There harder to get to the tuning keys, for me.

The look stupid.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Yeah Jimi Hendrix looked so stupid....
Sex is like a gun, you aim, you shoot, you run - Steven Tyler, Aerosmith
Quote by deansouthpaw
Yeah Jimi Hendrix looked so stupid....

agreed
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

He played the entire guitar upside down, so technically the headstock isn't different.
All of my amps go up to 11
Its just preference on looks..
no real difference.. some say its string tension but it doesn't really matter, cause it breaks the same on the nut...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
I like em.

Well, the lowest e string, has stretched more, so it will be much less floppy when it's on Drop C or something, and the high E will break less due to less tension, so crazy bends are easier.

Yep.
jackson and ibanez look ****ing bad ass with the reverse headstock i think ..... dont put one on a strat though b / c its unorigional and the jackson and ibanez thing is kind of universal now for metal players i think ..... idk im saving up for a badass jackson with emgs, 24 frets, neck through body, and the reverse headstock ..... i cant ****ing wait
Fucking Metal all the time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music page
Quote by Invictious
I like em.

Well, the lowest e string, has stretched more, so it will be much less floppy when it's on Drop C or something, and the high E will break less due to less tension, so crazy bends are easier.

Yep.

The tension behind the nut doesn't make a difference to the overall tension, I believe. I was a little surprised when I first heard that, but it does make sense when you think about it. However, the tone does change because of the angle of the string over the nut.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
i think they look awsom! but hey doesnt really matter wich way it is!
ibanez rga121 ntf prestige
tanglewood tw28snq
marshall mg15dfx
jim dunlop crybaby
Reverse headstocks does infact makes you look cooler because they sepparates you from the others, however reverse headstocks on strats and V:s is a big
i think they are better balanced, with the tuners on the bottom. might not make a dif depending on the guitar.
what
I don't mind them they are just for looks.
Xbox 360 Gamertag - TheTacoDoctor
Just send a message saying your from UG.
CoD4 anyone?
Actually I had the same question. I wanted to put one on my strat build.

Can I just buy a lefty neck and attach that or would I have to do a lot of adjustments to it so it works since I'm a righty. Is there a place where I could just buy a righty neck with reverse headstock if the other idea would be too much trouble?
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
It's purely asthetics. The way the headstock is reversed has nothing to do with string tension, at all. String tension remains constant through out the entire length of the string, it's basic physics. If string tension was less, you'd be out of tune.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by LilVikingboy

Can I just buy a lefty neck and attach that or would I have to do a lot of adjustments to it so it works since I'm a righty. Is there a place where I could just buy a righty neck with reverse headstock if the other idea would be too much trouble?

All you'd have to do is flip the nut. You may have to drill holes into the butt of the neck where it attaches to the body, but it isn't likely.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I read that adds sustain. Why? Don't have a clue....
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
I read that adds sustain. Why? Don't have a clue....

That's false. Reversing the headstock has nothing to do with sustain.
Its got a diffrent tone, and the tenisions are reversed a little, so high e is looser and low e is tighter.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by LilVikingboy

goto warmoth.com

i think that they just look cool....
Quote by bs5538
He played the entire guitar upside down, so technically the headstock isn't different.

Technically it was strung backwards so it was exactly like a reverse headstock.

I win :P
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by merfsullivan
They're kinda annoying to tune because they're backwards

Yeah. Tuning upside-down is certainly.. different, and takes a bit to get used to. Otherwise, they are the same. And they look cool.
Quote by zekk
Its got a diffrent tone, and the tenisions are reversed a little, so high e is looser and low e is tighter.

You'd be out of tune if the tensions are 'reversed'.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
It's purely asthetics. The way the headstock is reversed has nothing to do with string tension, at all. String tension remains constant through out the entire length of the string, it's basic physics. If string tension was less, you'd be out of tune.

Chris

It's not purely aesthetic, as, as I already said, the strings have a slightly different angle over the nut and so the tone is slightly different. I don't think there'd be a huge difference, but it'd be there.

Quote by zekk

Please read the damn thread, man! Or at least know what you're talking about!

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by AlGeeEater
You'd be out of tune if the tensions are 'reversed'.

Chris

No you would not! The length is switched around, so the high E is the shortest and the low E is the longest, so there's a little less tension on the high E and a little more on the low E, reverse to what it normally is.
^^Wrong! Look on the back of a pack of d'Addario strings and you'll see a chart with the tensions needed for each string to have the guitar in E Standard tuning. Their is a note which reads something to the effect of 'Tension measurements based on a 25.5 scale guitar.' It does NOT add 'if it's got a 6-aside headstock' for the obvious reason that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference!

heh, if tensions were different when the stock is reversed, then a MM head stock (4:2 i think) would also have different tensions, and so would a LP Head stock (3:3) ...
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
^^Exactly!

Well I'm not going to pretend that I'm an expert on guitar string physics, I'm certainly not, but thinking upon the matter I reckon I know why there's such a division. so here's my 2 cents.
Lets assume we're not talking about a locking nut, in which case the guys who say the tention doesn't change with a different headstock would be right.
First, the tention for a tuned string (the tention rating on the back of a string packet) IS a constant value, but the tention that the packet is refering to is that of the "speaking" segment of the string, from nut to bridge. not the entire string segment from bridge to peg, which is a different (slightly looser) tention (this bit should already be pretty obvious to most ppl). since I'm talking about a guitar with a NON-locking nut, which is polished and allows the strings to slide back and forth, that extra part of the string from nut to peg does come into play. For example, when bending a string on the fretboard, the string slides a little bit (a very litle bit!) through the nut towards where the bend is being made and you therefore increase the tention of the string along the headstock aswell as along the fretboard, this means that you won't have to bend the low e string as far on the fretboard while using a regular headstock (where the string goes only just past the nut to the closest peg on the headstock) as you would have to on a guitar with a reverse headstock (where the string goes further past the nut and attaches to the furthest peg). However, the fact that the part of the string over the headstock is a relatively small percentage of the total string length and the fact that there will always be SOME friction between the string and the nut slot means that the difference between regular and reverse headstocks will be very slight, and you probably won't notice a change in the amount that you have to bend to get the same pitch no matter what kind of headstock you are using.
As I said earlier, I have no experience in this area and I'll be very suprised if I have this all right or if I haven't ignored some other important factor. But if you're not convinced, then pick up your guitar and pluck the string over the headstock while bending on the fretboard. You'll notice that it changes tune, which of course means that the tention is changing.
Last edited by Iorek at Jan 16, 2008,
I'll second that Warmoth recommendation, I've got a tele that I put a reverse headstock strat neck on, and the thing is killer.
The price was reasonable too!!!
I got it unfinished (did that myself with wipe on poly and steel wool), black dot position markers, drilled for Grover tuners, and stainless steel frets, and the bill came out to 132 bucks, if I remember correctly.