ok so i have been playing guitar for about 4-5 months. I learned stairway to heaven about a week ago and i have the whole song down except the solo. I cant do the fast part in the middle just after the intro to the solo, but i can do the end and the start. How long did it take you guys before you could play this, because its doing my head in not being able to play this part.
took me 5 days to do it right but ive been playing than for about 6 monthes
Quote:
guy-get an ak-47 shoot him and blame it on his dog
man-he dont have one... can someone siriously help me?!
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
You know they make picks that make you play really fast, if it's too difficult just buy one of them, don't waste your time practising.
Took me about a day or two too master it completely, but that was after playing for a year, look for videos on youube, listen to the song over and over again, take out small runs and play them over and over again untill they play fluidly. That's the best I can offer.
Quote by phalliccymbals
You know they make picks that make you play really fast, if it's too difficult just buy one of them, don't waste your time practising.

wtf
Yeah maybe i'll just buy one of those magical picks. Or, more realistically i'll just practice and learn it the old fashioned way. Ive only been at the solo today, got most of it down apart from the wee quick run in the middle........its driving me crazy.
im assuming youre talking about that little bending/pulloff lick in the middle?

took me a bit of practice to get that down.. just work on it really slowly so you get the right technique and gradually build up to speed. thats the only way to do it apart from buying one of those magical picks...
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Well Stairway to Heaven was the first song I started with and the first song I learned. Took 3 months to play it all the way through. Oddly enough I could do the solo much easier then all the chord changes and finger picking. Guess I was a born lead guitarist.
Where would one get one of these "magical picks"?Black Market? You didn't hear it from me either....

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Shittone i mean silvertone revolver
Cube 60

Originally Posted by sendmeapick
you pick squires over gibsons?

thats like michael jackson over jessica alba
Where would one get one of these "magical picks"?Black Market? You didn't hear it from me either....

Under the strings of Angus Young's SG in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame....at the top of Guitarway to Heaven

Although it is easier to pick accurately with a heavier pick than a thinner one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Under the strings of Angus Young's SG in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame....at the top of Guitarway to Heaven

Although it is easier to pick accurately with a heavier pick than a thinner one.

hmm, i think i might be paying a visit to rock and roll hall of fame...

its easier to pick accurately with a heavy pick?hmm, I'm going to get some heavier picks next time and try em out.

EDIT omg my friend showed me the wishmaster video, it was sooo funny xD i just realised it was in ur sig

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Shittone i mean silvertone revolver
Cube 60

Originally Posted by sendmeapick
you pick squires over gibsons?

thats like michael jackson over jessica alba
Yep, thicker pick means it's harder to bend.Therefore less likelihood of hitting other strings.
I don't like thin picks. I use 2.0 mm ones, those big triangular ones.
couple of weeks i took.
the middle part where page bend/pulloff pretty quick
that took a long time. wasn't so inspired to play this solo much tho
not as much as the crossroads guitar solo
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by phalliccymbals

Okay right person

YOU shop at American Eagle don't you?
Quote by st.jimmy4091680

YOU shop at American Eagle don't you?

You just got to practice. It took me a day, but I have a huge learning curve.

Just keep at it.

PS: Don't let the 1 day thing discourage you.
Except for the intro, I'd say the solo is one of the easier parts to the song. All the chord changes and trying to remember everything IMO is much harder than playing the Aminor pentatonic.

Learn the pentatonic minor scale before you try the solo. You won't think of the solo being tabbed out as a bunch of random notes selected to sound good, you'll be like Ohhhh, thats why he plays that note.

It makes learning much more fluid.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio