Im trying to learn the song classical gas but before i start i was just wondering what type of skill I would need to have in order to even try at it. Ive been playing 1.5 years.
Ha Ha Your insperation comes from my BOOTY!!!!
You should be able to tell whether you're ready for it or not. We can't evaluate your ability without even knowing what you're currently capable of.
its a good song for starting to learn fingerpicking not extremely difficult but will take a little while to master just practice practice practice and eventually you will get it no matter what skill level your currently at
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Yeah. I learnt it at the 1.5 year mark and it was like the second fingerpicking song I learnt. I'm talking about the Mason version, the Tommy version is harder.

So yeah, just go for it. My tip, I play with the right hand in such a way that you don't use the same finger in a row to pluck a string, because then you won't limit your speed as much.
-Hill
Whether Mason's version, or Tommy's, just make sure you start slow. At least, slow enough for you to get the notes, and at a fairly consistant pace. Do sections at a time, and you'll get it.
I am learning that song right now, and it isnt too difficult. I have been playing for less than three months, and as long as you take your time, its not hard at all.
I have a tip for you.

Print the TAB and rule a Red Vertical line every four bars. The just start with the first 4 bars until you have nailed it, then tackle the next 4 and so on and so on.

Its like climbing a mountain, you climb it in several smaller stages otherwise it is too overwhelming.

Another trick is to get the MP3, and while its playing, follow along with your finger across the TAB

Hope this helps

~ DJ
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 20, 2007,
Thx DJaye thats good advice, I know a few fingerpicked songs like romanza and fur elise, i know beethovens 5th and i can move pretty fast while finger picking its just that i heard from a few people on the forums that it was a really hard song and it sounds it.
Ha Ha Your insperation comes from my BOOTY!!!!
Like they all sayed, you need to play it the good way with your right hand (play the first 3 strings with you thumbs and after that plya with your 3 other finger) and slow the past if it goes a bit too quick for you, you'll see by practicing you will be able to go faster, but you should be able to play it, I learnt the half of it after 3 month of guitar playing and I was able to play it at the good speed.

Anyway the best advice I can give to you is have fun learning it.
Dreaming of freedom is easy to do
You have to fight and win but never lose.
Also, strive for accuracy, not speed. The speed will come once your fingers know where to go.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
No offence DJaye but I don't agree with the 'red line' advice.

If you separate segments that much you can't possibly join finger positions easily. A lot of the time your hands are in chord positions etc and without knowing the flow of the music, and what comes next, you can't position your fingers to have an easy transition between one bit and the next.
I say go for it mate, even if you cant play the bit where it speeds up at least you can play the most widely recognised bit (being the intro). I remember i saw a film about two autistic kids and one of em was about 5 years younger than me and had been playing for 3 weeks but he could play it well. Then i remembered it was a film
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
No offence DJaye but I don't agree with the 'red line' advice.

If you separate segments that much you can't possibly join finger positions easily. A lot of the time your hands are in chord positions etc and without knowing the flow of the music, and what comes next, you can't position your fingers to have an easy transition between one bit and the next.

But it's going to be pretty hard to learn that whole song without separating it into chunks. I hear what your saying, but I just disagree. When he puts it all together he might have to "fix" it up a little but .. much easier to learn 4 bars at a time rather than 30+.