to tune down low, I'd reccomend re-stringing your guitar with .012s (like Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky 2626s) if you're using light strings like .008s or .010s. Smaller string gauges usually go slack and sound muddy. You'd want to do the same with your bassists guitar so your band dosen't sound like Korn.

As for the intonation, if you didn't already know, it will need to be reset every time you string up a different gauge of strings. You might also need to adjust your truss rod, but most of the time you don't.

Other than all of that, there's really no way for you to blow out a speaker or tubes because you're tuning down 1 1/2 steps. Whoever told you that is a liar.
Quote by xtreme450
Drop B is actually one and a half steps down. But a few of the things you'd wanna concern yourself is strings and intonation. If you're going to tune down low, I'd reccomend re-stringing your guitar with .012s (like Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky 2626s) if you're using light strings like .008s or .010s. Smaller string gauges usually go slack and sound muddy. You'd want to do the same with your bassists guitar so your band dosen't sound like Korn.

As for the intonation, if you didn't already know, it will need to be reset every time you string up a different gauge of strings. You might also need to adjust your truss rod, but most of the time you don't.

Other than all of that, there's really no way for you to blow out a speaker or tubes because you're tuning down 1 1/2 steps. Whoever told you that is a liar.

Lol, like I said, I'm not worried at all guitar wise, cause he has an extra guitar. He told me that If I wasn't comfortable with my guitar being that low, he'll loan me his shitty one.

And I wasn't told that it would blow it out, just being cautious. Last time we tuned that low, I noticed my amp volume fluctuating.
Quote by xtreme450

Good tips...
I revently switched to the EB Not even slinky's (.012-.56's) and they sound and feel GREAT tuned to C. I dont think that would go any smaller for these low tunings, the tension seems to be about perfect. I can switch between my C guitar and my other guitar tuned standard with .09's and the tension feel is very similar.

I did have to readjust both the truss rod and the intonation when I switched to these strings, but it was worth it!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2