I just watched "An Inconvenient Truth". Scary stuff. Soooo, this thread is to discuss global warming and anything of the like.

note: this thread is not about man-bear-pig.
Quote by Fishy27
bullshit

Even with all of the scientific evidence that makes it obvious we have like 3 times the amount of carbon in the atmosphere than the highest historical times, and the evidence that our temperature is exponentially increasing, you think it's bullshit because good ol' crusader Dubya thinks so?
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I think its bs. Yes the world is heating up, but I believe it is a natural process. Are humans speeding up the process? Yes. Will it cause worldwide destruction? No. He talks about us losing the polar ice caps, but here's my two cents. The earth didn't origionally have ice caps, they were left over from the last ice age.

AND I'LL POST MANBEARPIG WHEREVER I DAMN WELL PLEASE!!

EDIT: To above poster. Historic times? Keep in mind humans have only been here for less than a million years... the earth has been around for about 4.6 BILLION years. We have been keeping records for about the last 20,000 years (give or take). so, lets do the math.

20000/4600000000=

1/230000. Ok, so its the hottest its been in the past 1/230000 of the earths history.

*runs to the hills*
*runs for his life*
Last edited by ckellingc at Jan 18, 2007,
The Earth's temperature is constantly in long, rising and falling trends. Look at a temperature chart going back to 1000 AD. The average temperature erally hasn't changed at all since then. Beleive it or not, we're still emerging fro ma mini-Ice Age that occurred a few centuries ago, with a significant DROP in average temperature. Was that to be feared? Of course not.

Pollution, etc. certainly contributes to the rise in average temeprature, but it isn't the reason it's ocurring. And thus we'll all be loooong dead before "global warming" has any scarring effect.

Politicians use scare tactics like this to control the populous all the time. Terrorism, to an extent, is used in this way too.
i have three words for all u all:

ONE DEGREE FARENHEIT
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
An Inconvenient Proposal
Environmental issues have been important points in recent political issues and are really an impending problem. Global warming is one of the most monumental problems facing us, and is projected to be the most lethal. Global warming is speculated to be caused by the increase in production of green house gases such as methane and CO2. Green house gases are created in many ways but for the current concern, the burning of fossil fuels, mainly from automobiles. With the increase in green house gases, through the green house effect the earths surface is heating up, and the world is seeing the effects as soon as now. If not combated soon, it might become too late for us to save ourselves and our world.
Effects of global warming span all over the globe, and might be broader then first thought. Warming will not just cause the melting of the glaciers and massive flooding (although it will) but many other horrible things. Increasing ocean temperatures, culturing Vibrio parahaemolyticus gastroenteritis in oysters from Prince William Sound in Alaska, a disease which normally would only be able to occur closer to the equator has been blamed on global warming. Plants will actually reduce in growing due to so much carbon dioxide, the opposite effect that was once thought causing faster and faster temperature increases. It is projected that the increase warming will cost over 150 billion US Dollars in the next decade by insurance companies having to pay for epidemics directly caused by the increase in temperature. Eventually the increase in temperature will be so great; the earth will not be inhabitable due to loss of plant life, and other necessities for a healthy ecosystem. Since the problem is growing exponentially, and the worse it gets, the faster it gets worse the clock is ticking down on finding a solution to save not only money, but lives.
Short of a magic global warming machine invented by Al Gore on a past episode of Saturday Night Live, there is no other way to end global warming, so instead of prolonging the doom of the world let’s not procrastinate in a solution, lets set a date for it to end. One of the leading producers of green house gases is America, and therefore we should feel responsible in ending the problem. The United States alone has 5,735 active nuclear armaments and could destroy the world it its entirety several times. As a country the United States could agree to set a date in which the entirety of its territories would destroyed with nuclear weapons therefore ending the possibility of global warming taking over by crushing it at its biggest source.
Deciding to end the lives of over 3 billion people is difficult, and leaders might be swayed by not wanting to basically commit suicide. The date must be set during the next generation, as to provide a full life for what would, to the rest of the world, go on to be known as the greatest generation of all for their contribution. Nuclear Fallout might be a concern of other Countries, of course, being well thought out and strategically executed; the plan should with advances by 2107 be able to succeed with suffering only minor losses in southern Canada and northern Mexico. Sharp population drops of the United States would be projected if the society was told of the impending date, so this must also be kept secret, and be a purely governmental decision. This is absolutely the best and only practical solution that can be proposed. A cut in production of gases of this magnitude would give the world a fighting chance; much like an amputation can give a person a chance to live that has an infected leg.
Critics of the proposal might say why not combat global warming and not accept total defeat? The answer is simple, that’s too much work. America is too set it its way of driving a nine mile per gallon sport utility vehicle from suburbia to the grocery mart everyday and will not change now. Ideas of hybrid cars, biodiesel (Which doesn’t even come up in spell check I might add), and public transportation are laughed at and not taken with any seriousness. A good percentage of Americans are so oblivious that they don’t even believe in global warming, and brush it off as liberal hog wash. It’s so much easier to spend three dollars a gallon to fuel a for earth destroying vehicle then to try to obtain an alternative source of energy so why even try? If America could, through past experience exemplify their willingness to cope with saving the envoirment maybe they could be given the right to try, but they can’t, so the decision must be taken out of the general public, and just made.
If Global Warming is not stopped in the near future, it might go past the point of no return for the world. America being the biggest contributor of the factors needs to be held responsible and take one for the team. The time is now for America to step up to fight in World War III, the war against warming. Just like in World War II, ironically the war will be won by the use of “the bomb” sacrificing a little, to save a lot.
Deluxe American Strat, 3 tone sunburst
Line 6 Spyder III, 75w
I hate the environment so I don't really give a **** about whether Al Gore is right or not.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Yeah it was - 50 here last week. Global warming.. pfft. -50 celsius with the wind chill
ferret.
Quote by ckellingc
I think its bs. Yes the world is heating up, but I believe it is a natural process. Are humans speeding up the process? Yes. Will it cause worldwide destruction? No. He talks about us losing the polar ice caps, but here's my two cents. The earth didn't origionally have ice caps, they were left over from the last ice age.

