Hi,

I`ve recently bought Modern Method for Guitar DVD by Berklee (http://www.berkleepress.com/catalog/product?product_id=4675812)
and I wonder why does Larry Baione always use "pick rest strokes".

Whenever he plays a note, the pick rests on next string.
What is that good for?

And why does he use only donwstroaks when playing quarter notes?
Shouldn`t I rather use alternate picking?

Thanks for replies.
I assume that it makes it easier for him to hit other strings after he's finished playing a lick. Personally, I think that's a bad idea. Apart from the fact that it requires a need for unnecessary dampning, it's not very much more efficient than holding the pick above the strings slightly.

On the alternate picking question: I honestly believe that you should be alternate picking every phrase you come across, no matter if fast or slow. Not only does it improve your alternate picking technique, but it also reduces the effort of your wrist, which is important for endurance playing.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I think he probably just uses downpicking as it's easier to keep in time....
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
Quote by BLOODLETTING
I think he probably just uses downpicking as it's easier to keep in time....

No. Just... no. I... mmm no. Stop giving advice for a couple of months.

threadstarter: I'm with smokey.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Quote by wmzbomgzors
No. Just... no. I... mmm no. Stop giving advice for a couple of months.

threadstarter: I'm with smokey.

Yeah, thanks. Don't be a ****ing dickhead about it, k? I tried to give input, I don't need you telling me off like you're some ****ing god. For me, downpicking is much easier on slower stuff, so I posted that. Thanks for your help.
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
Quote by Smokey Amp
On the alternate picking question: I honestly believe that you should be alternate picking every phrase you come across, no matter if fast or slow. Not only does it improve your alternate picking technique, but it also reduces the effort of your wrist, which is important for endurance playing.
I agree, it's just a good idea in general.
Well, it depends on how fast the quarter notes are and on what strings you're playing them. If you're switching strings, then go ahead and use alternate picking. Honestly i'd use downstrokes just because if I'm playing powerchords or something in quarter notes then using downstrokes makes for a cleaner sound.