I was playing and I accidently hit open e string, and It sounded good with the power chord then I did it with another one and it sound like crap.

Here's what I played

E|
B|
G|-9
D|-9
A|-7
E|-0

it makes it sound harder.
That's because the open E is an E note, and that chord is an E chord.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Wow!

That's because you're playing the note E in three different octaves.

Edit: Dammit, too slow
It has a chord like that in 'There Is' by Boxcar Racer.

It is an octave chord like this though

e-x
b-x
g-9
d-0
a-7
e-0
I've been playing about three years, but I didn't really get into guitar until last year.
okay, before i go off im sorry in advance if i hurt any feelings and this is not directed at just the threadstarter.

but JESUS CHRIST! LEARN SOME ****ING THEORY PEOPLE!!! or at least some basic note placement! holy ****ing mary and joseph, how can one expect to ever be anything that can be considered a musician without getting pelted by rotten tomatoes or have any respect as a musician if after several years you have essentially learned next to no theory?! YOU ARE NOT HENDRIX.

...again not just picking on one person, just thot this would be the most appropriate place for said quasi-rant
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
okay, before i go off im sorry in advance if i hurt any feelings and this is not directed at just the threadstarter.

but JESUS CHRIST! LEARN SOME ****ING THEORY PEOPLE!!! or at least some basic note placement! holy ****ing mary and joseph, how can one expect to ever be anything that can be considered a musician without getting pelted by rotten tomatoes or have any respect as a musician if after several years you have essentially learned next to no theory?! YOU ARE NOT HENDRIX.

...again not just picking on one person, just thot this would be the most appropriate place for said quasi-rant

Yes, criticize beginning guitarists for not immediately pursuing the knowledge of music theory! Woo hoo!
Quote by yawn

Yes, criticize beginning guitarists for not immediately pursuing the knowledge of music theory! Woo hoo!

im not saying beginning guitarists. thats understandable. i specified people who had been playing for several years and essentially still no nothing about music
Quote by RHCP94
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
im not saying beginning guitarists. thats understandable. i specified people who had been playing for several years and essentially still no nothing about music
Well, the only one in this thread who didn't know about the octave thing was the threadstarter, and he's only been playing seriously for a year.
A year is more then enough time to know an octave if you remotely pursue any sense of music theory.

Im sure I come across a jerk, but your not a musician if you dont know theory, your a guitarist.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
There is really no need to make fun of this person. They were just wondering why something is the way it is, and we answered it.
wow ..... i dont know what to ****ing say, well its a start lol. heres something to play ..... its the intro to rock you like a hurricane

E| |
B| |
G|-9 | x3
D|-9 |
A|-7 |
E| |

E|
B|
G|
D|5 | x2
A|5 |
E|3 |

E|
B|
G|
D|7
A|7 | x 2
E|5 |

E|
B|
G|5 |
D|5 | x1
A|3 |
E|

E|
B|
G|7 | x 2
D|7 |
A|5 |
E|
Fucking Metal all the time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music page
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

but JESUS CHRIST! LEARN SOME ****ING THEORY PEOPLE!!!

Actually it seems like the threadstarter is on the right path to enlightenment. They noticed that a chord shape they were experimenting with sounded cool, and rather than just leaving at at that, their immediate reaction was to ask others why it was so. This not a bad way to learn theory, playing around with the guitar and then asking questions of your findings.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
And yes you can be a musician and not know any theory, you just can't be a musician AND have a decent full time job.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Let me explain it to you with theory you are adding an E note to and E5 chord, which the only two notes in that chord are, E and B. But when you do that for like a D5 chord, it will actually become a Dsus2 because a D chord is made of D A and F#, replacing the F# with the 2nd note in a D major scale, E, your chord becomes a Dsus2.

Adding the lower E to a D5 still makes a Dsus2.

With a C5, you add the open E and it becomes a C major, because a C major is made of C E and G. Adding the open note to a 5 chord (power chord) and you can change the chord.

With an E5 like the one below you have an exception because, you can add all the open notes and it remains and E5. It is just a different voicing.
--------- ] ---0---
--------- ] ---0---
--9----- ] ---9---
--9----- = ---9---
--7----- ] ---7---
--------- ] ---0---
All of you arrogant pricks are idiots. Just because he doesn't know the notes on the fretboard doesn't mean you're any better than he is. Shut the fuck up.

Oh, and before you start bitching, I know a lot of theory myself. But it doesn't make me any better than people who don't.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Dude thats the first power chord in Metallica's Master of Puppets. look it up in the tabs, youl see
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by timi_hendrix
All of you arrogant pricks are idiots. Just because he doesn't know the notes on the fretboard doesn't mean you're any better than he is. Shut the fuck up.

Oh, and before you start bitching, I know a lot of theory myself. But it doesn't make me any better than people who don't.

Actually it does. You don't need to find a book of chords to use new chords
Quote by Guitargod12345
Actually it does.

and apparently no one here can read either. i said specifically that i was NOT directing my comment at the threadstarter, but to all music theory-ignorant musicians
Quote by RHCP94
Last edited by funkdaddyfresh at Jan 19, 2007,
Quote by eltyr18
I've been playing about three years, but I didn't really get into guitar until last year.

3.....years..........