AND I'LL POST MANBEARPIG WHEREVER I DAMN WELL PLEASE!!

EDIT: To above poster. Historic times? Keep in mind humans have only been here for less than a million years... the earth has been around for about 4.6 BILLION years. We have been keeping records for about the last 20,000 years (give or take). so, lets do the math.

20000/4600000000=

1/230000. Ok, so its the hottest its been in the past 1/230000 of the earths history.

*runs to the hills*
*runs for his life*

Also be away that we can take core samples from the earth and see what the weather was like hundreds of thousands of years if not millions so we do have a good idea about the history of the earth
Hey
i dont expect people to read that, i just wrote it last night for my english class, its a satire though, so think about it
Line 6 Spyder III, 75w
Quote by ckellingc

20000/4600000000=

*runs to the hills*
*runs for his life*

There are records going back I believe 400 000 years through ice drilling, and it's a fairly substantial increase around our time.

Worldwide catastrophe might be a stretch, though there's potential for a lot of bad. See, we're accustomed to having the ice caps, so if they melt and the oceans rise, that displaces a hell of a lot of people living in coastal regions. Also, the water could disrupt important ocean currents such as the Gulf Stream, which is the reason Europe isn't half frozen over.

There are things to be concerned about because things will get bad if nothing is done. Gore did take a bit of a scaremonger route, but maybe that needed to be done to get people's attention on the subject.
Quote by AzureNight
Even with all of the scientific evidence that makes it obvious we have like 3 times the amount of carbon in the atmosphere than the highest historical times, and the evidence that our temperature is exponentially increasing, you think it's bullshit because good ol' crusader Dubya thinks so?

who the hell is crusader dubya?
I think alot of people assoiciate then end of human civilization with the end of the world, in other words they think the disaster that destroys us will end the world soon after. This world will be hear alot longer than any of us will. Do people really think a little plastic will destroy the world??
Hey
The European Union has done a lot for global warming, but at what expense. Germany's energy bill alone was $9 billion USD more this year than last. If other large industrialized countries do not sign on (US, China) then those who do are basically just siphoning money out of their economies for no benefit.
random guy: That looks like a pigbearman!!!

Al Gore:No you idiot, it's a manbearpig!!

