ok. i need some advice, and seeing as this is the only place i can really go to ask for advice, and get so many different responces from so many different backgrounds and age groups. here it goes. bare with me. grammar aside.

im 18 years old. about to graduate high school. i thought i knew what i wanted to do for my career choice, but have recently decided that im not sure if thats what i want to do anymore. but i have also recently been thinking of becoming a "drifter". i think i want to travel the world, and experience it for myself. as an 18 year old and a senior in high school, from what i hear from adults, life after high school sounds so bleek and pointless. go to college get a career, do that for a good 30-40 years, retire and die.

my new idea would be this......stick around at home for about a year or so, save up alot of money, then just bail. leave this country. go to some other country and live there for a couple months. get a job, and experience that country. i dont want to be on a long term vacation. i want to experience the country for its culture, their ethics. everything. then once i feel like iv had enough of a country i would move away and repeat the process.

i think that if i learned a trade that was universally desireable. i could somewhat easily get a job anywhere. but i dont know what that type of job would be. at first i was thinking....become a scuba diver. but like i said up there, i want to explore the world, not just the sea. then i thought about selling my sperm and "planting my seed around the world!!!!!" and building an army!!!! (pure fantasy on that one of course).

now for the advice. im sure some of you here on ug have experience this and dealt with it some way or another. i want to know what you think of this, what you did/propose i do. and lets be mature about this. i dont need to hear how you think i need to grow up and just go with the flow of society. i googled this before i posted this thread. i didnt really get anything that was useful to me. just alot of websites about "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo DRIFT". nothing useful to me.

for those of you who have read all of this and stuck through it, thank you. any serious feedback is much appreciated.
dont judge a guy by the guitar he plays, but how he plays it
Be prepared, learn the laws in the countries you're going to. Perhaps learn about their language and culture, have enough money for you to survive for as long as you can.

40 years of drifting sounds too long, and what about your millions of kids?
yo.

I BELIEVE
its your life dude and you only live once...if thats what you weant to do then do it...ya dont want to be 30 years down the track regretting shit you never did that you always wanted to do
Backpack around eroupe, thats my dream just remeber thou know matter how long you go away for when you return you will have to go back to a normal life
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
, i dont think i want to do this for 40 years. obviously im sure i would want to settle down. but yes while i was staying here at home, i was thinking of going to a local community college and taking different language classes. pick the most widely used languages.
my philosophy...to him his own......do what you want......i would love to do the same thing.....trave the world and see it all.......Scandinavia is my number one stop........but europe....japan.......china........australia........i was to see it all......will this happen......in my fantasies yes but in real life....only if i can sell 1 million records and do a world tour.
Since you won't be a legal resident of the countries you go to you might not be able to work legally like when mexicans come to america. I'm not sure though. I've thought of doing the same thing. Maybe you should take me with you.
dude...college sucks...then getting a job sucks...if you don't know what you want to do i definitely think taking a year off is the right way to go, i wish i would have done that...the drifting part seems cool, you could work for a year here then go to vietnam and be rich, like 1 dollar buys you a nice dinner...but eventually you'll wanna come back to the states nd probably go to school, but for a few years hell why not do it while you're young...also, become a mechanic
yah dude, do it! i've been thinking about it myself as I am a Junior and have one more year until i have to become another drone for society
You can get a working visa, in europe they have an EU visa, so as long as you're in a country thats in the EU you should be able to work there.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Iv always wanted to be a drifter kinda like that, you'd kinda be like a midget running around, geting in all kinds of shinanagins and what not. But shit like that doesnt seem to work out for me.
When Hunting for Bald Eagle, Don't Forget teh Rubber.
now you're making me think i want to become a drifter...or at least just pick up and move somewhere where no one knows me...kinda like that "boston" song by augustana
yes i totally thought about that. because i know that some countries will not let you live there unless you can show them that you are going to contribute to their economy. and obviously i cant live there if im just gonna move shortly and not contribute. but ok lets think this way now. lets say i move to a country and stay at something like.....the equivant of a Motel 8 or something like that. so technically could i just be on vacation.....but work illegally right?
look, everyone would love to be able to drift around the world for all their lives, but the world doesn't work like that, you need money to do that, lots of money, also you need to know languages, if you go backpacking through all of europe knowing only english you are ****ed, at least learn spanish, english, german and maybe chinese if you wan't to go to asia, the easiest thing is going through all of America (not US, ALL OF AMERICA) since you can go around knowing little spanish and full english.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
go to a third world country...they will not care if you work, especially if you just provide a service such as whatever skill you learn
ok. bmac85. its funny that you say become a mechanic. because as of right now, thats what im set at and thats what im having second thoughts about. and like i said in my other post. i would take some classes on the most widely popular languages. that way im not completely ****ed. only partially ****ed with the details of a language.
really, tour all of america, you just need a little spanish and you are set, I don't think any country will care if you are working there ilegally

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
and the third world country thing. that would fall under the "travel the world and explore different cultures" thing. but it still makes total sense to do that also. because i could totally contribute to a third world country. i think.
ok well i have school in the morning so im gonna get going. anymore feedback is still appreciative. even if it is someone being a total realist and pointing out every flaw in my idea. thats another reason i did this. i want to know what others opinions are.

thanks again.
im gunna do that cept i think im just gunna leave town and play guitar. find gigs in bars and stuff and just travel from state to state. i dont really care if im rich i just want to play guitar for the rest of my life.
Well maybe you should get an apprenticeship first, and complete that. Then you are qualified as something. Or finish collage and be qualified as something else. Then make your decision. Also if you have good qualifications you could get jobs anywhere in the world.
You where right about Trades. I'm not 100% sure but I think they're in high demand around the world. I mean here in Canada, there's gunna be a huge loss of Tradesmen in the next 7-10 years. Estimated 600,000 are retiring, with another 400,000 job oppurtunities opening up due to technilogical advancement and population rises. If you're a Contracted Electrician in Canada, expect to making only about, oh, $40-50/h.

Good luck with your travels mate, since it ain't my life and I don't have to suffer the possible reprecussions, I support you 100%!

Oh and write a book about it, called 'From UG to Uganda' or something.
Quote by Kartman

Way to go, guitar_man_guy!

(You should sig me)

Co-Founder of the 'Heretics And/Or Killers'(Protest the Hero Fan Club) P.M Me or T0xicitY to join!
Go to some developing nation and volunteer there. That way, you'll learn skills and whatnot that would look really good on a resume when you decide to go back to find a job.

That's something I want to do eventually.
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Jan 19, 2007,
You're missing out on college then.

<3 college
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

you could always get a good job, get alot of money, then travel the world rich, enjoying the experience tenfold.... aduh
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
Quote by guitar_man_guy
You where right about Trades. I'm not 100% sure but I think they're in high demand around the world. I mean here in Canada, there's gunna be a huge loss of Tradesmen in the next 7-10 years. Estimated 600,000 are retiring, with another 400,000 job oppurtunities opening up due to technilogical advancement and population rises. If you're a Contracted Electrician in Canada, expect to making only about, oh, $40-50/h.

Good luck with your travels mate, since it ain't my life and I don't have to suffer the possible reprecussions, I support you 100%!

Oh and write a book about it, called 'From UG to Uganda' or something.

- Thats brilliant.
Also no_offence, thats a pretty cool idea you have there. It sounds interesting.
I mean I have no imagination and no ambition so I wouldnt have though of anything like that. But I hope, if you do chose to travel the world like a 'Drifter' it all goes well for you.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
Sounds good. Your right, adult life after Education is kind of pointless. Go and see the world.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)