Anyone??? I use dimarzio from my guitar to my pedal board and then 6" hosa from pedal to pedal and then another dimarzio but is there a certain cable i should buy for hooking the head to the cab? Reason i ask is cuz i was at my local shop the other day and the cables they were using were a lot thicker than a standard instrument cable although they had the same jack.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Monster Cables. For the win.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
Yeah, you need a speaker cable. I can't tell you the technical reason, but, it's what you should use.
^^They handle much higher voltages than instrument cables, I think. Plus they come much shorter because they don't have far to go.
monster cable is crap, conquest speaker cable is what your looking for, lifetime warranty.
the difference between an instrument and a speaker cable is basically the thickness of the wiring on the inside allowing it to carry a heavier current, for going from the head to the cabinet I would recommend speaker cable
from my experience, it doesn't really make much of a difference. i've used both, and i'd truly say that speaker cable is a bit of a gimmick. if it's not too much more, go for it, but if there's a big price difference, regular cable gets the job done fine. you don't really need any more current than that.
Ear candy, they make the best instrument and signal cables around. And they're not excessively overpriced like the monster crap. Not to mention, they make some awesomeeeeeee cabs.
Quote by freedumb
from my experience, it doesn't really make much of a difference. i've used both, and i'd truly say that speaker cable is a bit of a gimmick. if it's not too much more, go for it, but if there's a big price difference, regular cable gets the job done fine. you don't really need any more current than that.

It makes a big difference, never run an instrument cable from head to cab. If it didn't make a difference they would all be the same. Not to mention the signal loss due to a cable being way too long. I went through all the thicknesses required for certain wattages in my car stereo setup and there formulas to prove just how thick and long a cable needs to be to conduct a signal with minimal loss.
Last edited by treagar at Jan 19, 2007,
i suggest cardas crosslink www.lavacable.com
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by freedumb

It's not so much a sound issue as an insurance and safety issue.

An instrument speaker cable can blow if you put too much power through it. Then you'll have an open connection between your two output transformer leads and it can blow the transformer in your amp, which will cost generally 80 bucks at the very least minimum. Be safe and protect your gear-use a speaker cable.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
It's not so much a sound issue as an insurance and safety issue.

An instrument speaker cable can blow if you put too much power through it. Then you'll have an open connection between your two output transformer leads and it can blow the transformer in your amp, which will cost generally 80 bucks at the very least minimum. Be safe and protect your gear-use a speaker cable.

I bought an ernie ball speaker cable, and it's about 25 feet long, it was the only speaker cable I could find. Is there possible signal loss in using something like that?