pepsi
Quote by moviesdude3
An Inconvenient Proposal
Environmental issues have been important points in recent political issues and are really an impending problem. Global warming is one of the most monumental problems facing us, and is projected to be the most lethal. Global warming is speculated to be caused by the increase in production of green house gases such as methane and CO2. Green house gases are created in many ways but for the current concern, the burning of fossil fuels, mainly from automobiles. With the increase in green house gases, through the green house effect the earths surface is heating up, and the world is seeing the effects as soon as now. If not combated soon, it might become too late for us to save ourselves and our world.
Effects of global warming span all over the globe, and might be broader then first thought. Warming will not just cause the melting of the glaciers and massive flooding (although it will) but many other horrible things. Increasing ocean temperatures, culturing Vibrio parahaemolyticus gastroenteritis in oysters from Prince William Sound in Alaska, a disease which normally would only be able to occur closer to the equator has been blamed on global warming. Plants will actually reduce in growing due to so much carbon dioxide, the opposite effect that was once thought causing faster and faster temperature increases. It is projected that the increase warming will cost over 150 billion US Dollars in the next decade by insurance companies having to pay for epidemics directly caused by the increase in temperature. Eventually the increase in temperature will be so great; the earth will not be inhabitable due to loss of plant life, and other necessities for a healthy ecosystem. Since the problem is growing exponentially, and the worse it gets, the faster it gets worse the clock is ticking down on finding a solution to save not only money, but lives.
Short of a magic global warming machine invented by Al Gore on a past episode of Saturday Night Live, there is no other way to end global warming, so instead of prolonging the doom of the world let’s not procrastinate in a solution, lets set a date for it to end. One of the leading producers of green house gases is America, and therefore we should feel responsible in ending the problem. The United States alone has 5,735 active nuclear armaments and could destroy the world it its entirety several times. As a country the United States could agree to set a date in which the entirety of its territories would destroyed with nuclear weapons therefore ending the possibility of global warming taking over by crushing it at its biggest source.
Deciding to end the lives of over 3 billion people is difficult, and leaders might be swayed by not wanting to basically commit suicide. The date must be set during the next generation, as to provide a full life for what would, to the rest of the world, go on to be known as the greatest generation of all for their contribution. Nuclear Fallout might be a concern of other Countries, of course, being well thought out and strategically executed; the plan should with advances by 2107 be able to succeed with suffering only minor losses in southern Canada and northern Mexico. Sharp population drops of the United States would be projected if the society was told of the impending date, so this must also be kept secret, and be a purely governmental decision. This is absolutely the best and only practical solution that can be proposed. A cut in production of gases of this magnitude would give the world a fighting chance; much like an amputation can give a person a chance to live that has an infected leg.
Critics of the proposal might say why not combat global warming and not accept total defeat? The answer is simple, that’s too much work. America is too set it its way of driving a nine mile per gallon sport utility vehicle from suburbia to the grocery mart everyday and will not change now. Ideas of hybrid cars, biodiesel (Which doesn’t even come up in spell check I might add), and public transportation are laughed at and not taken with any seriousness. A good percentage of Americans are so oblivious that they don’t even believe in global warming, and brush it off as liberal hog wash. It’s so much easier to spend three dollars a gallon to fuel a for earth destroying vehicle then to try to obtain an alternative source of energy so why even try? If America could, through past experience exemplify their willingness to cope with saving the envoirment maybe they could be given the right to try, but they can’t, so the decision must be taken out of the general public, and just made.
If Global Warming is not stopped in the near future, it might go past the point of no return for the world. America being the biggest contributor of the factors needs to be held responsible and take one for the team. The time is now for America to step up to fight in World War III, the war against warming. Just like in World War II, ironically the war will be won by the use of “the bomb” sacrificing a little, to save a lot.

TL;DR
Quote by ih8u2
TL;DR

too long; dont read? good call its pretty dry, and not worth it, but on subject
Line 6 Spyder III, 75w
Quote by Fishy27
who the hell is crusader dubya?

I believe he's referring to our current President.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I'm being totally serial.

I love the bit at the begginning of that south park episode where al gore is on the basketball court after stan, kyle etc have left and he's just there, awkwardly

SO true
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
You do all realize that Manbearpig is a metaphor for global warming, right?

No shit sherlock. thats why its even funnier bc if u think about it IT NEVER HURTS ANYONE

Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
Forget politics, we need to come together as humans and fix the problem.

I agree totally. But is global warming that big of a problem?
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
I'm mixed because good points are made both ways, for and against. I think regardless of whether it's true or not, the evidence and the OTHER views on the subject are sometimes skewed by it's supporters to scare people into giving them a better political position.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
It's january right? It's like springtime outside. No blizzards, no snow, no unbearable cold, no traffic jams. I LOVE it. Go global warming! I'm super serial!
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
If you don't believe in global warming, you're dumb. My girlfriend's mom is a climate scientist, and even though she scares the sh*t out of me, she knows what she's talking about. My science teacher suggested to my enriched science class that we would have a debate about global warming, and everyone laughed, and then he told us he was kidding. If you don't believe in global warming, then you're competing against the consensus of just about everyone that knows what they're talking about anywhere, especially the people that don't have vested economic interests.

The argument that global warming is exaggerated by environmentalists to justify political gains is, at least in general, ridiculous. If you're looking for skew, then go to any of the various websites supported by oil or even coal companies set up to use bad science to make themselves look good.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"