I've been getting pretty bored lately in my down time between classes at college and i'm wondering if the Roland Micro-Cube is the way to go for some quiet guitar playing. I see its only a couple watts and thats good because my room is right next to the RA and it does have a head phone jack so thats a big plus. I've looked through the forums and the effects seem like there decent enough so this looks like a pretty good option for me since i pretty much play all kinds of rock. Are there any other amps in this price range ($125) that i should also be considering? thanks.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncan SH-6 in bridge)
Fender 50's Stratocaster (Duncan Hotrails in bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster (Fender SCN Pickups)
Marshall JCM 900 4500
Vox DA5
hey man if your lookin for a small, cheap ($99), pretty loud 15 watt amp, go with the new Line 6 Spider III. I actually live in a dorm too and I went with the Line 6 guitar port to hook through my laptop since I have some decent speakers but this little thing is great. Has alot of tone and pretty much everything you need.

If you want to check it out. Go here.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276

later.
i like my pignose
it has only 20 watts - but you can get it with 5 (i think) too

and it sounds awesome

and btw...frank zappa used pignose amps...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
do NOT get a line 6... microcube or the vox version, a DA5.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
Quote by musicofthenite
do NOT get a line 6... microcube or the vox version, a DA5.

Word up. For rock I think I'd go with the Vox, the Microcube excels in high-gain territory though.
Quote by maxter0
For rock I think I'd go with the Vox, the Microcube excels in high-gain territory though.

^ +1 for the DA5. Compare it side by side with the Cube and see what suits you better.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
teh pignose would be sweet. but i hear nothgin but good things about the microcube. But for uni, there is no way im going to get rd of my mesa stack though!
Quote by slatsmania
^ +1 for the DA5. Compare it side by side with the Cube and see what suits you better.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the archives but I am considering getting a Micro-Cube and haven't heard of the DA5. Is the DA5 a Vox? Thanks.
Yup. DA5 is the Vox.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Quote by hendriko
i like my pignose
it has only 20 watts - but you can get it with 5 (i think) too

and it sounds awesome

and btw...frank zappa used pignose amps...

Pignose!!!

hello fellow member of the pignose club.

Seriously. pignose amps are great. the 3 watt version is loud enough but not too loud. with a mic you can even take it to a stadium and rock with it, and it can be battery powered and hung on a strap to run around with. \m/
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
he has a DA5, it says so in his sig
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
da5 is a good option. also, just for dorm room practice, i liked the line 6 spider ii. the spider iii is a little hokey for me, but the ii was pretty good--especially since it gave you the option of 36 different footswitchable presets (with the floorboard).
cubes are absurd amounts of fun for how small they are and what they cost. even a mic input setting if you want to scare the drunks sh*ts down the hall. and the vox da5 can get surprisingly loud for what it is as well as a bunch of little FX to keep you entertained
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I just noticed that the Cube 15X has a lower price than the Micro-Cube. Does the Micr-Cube have more options? I know that the 15X has more power and a bigger speaker which I thought would be more money.
from what I remember, the 15 x has a slightly bigger speaker, more power (15 watts) 3 band EQ, but less FX than the micro cube. micro cube has a bunch of FX coupled with total portability (can run on batteries!!!!), however, only a 'tone' control
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
go for the 15x.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Kustom KGA10FX. It is a smaller 10watt practice amp, but it is really good. It should only cost about $120 I think.